Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RENAMED THREAD: Hurtigruten Autumn Cruise - November 2011

Hi all,
    I just came home after a good flight home from Bergen. I've been reading this thread occasionally during the week on my phone, but the reply function didn't seem to work.
    There's quite much things to be said and lots of material to be posted, but for now I just want to send a great thank you to all great people that have met up during our "soap opera of the seas" and to those that have been reading this thread.
    BTW, fun to see on Toms pictures that sunshine ends just before Bergen...

Comment

How wonderful to see that Tom has covered the very last minutes of the voyage.
      I think this trip, or may I say 5 days long "family-event", is an ALL TIME HIGH event. And has involved so many of us.

Love you all, folks.

It was a great pleasure to meet you, Tommi. And to stay one day onboard with you and the rest of the fantastic group.

And as Svein Sterkoder said: I am REALLY looking forward to see all your fotos SOOOOOOOOOON

Comment

Hello there, we also had a quick and good flight home. I am right now fighting with tons of faxes, hundreds of mails and a lot of unanswered phone-calls out of the last week in my office. So i am a bit doubtful if i can start my report today... but maybe just a little teaser for you unpatient guys in late afternoon...

It is an honour to have these high quality-photos of Tom as the final views of this journey. That was something very special for all of us and we are overwhelmed of your hospitality and exitement during our visits. This was Hurtigruten as it's best (even on a new ship, but more comments about that later!).
        Thank you all so much for joining us!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Looking forward to all the future postings about this trip, I've followed it through and caught the excitement of each meet-up. Wonderful.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Typical Seagull...first one to start the trip and last one to finish!!
            Relaxing airport day today on a seemingly over-complicated route back, but this was all arranged a long time ago and it made sense at the time.

BGO...OSL...CPH...EDI
            eta in EDI not until 21:10 UK time.

Comment

Ralf's version: Captainsvoyage Nordnorge trip Kirkenes-Bergen 2011

We agreed to post just as we have time and fun, so maybe we will have a little confusion here, but then it will proceed quicker. Seagull apparently seems to be the last on this report, first you should follow her at her "Seagull - away for a while" - thread.

Well, while Seagull is having this boring day sitting around on most of the Northern Europe airports, this will be a perfect begin of my report:

Monday 31.10.2011: A boring day sitting around on airports.

About 07.15 we left our house to walk with our luggage the short way (10min) to our local railway station. Took the train at 07.29 to our central station, where we changed on the train leading to the airport. Arrived there at 8.30 for requested check in at 8.45.
              Then we had boring two hours of sitting around and reading newspapers. Nothing to see outside, since it was quite foggy. Fortunately nearly all planes were on plan, just the flight from Stuttgart to Munich(!!), a short hop of 200km, had to wait since three hours, since the fog in Munich was much worse. The area, where they have built the new airport, is not by funny ideas called the "Erdinger Moos". Moos is here the description for a swampy, wet area. I remember the discussions, when the airport was built years ago. Well, car or train would have been the much better alternative this morning.

Then we finally could head on to the plane, a Bombardier CR900.

The credits for the pictures during this report will also go to my wife and kids. I will mention it, if i remember it correctly. The following four pictures were taken by Pauline.

Unusual angle but perfectly describing the fog:

Ready for take-off.

Soon we had wonderful weather, but this was only in southern Germany.

Comment

Re: Ralf's version: Captainsvoyage Nordnorge trip Kirkenes-Bergen 2011

After a short flight of 1 hour and 15 minutes we landed in Kopenhagen, where it was raining and so there also was not much to see.
                Again hanging around for 2 hours 30 minutes, until we could continue or travel to Oslo, this time in a fully booked Boeing 737/800. Not funny.
                We had to stay for the night in Oslo-Gardemoen, since the afternoon flights to Kirkenes in autumn and winter were cancelled by SAS recently.

We went to hour hotel, where we had the family room at the 6th floor and so at the uppermost corner. Fantastic sight over the airport.

I did not use the flashlight, so the pictures are bit blurry, sorry for that. The room was quire comfortable and after a dinner at Peppes Pizza in the airport (you can easier buy an old car or a new computer than pay a meal to the Radisson restaurant) we returned here and spent the evening bathing, reading, watching TV and drinking lots of tea.

Here is our Panorama view over the gates for the domestic flights.

