• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ex ATLANTIDA ::: ex NORWAY EXPLORER (project name) ::: SPITSBERGEN :::

cddddddddddddddffffffffffffffffff

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent! I have been waiting for a long time for such views! Thank you so much for sharing these!

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    Lovely photos. Thank you.

• Sigve
    replied
    Very good!!!

Leave a comment:

• Kim Viktor
    replied
    I made a short trip with Spitsbergen between Tromsö and Svolvaer a few weeks ago.

Spitsbergen is arriving Tromsö in heavy snow.

My spacious inside cabin.

The sauna with great view.

Reception

Arcade

Quite empty in the restaurant after we had left Harstad.

Passing Mefjellet outside Harstad.

The panorama lounge works, but isn't something special.

Explorer bar

On our way into Risöyhamn.

Not windy at all.

Hard to beat....

Arriving Sortland.

In Stokmarknes.

In the mouth to Raftsundet.

Trollfjorden

All people on deck, but no one on the bow.

Last picture from Svovaer, where I was supposed to change ship....

I was really happy with the trip, great weatcher, tasty food, lovely stuff and a fantastic ship, one of my new favourites.

Leave a comment:

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    OK, got it. Sounds like the Pentax has good ergonomics.

• Sterkoder
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, on my Pentax K-1 II, I usually use the thumb-focus button and single point focus. Then I have my pointing finger free to adjust the shutter speed and to take the picture.
    At night I pre focus, in auto-focus, also then with the thumb, but switch to manual focus before I release the focus button pressure. Then the camera will not change focus when I decide to take the picture with the remote control.

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for that. Does the Pentax allow "focus lock", ie pre-focus locked-in so it doesn't change on shutter release? My old Canon A-1 had a similar thing for exposure where you could point it at whatever you wanted to be properly exposed, then press & hold exposure-lock button, then adjust the view for good composition, then press shutter release. It was a way of biasing the exposure to a region of choice rather than relying on the "natural" metering for the shot. Strikes me that focus could be locked in a similar way, and maybe modern cameras do so but I live in the past. :-)

• Clipper
    replied
    ... ... ...

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    commented on 's reply
    For shooting in bad light, I always use my tri-pod, I set my ISO to 100 (lowest possible on my Pentax), for less grain, and I choose mirror-up (you don't get camera shake from the mirror moving), and I use a remote control to take the picture.
    When setting my ISO low and adjusting the aperture for my need (how much depth of field I want), I deal with the shutter-speed the camera give me.
    That's my way of photographing in the evening/night.
    And of course, dependent on the artificial lights in the area or at the motif, I adjust my white balance AND I set my focus to manual, so that the camera don't try to focus when I push the release button ;-)

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, you would still need to be on a tripod. As I understand it, the overall time of all three shots *can* be well under 2 seconds, but in low light, hmmm, maybe not, I really don't know. It's something I need to experiment with when I eventually afford myself a decent camera ... one of Canon's Powershot G series has been an aspiration for 10 years now but never gets to the top of the priority list.

• Sterkoder
    commented on 's reply
    Don't know about HDR, yes my Pentax got that possibility, because it will take three images in sequence to make a HDR image.
    That mean the requirements for an even steadier camera is present.
    But I understand what you suggest, as each of the three is taken with a shorter shutter time than just one in 2 seconds :-)
    Don't fancy HDR from my camera too much, use it more when I take pictures with my iPhone.

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    Another approach might be to try HDR mode, if your camera has it.

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    2 second exposure, from a barge ..... the result is pretty good . No complaints from me.

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Watching SPITSBERGEN on national tv, Svalbard Minute-by-minute, and Saturday she was in Kristiansund southbound.
    Except for Lofoten, she must be the nicest looking hurtigrute in the fleet. Didn't quite like her at first, but I guess I'm under the influence of "acquired taste".
    (Yes, I know about the dust on my sensor) The reason for it not to be 100% in focus is that she might have moved and me and my tri-pod was on a barge, also slightly moving during the 2 seconds exposure :-)
    IMGP4893 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

Working...
X