• Seagull
    started a topic ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

This is a continuation of the thread from the old forum:
    http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=368

• pakarang
    replied
    Thank you so very much nari and Lady C!

I particularly liked the way the second image came out, because of the propeller-wash. Kind of reminded me of all those thousands of miles of "keel water" that ship has produced all across the world within her more than 59 years of incredible service. That propeller has churned A LOT of water in the years.

Leave a comment:

• nari
    commented on 's reply
    Such a "pretty ship" and very graceful.

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    Such a lovely image of the ship in Trondheim,with the still grey water, the green of Munkholmen, and the blueness of the land at the other side of the fjord.

• pakarang
    replied
    Serenissima on a later visit back in the end of August.... August 24th 2019:

2019_08_24 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0319 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_08_24 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0321 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Ok, thanks. I can see the "protruding" portholes back there might get caught in fenders of that type and nature.

I believe they will have welded on steel plates in order to get permission by relevant maritime authorities to continue operating. Will probably have to be fixed on next visit to drydcok.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    ....I notice in these image, that there are two blocked off windows aft on the cafeteria deck.... do you, Lady C, have any idea why that is so?
    Yes I know about that ...it was the result of a docking incident in Stornoway on the trip I was on.The pier there seemed to me to be more appropriate for the large CalMac ferries or bigger flat-sided cruise ships than our little curvy Lady! We'd been tendering by zodiacs everywhere else, so I was watching activity on the foredeck and the guys ashore seemed slow with the lines. Then a commotion aft (which I couldn't see) when the pier structure hit those two windows. The glass was shattered i.e. crazed, but remaining in place as it's supposed to. I don't know whether the blocking off of the exterior of those windows as seen in your photos is a permanent or temporary arrangement.

View towards the foredeck, to show you what the pier is like.

View taken later after breakfast from the corner of the aft deck.

Only able to get this view between two skips after I'd disembarked.

One of the windows in the lounge.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Thank you for the tips on this coming Saturday - I had missed that in the port cruise schedule. I'm not sure I will have time to go see her then, but these images will be a great memory for me already.

I had no idea she would not be back for her 60th year anniversary - that's pity for Trondheim.

I notice in these image, that there are two blocked off windows aft on the cafeteria deck.... do you, Lady C, have any idea why that is so?

2019_08_18 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0259 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_08_18 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0263 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_08_18 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0269 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_08_18 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0271 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_08_18 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0274 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_08_18 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0278 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_08_18 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0279 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    That's magnificent, pakarang, a completely different view of her and the city that you've been able to capture in glorious weather.
    She will call back in Trondheim next Saturday, but she won't be along the coast at all next year, as she is spending more time in the Faroes and Iceland.

• pakarang
    replied
    Today, a 59 year old girl came back to her birth-town, Trondheim, Norway: 60 years ago, construction started on this beautiful vessel at Trondheim, and next year, it'll be 60 years since she started her career.

I hope she will be in Trondheim on that very special day, in June 2020, on her 60th birthday, and that the city has some decency to show some respect for this ship on the day.

2019_08_18 MAVIC2PRO-Serenissima-DJI_0266 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    The ship looks so great from any angle she is seen, and so perfectly suited to her way of cruising where no mega-liners can go, with guests that have a genuine interest in the true feeling and history of a port or destination.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    Could help but notice the shy seagull hiding just behind the pier, away from Serenissima's reach.

The ship looks so great from any angle she is seen, and so perfectly suited to her way of cruising where no mega-liners can go, with guests that have a genuine interest in the true feeling and history of a port or destination.

Leave a comment:

• nari
    commented on 's reply
    The old Harald Jahl design is still evident but she does look lovely and elegant.

• Seagull
    replied
    I'll have photos in the "Postcards" thread at some point, but you get a preview of Bantry House gardens as they afforded lovely views of Serenissima at anchor.

View looking over the East Stables.

The north terrace

My favourite photo. No need to take a selfie when this elegant lady and the ship can be pictured together!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Here are two photos of Serenissima after lunch, taken from a zodiac.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X