March 2013 small roundtrip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: March 2013 small roundtrip

While sailing to Sortland we had some really lousy weather. Luckily we had the wind from the stern.

Moored in Sortland.
    A lot of activity started. The captain seemed to plan to skip Svølvär and Stamsund due to the wind. A lot of passengers were called to the reception. After a while another announcement was made - "sorry, there will not be a replacement bus, the weather is too bad for buses"...
    Mark captured Finnmarkens webcam: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...994#post103994
    It all ended with the decision that all passengers should stay on board Finnmarken.

So I concentrated on photographing beautiful elevators and other inside stuff!

Comment

So the story goes on:

Babettes cafe gives you a nice overview of what is going on around the ship. I had a long chat with one of the persons standing in the cafe about cameras and photography.

Departure to Stokkmarknes. I was chatting with a english couple on deck. They had a navigational chart in their iPad, which was very handy indeed.

Comment

The museum of course takes you back to things that happened long time ago.

But also offers some newer artifacts.

Finnmarken ('56) pictures coming up later.

Comment

Finnmarken studies from the quay.

Comment

Realizing that there wouldn't be any good photo occasions for a while I decided to get changed and jump into the pool:

The water in the whirlpools was really hot, so no risk for freezing. The swimming pool was also very nice, with salt water and a lower temperature. Soon the other whirlpool was occupied by some crew members having a great time bathing, swimming and jumping around in the snow...
            I stayed here until we had passed the Raftsundet bridge. It's really nice that the sauna is just a few stairs up from the pool area.

Ok, it's clearly one of those days...

The snow is flying around. The mountains around us are offering quite much shelter from the northern storm.
            Last edited by Tommi; March 23rd, 2013, 14:42.

Comment

Pictures can be edited in many ways. This one ended up a bit more gray just to get some variation.

Comment

Well, you really cannot get a variety of pictures in this weather. But it wasn't too cold and rather nice in a relaxing way.

Comment

Well a little variety can naturally be achieved.

Double set of meteorologic instruments...

Next part: even more blue pictures, finally a fishermans woman, even more snow and we're trying to locate Stamsund

Comment

I took a fancy to #134/2 ...imagining lots of small ones in different colour for Christmas tree decorations! Well it’s not surprising that I’m thinking of such a time of year with the snow coming and going.
                    #133/6 with the accumulation of snow at the deck edge particularly pleases me, and in #134/4 it is marvellous how the triangular wedge of brighter sky matches that of the sea.
                    #135/2 is like peeping at the mountains beneath a soon to be drawn cloud curtain.

Oh there I am in the museum, along with Carina and Jens (though I note across in Finnmarken’s own thread that I could also be said to be flying around in the children’s playroom ).

Comment

Now I have a problem, I really don't remember taking this picture, but apparently this scene exists somewhere near Svolvær. It don't even look like a picture taken from a ship, more like from a cliff beside.

A lot of landing lights at the airport, but which one?

Next call Svolvær.

Did I say that it's the blue period of the year?

Comment

Finally, this is the fourth time I arrive to Svolvær, and I always have managed to miss to photograph the Fisherman's wife. And now I can do it in a great light, yes!!!

Now I just couldn't decide which picture was the best one of about the ten I took, so you get three different to lay your eyes on.

Comment

Svolvær is indeed a harbor with quite a lot of activity.

Comment

Can you actually buy film here?

The small craft harbour.

Last edited by Tommi; March 24th, 2013, 00:20.

Comment

While the big one is moored in a nearby quay.

What to expect if not more snow! No problems, I can stand it...

Not too easy when travelling without a tripod, but I found a electric cabinet to support the camera.

I return back on board to do some more interior shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post

What to expect if not more snow! No problems, I can stand it...
                                Wow, thats really cool!!

Comment

Working...
                                X