Norwegian Royal Yacht "Norge"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    ....all my 11 focuspoints were seeking on the poopdeck of "Norway". Maybe I should've had them focus on the sky, as the ship would've been a silouette then. I don't know...
    Maybe the points should be more evenly distributed between the darker ship and the light sky? (Only have 3 such points myself, plus three menu settings options of matrix, centre-weighted and spot exposure metering.)

....For the past five to six weeks I've had a concern about CVF....
    You are missing our Captain...that is exactly the period he has been away, 3 weeks at work and now in the last week of three weeks holiday.
    ....never have I logged on in here to be the sole member inside so often as these last weeks....
    Perhaps I should get a bit personal and explain my own “working habits”, for at times when you thought you were alone in here Sterkoder, I was very likely here at my computer and totally CVF focussed.
    Some of my apparent absence is to do with the time it takes taking care in selecting and preparing photos to the standard I expect of myself, but mostly it takes time because I am naturally inclined to being simply slower than most people where writing is concerned. (It comes from speech difficulties in childhood.) So I almost always compose what I have to say in “Word” and then paste it into the reply box in CVF. It is the absolute antithesis of the rapid real time too and fro of one-liner comments in Facebook.

Additionally, and this is perhaps the more important point, I am most often at “home” and able to be at the computer for longer periods of time when I am actually at D’s. The use of his network is much appreciated, but there is a lot going on here literally 24/7 with weather satellite data and such. And so I am not actually logged on to CVF except for the relatively short time it takes to paste in and post the pre-prepared material.

Comment

Re: Norwegian Royal Yacht "Norge"

Hello Sterkoder
      Just to be said at once, your images are clear, sharp and has nice color.
      With the light conditions you had, I think you have taken some very nice pictures of RY "Norge"
      Continue and you will see that it only gets better as time goes on.
      Very good. . Keep on

It is perhaps a little quiet on the forum right now, but it may be due to vacation, but it could also be that many people prefer FB or other forums for some other reasons? This is only a speculation from me and nothing else

We can only hope that the forum traffic picks up again later this summer/ fall.

For my own part, I am not on FB, and I prefer it like that without wanting to elaborate on it any further.

But anyway,I want to thank everyone on the forum for their contributions to make it a comfortable and great forum to visit every time.
      I wish you all still a good summer.

Comment

Sterkoder, you are right, there is some traffic moving over to Facebook. Especially some Norwegian members are very active there and are posting pictures and so on... It is a pity, but each one's own decision. I was also active and asked one of them for a copy of these pictures also here in CV, we will see what happens after the vacation. Anyway, we have to accept that some people may change their habits. But CV is such a strong family, i don't believe that it will slow down.
        Seagull is absolutely right. Our Captain is away since more than four weeks now. That means about 1.500 posts less than normal!!!
        And Facebook is more comfortabe for a quick jump in, spit out something, without saying anything, and pop off again.
        If you enter CV and don't want to miss something, you have to work with the "new posts" button. If you are using this function, you may not enter for a short stop, because one comment will blow off all "new posts" and it is much more work to travel through all the threads...

But every one will recognize: the quality of discussion in CV is uncomparable with the stupid chat in FB!!

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
          Sterkoder, you are right, there is some traffic moving over to Facebook.
          Seagull is absolutely right. Our Captain is away since more than four weeks now. That means about 1.500 posts less than normal!!!
          No, Ralf, it should not depend on one person to make this the lively place it once was, sometimes verging on a great debating society when members were discussing aspects of photography or ship news. I have been watching for several weeks now and CVF traffic has declined.

And Facebook is more comfortabe for a quick jump in, spit out something, without saying anything, and pop off again.
          Oh, oh, how very true "for a quick jump in, spit out something, without saying anything". You have hit the nail on the head, Ralf. I joined Facebook a few years ago because a new-found relative on my family tree wanted to form a group on Facebook for that branch of our family which originated in Hatherleigh, Devonshire. Nothing came of it, and later I tried to cancel my membership. I say tried, because it is well-known that at one time that was almost impossible, your details were merely archived. More recently I decided to give it another go - again for a specific but different reason. I typed in the URL without at that point doing anything else and - guess what - up came "Hallo Ivy" or some such greeting. And there were my old posts and details as if I'd never left.

