X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwegian Royal Yacht "Norge"

The Royal Yacht from Hurtigruten webcam:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Royal Yacht Norge in Bodø, with courtesy of Frank Oskarsen:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

RY "Norge" moored at the new pier #8 in Tromsø harbour.

Queen Sonja has used "Norge" as her residence when she visited various islands off Tromsø in Whitsun weekend.

The crew takes a little trip with the rubber boat

"Norge" and cruise ship "Island Sky"

Comment

WAOW.... You know what, may I tell you a secret?

Last time I came to this thread, I was actually hoping to see the ship spend more time in Bodø, or in Tromsø, because then, I know we would be BLESSES with high quality images such as these!

Thank you so very much for making my day! If anyone else also has more images of the NORGE, please do feel more than VERY WELCOME to add them to the thread!

What a beautiful ship she is!. She literally sparkles!

Comment

Some well overdue images, taken when NORGE came to Trondheim on June 1st 2011:

Comment

A close up, from the side and from her quarter:

Comment

I bet we could almost have spotted NICHU in this image:

Comment

Later in the evening, NORGE left outbound:

Meeting LADEJARL:

Comment

Great images you've got there, Jan-Olav!!!
                    (And the rest of you contributors also, of course)

I notice the King is not on board on the inbound voyage, but as we can see on the outbound...., the Royal Flag, flag of the King, is flying from the top aft mast, so he must be on board.

I just wonder:
                    On those inbound images we see an ordinary naval norwegian flag (orlogsflagg) in the aft mast, also on the outbound together with the Kings Flag.
                    But in harbour, and also from time to time sailing, I'see and have seen a HUGE norwegian orlogsflagg flying from the flagpole at the stern.

Anyone care to take a shot at what's the different in flying the smaller norwegian orlogsflagg from the aft mast, compared to the flagpole and huge orlogsflagg from the stern...?

(Puh..., what a question)
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Great pictures, Jan-Olav

RY "Norge" sailed north early this morning to Snarby bay where they anchored.
                      Took me a ride and took some pictures today.

Comment

RY "Norge" inbound to Tromsø this afternoon.

Comment

Absolutely splendid images of the Norwegian Royal Yacht!

She is a very good looking ship!

To the flag question: I have absolutely no idea.

But I do know this: when she came inbound the Trondheimsfjord, the car ferry Korsfjord lowered her Norwegian flag in respect, and the Royal Yacht didn't respond. And when they came outside the Hurtigruten dock, Trollfjord also lowered her flag without a response from the Royal Yacht... naval traditions slipping?

Comment

Oh isn’t she lovely! …Pakarang, she looks so celebratory with the flags, and naturally I am specially liking the one with Trollfjord…but I love the ones where she is seen against the trees and fields too.
                            And Asimut…also against the trees, and I also got a thrill from seeing her with NX in another thread.

A great pity if those naval traditions disappear…I am pleased that my favourite modern hurtigrute and car ferry knows how to behave properly in the royal presence.

Comment

Hi,
                              I made a little video of the KS Norge when she arrived in Tromsø two weeks ago, was standing on deck of the MS Nordstjernen.

Comment

Maybe I can explain the flag rules, at least as they were practised on merchant ships in my young days, when there were large crews on board;
                                - When under way the flag was flown from the gaff at the aft mast, if at all.
                                - When in port the national flag would be flown from the flag pole at the stern, the company's flag from the aft mast top and high.
                                - Courtesy flag from the fore mast spare, Stbd. side, which would always be lower than the Company flag. When in Norway a Norwegian ship would fly the flag of the country from which it originated on that trip, or the flag of the country to which it was finally bound. (I.e. on the Far East run the flag of Japan would be flown, as that was 'turn-around' point, not last port of call)
                                - A company Jack was flown at the bow when anchored, or moored alongside a wharf only, never while under way.

Signal flags would either be flown from a signal mast on top of the wheelhouse, from Port spare on the foremast, or from a wire stretched between the masts for older ships.

Dipping the flag was a "must" for any merchantman meeting a "man-o-war", or a royal yacht, and sometime as a courtesy to a company ship, especially if a more senior Master was in command. Today, with small crews and less nationalistic attitudes among seafares, this is a forgotten tradition.

Today, in most cases ,the national flag is flown "anywhere" and day and night when in port. Or just left hanging regardless, until it is totally worn out, or so dirty from exhaust fumes that you cannot see what nationality the ship is anyhow.
                                Last edited by ombugge; July 1st, 2011, 12:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X