Norwegian Royal Yacht "Norge"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwegian Royal Yacht "Norge"

I can now seen Bengt's pictures, but I'm still unable to work my own PB account. I can open it and the first 10 Albums, but cannot upload or use any other functions.
    Sorry to be OT (again) on this thread.

Comment

Photobucket say to their excuse that there was no renewal of this account, which I do not understand since I have automatic renewal each year. There was no problem for the years 2009 and 2010 so why is this happening in 2011?
      My account is now back to its Pro version and everything work properly.
      But I will follow very closely next year at renewal to see that this does not occur again.
      I have never had any problems with Photobucket so I hope that everything works normally from now.

I read that ombugge have much trouble with Photobucket and I hope he gets it working again.
      It is incredibly frustrating to pay for a product that does not work correctly.

Comment

Sat in my home this afternoon, looking on tv to follow the sad happening Friday 22. July in our country.
        I also had my laptop open, and thanks to www.brunsvika.net, I was made aware that a special ship visited our city.
        Grabbed my camera, drove the 20 kilometer to the harbour and took some pictures of RY "Norge" which was here for provisions.
        The heavy rain we had here (80mm in half an hour) and the fact that the gjøs (flag in bow) and main flag at the stern was flying from half pole, made them also a bit sad in the light of what happened in my country Friday 22. July.
        Anyway, together with RY "Norge", the hurtigrute "Lofoten" was southbound, and I saw her as a perfect photo platform.

Last edited by Sterkoder; July 25th, 2011, 21:24.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I just continue here, without further comments. You see what it is, and where it's taken from, so here we continue

In honour...

Comment

Last edited by Sterkoder; July 26th, 2011, 00:12.

Comment

Deleted by self. Content moved to the "Grace" thread
              Last edited by Sterkoder; July 26th, 2011, 00:14. Reason: Posted in wrong thread

Comment

Again a meeting between "Norge" and "Lofoten". These are very special moments. Two absolutely marvellous ships together.
                You recent pictures have good colours but a pale and bright white sky, which takes away some contrasts and contours. Is that automatic setting or something you can correct? Maybe it is only my monitor, but perhaps others see it in a similar way?
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I don't know what's wrong, Ralf......, I try the best I can to adjust my camera, but yesterday and today we have a hopless light for photography here. Totally white contourless sky, which by help of thick fog hangs very low.
                  Of course, we can't complain about nature and as photographers we should not complain about the light, but use the light we have present and make the best of it.
                  Clearly I have a long way to go.....

Comment

Clearly I have a long way to go.....
                    Take heart, Svein, I'm trailing along behind you. But your pictures are sharp, despite the weather.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Well, I'm struggling with a too bright light and not getting the motif itself too dark, and as you can see, at the same time I'm also "blessed" with unwanted vignette.
                      I'm not too satisfied myself, I might've mentioned that initially.....

Comment

I get so extra excited now every time I see there are ship photos from you in Kristiansund, knowing the places and the viewpoints. And now here from Lofoten also. And it is so good to see Lofoten and Norge together like that… a most fitting hurtigrute to have been there at the time of Norge’s visit.

You know, there is now a shade of yellow colour that I have started to think of as “Norge Yellow”!

I only just saw Ralph and your latest posts about photography, (feeling slow at turning thoughts to words this morning). You know, one thing I have learnt from the daily photo projects is that the sky and weather is as it is, and when one may not choose whether to take a photo or not (because of the commitment of a daily project or because one is taking a ship which is only there that particular day) you just have to make the best of it as you so wisely say Sterkoder.

For much subject matter, along with being aware of where the camera is taking the exposure readings from, a composition which balances the areas of light and dark, results in a generally satisfactory result (remember two views through trees which I commented on in another thread?). But when one is photographing ships from a distance, clearly there is simply going to be a lot of sky around, and not a lot of simple choices to be made beyond cropping to a letterbox shape to get rid of too great an expanse of featureless sky.

