Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Spitsbergen" north from Tromsø this evening.

Spitsbergen by DS Lyngen, on Flickr
    Best wishes from Bengt Domben

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing another great image.

I'm a little taken back at learning that Spitsbergen has become really, really popular among many people. She is loved by more people than I actually expected. I wonder what makes her so special, when compared to her fleet mates.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

"Spitsbergen" south Tromsø strait tonight.

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          I cannot imagine why people seem to favour Spitsbergen -she is not unusual.

Spitsbergen is apparently a love-hate ship: she has a great following that really likes her, and then there are those that just doesn't figure her out.

I have only been on board in port, and never sailed her, so I have no opinion on the matter.

Excellent image anyway. Captured perfectly.

I guess she will be off the route now, as Midnatsol is back in service?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Clipper
          Clipper commented
          Editing a comment
          The naval architects and builders of Atlantida must get a lot of pride to see her sailing now in such illustrious colours. Also all the people involved in the extensive conversion work.

Two voyages to Franz Josef Land end August & mid September cancelled as Russia refused final sailing permits :-(
        Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

TF 09/05; TF BGO-KKN-TOS/KH TOS-BGO 05/06(hit seamen's strike ); TF Xmas/New Year 12/06; MS 05/08; Lofoten 03/10; MS 03/11 TRD-KKN-BGO(broke ship ); MS 01/12 (Astronomy Voyage), LO 03/13 - changed to MS (Astronomy Voyage again!) as LO delayed after maintenance; LO 03/14 BGO-KKN-TRD

Forthcoming: Lofoten 31/10/15 BGO-KKN-BGO

Comment

Originally posted by richws View Post
          Two voyages to Franz Josef Land end August & mid September cancelled as Russia refused final sailing permits :-(
          Apparently due to a military exercise in the area.

I guess that would mean they would get a new permission later on perhaps?

Comment

• ombugge
            ombugge commented
            Editing a comment
            Another place it was said that the Russians think she doesn't have high enough ice class to operate in those waters. (I'll try to find it again)

Here is a link to the eye on the Arctic that refers to what you mentioned above.

https://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arc...land-murmansk/

Comment

Ah, OK, so there are conflicting reasons behind why they didn't get the permission.

If I'm not incorrectly, RA has the highest possible ice-classification of any passenger ship.... or perhaps it was in regards to emissions. I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by DS Lyngen View Post
              Here is a link to the eye on the Arctic that refers to what you mentioned above.

https://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arc...land-murmansk/
              Thanks for that article.

After reading it, it seems to be more of a political thing than anything else.

Norwegian cruises to Arctic Russia cancelled due to low ice class: Murmansk minister

Meanwhile, a competing cruise liner founded by a Russian business man sails the same waters with a vessel holding lower ice class.

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                The Sea Spirit has sailed there during the summer season, which is in the past. while the cancellation of sailing permit for Spitsbergen is based on forecasted ice conditions at the time their cruise was planned.

"Spitsbergen" arrives in Tromsø early this morning, after a voyage around Svalbard.

Comment

Nice picture. I like her size. Are you interested in a round walk over the whole ship?

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49o12i1AjCw
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Great image and great video as well... a nice looking ship, perfectly sized.

She certainly has gotten a lot of competition over the years: there are brand new expedition ships coming out faster than I'm able to keep a track of.

Comment

Watching SPITSBERGEN on national tv, Svalbard Minute-by-minute, and Saturday she was in Kristiansund southbound.
                    Except for Lofoten, she must be the nicest looking hurtigrute in the fleet. Didn't quite like her at first, but I guess I'm under the influence of "acquired taste".
                    (Yes, I know about the dust on my sensor) The reason for it not to be 100% in focus is that she might have moved and me and my tri-pod was on a barge, also slightly moving during the 2 seconds exposure :-)
                    IMGP4893 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Clipper
                      Clipper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for that. Does the Pentax allow "focus lock", ie pre-focus locked-in so it doesn't change on shutter release? My old Canon A-1 had a similar thing for exposure where you could point it at whatever you wanted to be properly exposed, then press & hold exposure-lock button, then adjust the view for good composition, then press shutter release. It was a way of biasing the exposure to a region of choice rather than relying on the "natural" metering for the shot. Strikes me that focus could be locked in a similar way, and maybe modern cameras do so but I live in the past. :-)

• Sterkoder
                      Sterkoder commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, on my Pentax K-1 II, I usually use the thumb-focus button and single point focus. Then I have my pointing finger free to adjust the shutter speed and to take the picture.
                      At night I pre focus, in auto-focus, also then with the thumb, but switch to manual focus before I release the focus button pressure. Then the camera will not change focus when I decide to take the picture with the remote control.

• Clipper
                      Clipper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      OK, got it. Sounds like the Pentax has good ergonomics.

... ... ...
                    ---------------------------
                    Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
                    Deck plan geek.
                    The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Comment

I made a short trip with Spitsbergen between Tromsö and Svolvaer a few weeks ago.

Spitsbergen is arriving Tromsö in heavy snow.

My spacious inside cabin.

The sauna with great view.

Reception

Arcade

Quite empty in the restaurant after we had left Harstad.

Passing Mefjellet outside Harstad.

The panorama lounge works, but isn't something special.

Explorer bar

On our way into Risöyhamn.

Not windy at all.

Hard to beat....

Arriving Sortland.

In Stokmarknes.

In the mouth to Raftsundet.

Trollfjorden

All people on deck, but no one on the bow.

Last picture from Svovaer, where I was supposed to change ship....

I was really happy with the trip, great weatcher, tasty food, lovely stuff and a fantastic ship, one of my new favourites.

Comment

• Clipper
                        Clipper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lovely photos. Thank you.

• Ralf__
                        Ralf__ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Excellent! I have been waiting for a long time for such views! Thank you so much for sharing these!
                    Working...
                    X