started a topic M/S Rogaland

M/S Rogaland

M/S Rogaland,
    Buildt 1929 by "Stavanger Støberi og Dok"
    Length 59 meters. 100 pax.

Interior:

• Sterkoder
    commented on 's reply
    Ok, thanks. Then I was correct all the way :-)
    There's always so much info about things we photograph, and once one decide to make a text to ones picture, the text must be correct. That's my rule of thumb.

• Gestumblindi
    replied
    Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Last time I photographed Rogaland, I called her D/S, only now to find out she's always been a M/S (blushing).
    Not always. The information sign depicted further up in this thread mentions that she originally had a "Dobbel compound dampmaskin, Lentz-type, 144 NHK" and received a diesel engine in 1949. Norwegian Wikipedia also says "I 1950 ble dampmaskinen byttet ut med en dieselmotor".

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Last time I photographed Rogaland, I called her D/S, only now to find out she's always been a M/S (blushing).
    Anyway, yet another trip to Stavanger only armed with my iPhone camera (the first time can be seen in the This is Stavanger thread). Here's a picture of M/S Rogaland from 25th January 2020.

​​​​​​IMG_6926 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied
    From a couple of weeks ago, Rogaland looking stunning on the berth in Stavanger. Choppy and windy, but blue sky.

The curve of the rail around the side of the quay gives a bit of an odd effect.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    That is very good news indeed.... ! Imagine, that we in 2014 still have such an old and beautiful looking vessel around - it's an achievement to be proud of!:

Leave a comment:

• Gestumblindi
    replied
    Riksantikvaren has now protected Rogaland She is the fourth passenger ship protected by Riksantikvaren, after "Skibladner" (protected in 2006), "Nordstjernen" (in 2012) and "Vestgar" (this January).

Leave a comment:

• The Sea-Otter
    replied
    In Stavanger, December 2013

P1180208 by The Sea-Otter, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Re: M/S Rogaland

Wonderful images of Rogaland...

So much nostalgia, so much history, and how wonderful is it actually that some people has taken it upon themselves to maintain and run such veterans....

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

It worked like a magnet on me when I spoted it in Stavanger..
    Nice images, Carina!!

Imagine me, when we drove to Kristiansand and Tall Ships Race 2010 and had a night stop in Bergen.
    After settling in our room, I had to park the car on a remote parking space, where I discovered that just 200 meters from the hotel were steamers "Stord I", "Granvin", "Stavenes" and an old 'fjordbuss' moored!
    I went bananas with my camera, and y'all can watch the images in own threads (ship specific).

I know so well how you felt when spotting "Rogaland"

Leave a comment:

• carinahansen
    replied

This old ship is so beautiful. It worked like a magnet on me when I spoted it in Stavanger.. I went on autopilot towards it.

It's history..

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

I didn't realize that there is a special thread for M/S Rogaland on CVF.
    I posted some pictures of this ship taken in Stavanger in September 2011 earlier in the Veteran ships and Boats thread, but it wouldn't harm to repeat them here:

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Great captures Gaelsail!

I love that the images shows the ship in ... how should I put it... ehmmm... without any modern buildings in the background. It's almost like the images could have been taken when she was in service at the beginning of her career, and not taken in 2010!

She looks very striking and is indeed a very beautiful veteran!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Beautiful creature this vessel!!! Don't care much for the "plastic tent" on the stern deck, but I guess comfortable accommodation for guests are a necessity today....
    This is one of the visiting vessels during the "Fjordsteam 2010" in Florø 4th-8th August.

Leave a comment:

• Gaelsail
    replied
    MS Rogaland sailing out of Stavanger on 11 April 2010.

seen from MS Fram.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X