A salute to the m.s. Kong olav

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solvær, Finnsnes and Tromsø

We were at Stamsund, our first call in a Lofoten port, for only half an hour - just time to take the two photographs while still on board and shown near the end of the last post, then pelt down the gangway to take the Kong Olav from the dock, seemingly in touching distance of the nearest mountain, and finally back on deck ready to leave at 7.30 p.m. Now there was one more call to make this Saturday evening and that was at Solvær, which we reached at 9 p.m.

Docked at Solvær
    A CV member immediately identified the other boat in the picture as the ferry Skutvok, which now sails under the name Maharlika Seite. We left at 10 p.m. and, looking at the printed programme for that day I note that it recommended staying on deck till 11 p.m. for the passage through the narrow Raftsundet. The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak, very weak! I was tired. I'll swear the engines were on the floor just below my bunk and their regular, rumbling thump... thump... kept me tossing and turning each night throughout the whole trip, so staying up till midnight was not on. The programme reassured me that there would be another chance to see Raftsundet on the return trip. So I gave 3 cheers, took 3 photographs as we left Solvær and turned in.

Next morning at 6.15 a.m. the ship docked at Harstad, the programme says. It also says that the Kong Olav departed at 7.45 a.m. As I was still dozing, or getting up, or having breakfast and can remember nothing of poor Harstad on the northbound trip I'll move swiftly on to show this beautiful bridge which we passed under on our way to Finnsnes.

The Finnsnes to Senja bridge

And here is the good ship K.O. at 11 a.m.

Docked at Finnsnes

This was a brief half-hour call, and we were soon off on the way to Tromsø, which was reached at 2.15 p.m. Departure time was not until 5.00 p.m. so there was plenty of time to explore. I still have the leaflet I picked up which gave some very attractive pictures of the town and also the booklet about the magnificent Tromsdal Church, but I took some of my own and the two following are of the church. For some reason I have none of the exterior, whether it was because I could not get a suitable viewpoint I cannot remember.

East window of Tromsdal Church. Artist: Victor Sparre

The west window shedding its light on the organ pipes which are arranged in the form of a ship. A delightful surprise.

This next one is certainly Tromsø, but I can't remember from where I took it.

And finally:

The Town Hall, showing the statue of King Haakon, who stayed in the town early in WW2 until he was forced to leave the country in 1940

Next post: some pictures of exhibits in the museum in Tromsø, 2 views, then on to North Cape.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; April 30th, 2010, 19:31.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

A very nice and touching logbook from your trip!

I must confess, that, in 1997, doing a round trip with Polarlys, I didn't leave the ship (except for short walks in the harbours), because I didn't want to miss anything! My wife did the excursions while I stayed on the ship! A very great sucess it was , at least for me!

At that time, there wasn't many of the old ships left, but as far that I can remember, Kong Olav was still in service (Correction; Kong Olav left Norway for a new destination July 2 this year).
      ---
      Regards; Sigve.
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Tromsø museum, three views and North Cape.

We were due to leave Tromsø at 5.00 p.m. but I had time to look in the museum and found some interesting exhibits of the Sami (or Lapp) culture. Four pictures below show some of these.

Jewellry made from hair, beautifully fine work.

Animal trap

Sami tent

Next are two views over Tromsø:

Misty view over the town

Further south-west, to the left of the bridge, is where the Tirpitz was sunk off the island of Håkøya.

Back on board we sailed on to Skjerøy where there was a brief half-hour stop, leaving there at 9.15 p.m.

Heading for Loppa, a stretch of open sea.

Somewhere between 1 and 2 p.m. the next day - Monday - we reached Honningsvåg. I am not sure whether or not to warn Ralf about the next bit, because it is about another trip inland. He will never forgive me. But in the end he may well say serve me right, when he learns what happened!
        Those of us who wanted to go to the North Cape boarded the coach with some trepidation. We learned that the road up may be closed because the unusually heavy accumulation of winter snow had still not been cleared, but the driver was on the phone and determined to get there (at all costs?). Eventually we set off.