Looking at #64/1 or the #65 photos where one cannot see where the top of the photo is in the bright sky, I wonder if the addition of a simple black line border, like I do (in my ordinary photos I mean, not the fancy ones in the project) and which Fjordtroll also has taken to doing to good effect, might help. But then it is another thing to have to do, and I know that goes against your natural inclinations of “right first time”, as would thoughts about some selective areas of adjustment post-processing. Neither would I suggest any overall exposure compensation in the camera, because to me the colours and light in the rest of the photos have rather a special quality, which is as recognisable and as much “your style” as the different high saturation is of pakarang’s. (Accurate too from my recollection of “Norge Yellow” from the one time I actually saw the ship!)

I love your photos. That last image in #64 of the flag is truly moving. The one before it, with the people on the wet quay too…that is an image that will become so valuable a record of this particular time in years to come.

(I have struggled to find an expression of my feelings of the last few days within the remit of my daily pictures, but that is for later on and in another thread…)

Comment

I know that problem with too bright clouds also, noticed it last time when we did our harbour cruise in Rotterdam. There you can see pictures with the same effect. My only way to cheat the automatic was to wait for darker clouds... i am also not happy with many of those pictures

So if that was a very special weather with terrible light conditions, don't worry too much about it.
                          I am just about to sharpen my consciousness on such things... never had noticed it before CV...

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                            ....I am just about to sharpen my consciousness on such things... never had noticed it before CV...
                            Of yes, yes, YES…. isn’t is so very wonderful that we have this home ship CV where we can pause to reflect and discuss and learn and throw our thoughts in together as OT as you could ever wish, and ramble on sometimes – especially me! Just clicking Like on Facebook comes nowhere near it.

Comment

Going completely OT now…but I ought in all fairness to add that Facebook does once in a while have a purpose. Never more so than yesterday morning, when I just sat there watching, almost hypnotised, as birthday greetings for our beloved Captain from all over the world just kept popping up continuously on my computer screen, and then his “likes” started to appear one by one, cascading down the screen right there before my eyes … and then his comments and thanks in so many languages…
                              My eyes are still sore and my cheeks tear stained…it was so moving and emotional…
                              That’s the point of FB; for all the rest of the time there’s CVF.

Just not keeping up with you all today – I now see that I missed Wherrygirl’s comments and Sterkoder’s remark about vignetting.
                              You are not alone! My compromise zoom lens has vignetting BIG TIME. I never thought it was a problem until I started photographing skies so much! Often I just crop off the top strip of the photo where it always seems worse (and even try to allow for that when framing the photo in the first place). Other times it has to be fudged out post processing (though I’ve never got around to trying to be super-clever with some carefully calculated compensatory layer adjustment).
                              Next time I have such a situation I might show you a before and after…
                              Last edited by Seagull; July 26th, 2011, 12:59. Reason: added further ramblings....

Comment

First:
                                I don't use 'automatic' anymore, so all you see here is my wrong doing.
                                As for the image 1-64, all my 11 focuspoints were seeking on the poopdeck of "Norway". Maybe I should've had them focus on the sky, as the ship would've been a silouette then. I don't know...

Second:
                                Just clicking Like on Facebook comes nowhere near it.
                                Can't agree more.
                                In the past few days I've PM'd with certain members here, and themselves know who without me naming names.
                                For the past five to six weeks I've had a concern about CVF, as there's something in here that is not like "the old times".

I should let you all know that I'm told to be just calm and to sit back and relax.

Well, since Facebook is brought up, I can't.
                                It seems like more and more 'traffic' is going on in FB, and with respect of those who are still here, less and less on CVF.

Yes, I know it's summer, yes I know people are away on vacation, but we've had summers and vacations before also....., but never have I logged on in here to be the sole member inside so often as these last weeks.

And the strange thing is: people are not away......, they are just writing along on Facebook....

This is the most negative I have ever been on CVF.
                                Think I'll have to take a break now...., and maybe take some deep breaths.

This is my worry and if I'm wrong, nothing would do me more happy.
                                Last edited by Sterkoder; July 26th, 2011, 13:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X