So have a safe way home, Cecilia and i will continue also tomorrow.
                Last edited by Ralf__; November 11th, 2011, 16:42.

Comment

Re: Tommi's version: Captainsvoyage Nordnorge trip Kirkenes-Bergen 2011

So now let's get into this!

I have really a lot of material to post from this wonderful journey. Seagull and I discussed already on board NN that it will be a long while before we manage to share all our moments with you folks.

I will split my material into some different threads, mostly posting pictures related to CVF and the trip itself here, while others will go to the NN, Hurtigrutemuseet, and other relevant corners of the forum.
                  It will take quite a much of time to edit these photos since almost all are taken in raw due the pretty tricky lightning conditions. In fact, almost half of our trip was in some kind of dusk, dawn or darkness!

There will probably come some other treats later on, but let's start with the very beginning in Kirkenes.

Our flight was quite delayed from Oslo due to the pretty intense snowing in Kirkenes. In fact, our pilot considered for a short while going down in Alta, which wouldn't exactly been a ideal solution for us. After have met Ralf's family at the airport (due to my delayed flight from Stockholm they already had boarded in Oslo before I made it to the gate) we boarded the bus to town cewnter and the driver was kind to leave us first at the kaia. We made it with ten minutes to NN's departure and was of course welcomed by Seagull standing on port side of deck 5.

Kirkenes terminal shortly after departure.

Some fishing vessels laying around.

We didn't actually use the deck chairs during the whole trip.

But the jacuzzi was tried out already the first evening. The yellow sign on the wall says "no diving". I'm pretty sure that someones tried it out before they put the sign up.

We made it good to Vardø before we had some heavier seas, so NN dropped out both Båtshamn and Berlevåg. Polarlys seemed also be having some problems, since the meeting was far out on the sea.
                  Last edited by Tommi; November 7th, 2011, 21:26.

Comment

Next morning in Havøysund:

I think that Ralf and Seagull will fill out some gaps with different harbour pictures since I'm quite convinced that they have a more complete selection.
                    As you can see, the weather was still in a pretty boring mood, althought it wasn't too cold.

My general Hurtigruten state of the art coffee mug.

Next port of call was Hammerfest:

After a walk half-way up on the zig-zag path you will have this view.

Seagull's spotting.

Flags pointing to one unified direction.

Cabin 326 on NN.
                    Last edited by Tommi; November 7th, 2011, 21:50.

Comment

Arrival to Øksfjord, in almost complete darkness:

Impressive place, isn't it?

At this point I gave up trying to make something serious, so I went arty instead.

Happy on board!
                      Last edited by Tommi; November 7th, 2011, 21:51.

Comment

Later that evening we approach Tromsø:

A very familiar view.

And from the opposite direction.

A group of students were waiting to get on board.

The meet-and-greet-table made its debut already in Tromsø. Asimut, Seagull and Ralf__ (a.k.a. "Bengt", "Cecilia" and "Ralf") are probably discussing mid-generation ship groundings. I'm still quite impressed by all the knowledge Bengt shared with us this night. And as all visits, this was also way too short, but you know, the ship has to stay "i ruta".

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                          I think this is sort of like CVF's version of "Keeping Up With The Kardashians"..............
                          baaaahahahahahahahaha!!!! esp with the hot tub scenes and all!! x

Comment

Great to see the first images and the start of this trip report. Very nice also to finally see what the faces behind the nicks looks like, and I must say, after "being there with you" in that windy, snowy and cold weather, it was very comfortable to see a picture of cabin 326. Almost like being there...., looking for that warming cognac!!!
                            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                              Great to see the first images and the start of this trip report. Very nice also to finally see what the faces behind the nicks looks like, and I must say, after "being there with you" in that windy, snowy and cold weather, it was very comfortable to see a picture of cabin 326. Almost like being there...., looking for that warming cognac!!!
                              Cognac? Was there cognac in the cabin???

Comment

Next morning in Harstad, two great CVF members are waiting, and taking a lot of pictures:

It was really cool to meet you guys in Harstad, time really disappeared and before we knew it was time to departure.

See ya, and perhaps a while longer next time?

One of some hundred taken landscape pictures during the trip. My intention is not to bore you all with the fantastic fjells, but I can surely post more if there's a demand.

Comment

Working...
                                X