And up:

And further up:

We reached the final stretch to find the gate across the road firmly closed. A man in a stationary van got out and spoke to our driver (probably trying to dissuade him from going on!) but then opened the gate and we went through. Cautiously the driver proceeded and all seemed to going well on the snow-covered road until suddenly the coach slewed. Whether it skidded or the driver just lost the road, I don't know. But either way it was partly on the adjoining rough ground and at a rather unpleasant angle. Thank goodness we had passed the sections where the road was just a ledge along the mountain face, for the ground each side of where the coach had now come to an unplanned halt was fairly level. Carefully we all got out and then to the rescue came the snow-blowers which had been working higher up. They pulled the coach back on to the road and began to clear the road ahead for us. Meanwhile I had been madly taking photos of the "rescue" and the snow-scooters buzzing about. We got back into our seats to hear the driver's laconic comment: "We'll be alright when summer comes."
        We arrived at the top and the view from up there straight out towards the North Pole with nothing much in between was out of this world. I remember leaning against the wall for some time, gazing out at it, and when I finally turned away a woman standing nearby said she had a friend who had had the same look on her face at that spot as I had. I smiled, and didn't need to ask what she meant. I knew, and she knew that I knew.
        We drove back down to Honningsvåg, boarded the waiting Kong Olav, and I went to my cabin thrilled to bits at the photos I had of the "incident" as well as up at the Cape top.
        Then I dropped the camera. The back opened partially and I knew I had lost those pictures.
        Next post: leaving Honningsvåg, on to Vadsø, Kirkenes and Vardø.
        Last edited by wherrygirl; May 4th, 2010, 19:05.
        Ivy

Comment

You are excused on this trip, because the ship is waiting in Honningsvag. And for most people the North Cape Rock is a must. I have been there in 1986 with an old VW-Bus and found nothing special at this place. There are so much nicer views on this coast...
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
            You are excused on this trip, because the ship is waiting in Honningsvag. And for most people the North Cape Rock is a must. I have been there in 1986 with an old VW-Bus and found nothing special at this place. There are so much nicer views on this coast...
            Ralf, you are hard to please. You are suppost to be impressed by the fact that the North Pole is "just below the horizon".

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              Ralf, you are hard to please. You are suppost to be impressed by the fact that the North Pole is "just below the horizon".

Comment

Yes, they told me so. But it was too foggy there to see the needle in the pole.

Comment

Leaving Honningsvåg, on to Vadsø, Kirkenes and Vardø.

Before I leave Honningsvåg, there are two photos from there:

Docked at Honningsvåg. A poor photo but all I have.

A view from the dock

We left Honningsvåg at 5.30 p.m.

The ship in this photo was identified by a CV member as the ferry "Porsangerfjord" servicing the Kåfjord - Honningsvåg line before the tunnel opened in 1999. Before then the ferry was the only way to reach North Cape by car.

We then sailed on round the "top" of Norway to Kjøllefjord reaching there at 7.30 p.m. for a half-hour stop.

Passing the bird mountain, Sværholtklubben, on the way to Kjøllefjord

Then on to Vadsø. Things become a little confusing here, for - in those days at least - the ship sometimes called in the morning northbound, sometimes afternoon on the return journey. No timing is given for the northbound stop, but that is what we did according to the order of my negatives. There seems to have been a difference of 2hr. 30mins in possible times for arrival at the next port, Kirkenes, and we were certainly at Vadsø for at least that amount of time otherwise I would not have been able to take the following photograph. I remember standing at that spot marvelling at what I was seeing. It was all so peaceful, I seemed to be the only person for miles.

The mast is where the airship Norge was moored. In 1926, Roald Amundsen and Lincoln Eilsworth started their flight in it from here across the North Pole to Alaska.

Then on to Kirkenes, which we would have reached at noon.

The church

I was amused to see the following: there was a second one but my photograph is too poor.

A polar bear lamp-post

As for the next picture, I don't know what to make of these gateposts. They seemed to be of a very hard, almost fossilised wood. Roots of some tree? Or what?