If you enter CV and don't want to miss something, you have to work with the "new posts" button. If you are using this function, you may not enter for a short stop, because one comment will blow off all "new posts" and it is much more work to travel through all the threads...
          I have new posts on those threads to which I subscribe emailed to me. And nowadays there are so few, sometimes none. It was always a hit and miss system, sometimes I'd already tuned in to CVF in the morning before the email notifications came. But they came.

But every one will recognize: the quality of discussion in CV is uncomparable with the stupid chat in FB!!
          AND HOW. Stupid chat is mostly all there is there. Only CVF has that quality of intelligent discussion and comment. Now and again I look at Facebook, but each time I think "What am I doing here???" Now this discussion has decided me - I'm opting out again, that's if it will let me. At least I won't be visible, being buried deep in the archives again.
          I was recently knighted by a long-standing, well respected CVF member, who addressed me as the Grand Lady of CVF. And Grand Lady is very concerned.
          But seriously, we will lose members if Facebook continues to extract them from CVF. Come on, all of you, come clean and show which you prefer.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I know we are now far, far out on the ocean of OT, but I have one more thing to say about my worry for CVF:
            I will never be a FB-guy, I have so much to thank CVF for, such as being a better person, being able to meet people from other parts of the world, being a better photographer and understand photography better and last but not least, I've become much better in my use of the english language.
            After what has been said by certain people, it's sad that it is the back bone of the forum who's not so frequent anymore.
            Something is happening with CVF, and I reserve my right to be sad about it!
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

But let those active members left - let's stick together,eh? Let our collective backbone remain stiff.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by arcticGateway View Post
                Hi,
                I made a little video of the KS Norge when she arrived in Tromsø two weeks ago, was standing on deck of the MS Nordstjernen.

Dear Sir,

Let me take this opportunity to wish you a warm welcome on board our forum, and let me also express my gratitude for sharing that fine video in HD!

I hope and trust you will enjoy your stay here on this friendly place!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This is just a humble way for me to extend my most sincere gratitude to both Svein and Bengt for sharing those beautiful detail shots of the Norwegian Royal Yacht.

I have not been able to look her up close and personal yet: so for me, that was very interesting.

Imagine my excitement earlier this summer when the Royal Yacht came in the Trondheimsfjord and I was on the Korsfjord, ready to photograph her!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A couple of shots of the Royal Yacht Norge from yesterday, and today respectively...

Olympus user
                    E-M1, E-M5
                    w/ Lots of new and old (adapted lenses)...

Hurtigruten ships traveled on:
                    MS Richard With, MS Nordnorge, MS Nordkapp, MS Nordlys, MS Finnmarken, MS Midnatsol (Both old and new)

Cruise ships traveled on:
                    MS Sunbird, former RCI Song of America, now MS Louis Olympia (August 2002)
                    MS Adventure of the Seas (October 2010)
                    MS Vision of the Seas (June 2012)
                    MS Enchantment of the Seas (October 2016)

Comment

I think I can safely say that the Norwegian Royal Yacht is among the world's most beautiful classical yacht still afloat.

Comment

Oslo, 5 September 2011.

I was on a boat crossing to the Fram Museum where a reception was taking place for the conference I was attending. There had been a bright period in the weather, and I’d been pleased that those delegates who were visiting Oslo for the first time had this opportunity to see the harbour waterfront, the Rådhus, and Akershus fortress in pleasant sunshine. But then as we approached Bygdøy, dark clouds moved across, but not before I had a chance to take this dramatically sunlit view of Norge.

Comment

Re: Oslo, 5 September 2011.

Wonderful! You were at the right place at the right time! And you had your camera with you. Thank you for one of the most beautiful pictures i have seen of Norge.
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                            Wonderful! You were at the right place at the right time! And you had your camera with you. Thank you for one of the most beautiful pictures i have seen of Norge.
                            I couldn't agree more!!! Superb!!
                            This is what photography is all about, in my personal view, to find the right motif, be there at the right time, use the light.
                            I must also agree with Ralf when he say that this is one of the most beautiful pictures of this vessel....., thanks, Cecilia!!
                            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The Norwegian Royal Yacht is undoubtedly one of this country's most beautiful ships today.

And the latest images are absolutely wonderful.

Comment

Norge seen from Color Fantasy.

And as I see her while I am on board the Ferry to Bygdøy.

Matthias
                                Last edited by antias; September 26th, 2011, 20:59.

Comment

Working...
                                X