Sometimes, apparently, a coach trip was arranged to the Russian border but on this occasion there was insufficient time. So near and yet so far. So we left Kirkenes at 2.00 p.m. to start on the return journey to Bergen. There now arises another puzzle as to timing. The daily programme says there was a stop of only 45 minutes at Vardø, but somehow there was time for me to have a look round the old fortress and in the little museum. A photo of one of the fortress buildings will be on the next post, but meanwhile there are just 2 more to show now.

Entering Vardø

Statue of King Haakon

Next post: Vardø, Båtsfjord and on to Hammersfest.
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; May 12th, 2010, 11:18.
                  Ivy

Comment

Your thread . . . .your journey . . . . just gets more and more fascinating as I travel further north with you.
                    So the first is a poor photo??????? No I don’t think so! …..OK, now in CVforum mode you are probably wishing that you’d taken a “bonus” photo of that interplay of shadows on the quay for the Photo Assignment: Patterns: they are all around us thread ! But look at the light on the ship and on the buildings on the right – turning them bronze – and clouds too, and I would have been proud to have had that for my Seagull’s Skyscape of the day I can tell you!

I’ve never had enough time on today’s schedule to experience an “only person for miles” moment at Vadsø, though I have had the opportunity for an early morning (pre-breakfast!) visit to an exhibition commemorating the 75 year anniversary of Nobile's flight with the airship Italia.

You just had me looking at my own photos to see the time on the Kirkenes church clock! - but too confusing because I stopped over a night so as to jump ships for a different southbound experience. Neither could I see your interesting gate posts, but then in April (!) the snow was piled high concealing such pavement-side detail. But at least my bear lamp post is similar to yours! (no I won't show you, but I just wrote KIRKENES on the Norway to-do list for after I’ve finished Trondheim and Røros ).

Wow, your “entering Vardø” looks like you might have spent ages carefully composing that image, but I know how rapidly the ships swing past that lighthouse, so that’s sheer natural photographer instinct for sure. Click, captured the moment.

I wasn’t standing absolutely exactly in your footsteps, but here (with a few extra fences and flagpole in the intervening years) is what King Haakon looked like in February this year.

Comment

Now, that's really the North. For me much more the feeling of the most Northern area of Europe instead of the North Cape. Kjollefjord, Mehamm, Berlevag, Batsfjord, Vardo, and Vadso are in close relationship to each other, although miles away. Life there seems to have it's own velocity, caused by the very unique problems they have with streets, hospital visits, Hurtigruten, fish trawlers and so on... a fascinating area. Thank you for taking me with you there again.
                      Ah, and by the way, i think we had to use the ferry "Porsangerfjord", when we were there with our VW Bus in 1986... i have no idea, where those pictures are...

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                        So the first is a poor photo??????? No I don’t think so! …..
                        Thank you very much, Seagull, for all your comments. As far as that first picture went I, too, liked the light on the building and reflecting on to the quayside, but what did bother me was that the bottom left corner was dead. The actual printed photograph is so much better, with the white showing clearly although in shadow and the rails also distinguishable. Somewhere along the scanning and uploading process it lost it! I have everything to learn in manipulating photos on screen, but just now I plucked up courage, went into Irfan and fiddled about a bit! I'm not sure about the result but I have substituted the revised version and there is now a little more to find in that corner. The original photograph is still, to me, almost perfect. But there you go.
                        Ivy

Comment

Vardø, Båtsfjord and on to Hammersfest.

At Vardø was a small museum and below is one item I particularly remember.

An old beam, all that remains of the original Vardøhus fortress built in the early 14th century. I wanted to get the whole exhibit in so the angle at which I had to take the photo meant that the glass obscured much of the contents, but the beam bears the signatures of four Norwegian kings: Christian 1V in 1599, Oscar II in 1873, Haakon VII in 1907 and finally Olav V in 1959.

Leaving Vardø

Distant view of Vardø

Here she is unloading at Båtsfjord

View further down the quay at Båtsfjord

We had had only half an hour at Båtsfjord, time to rush down the gangway, take photos and get back on board before the Kong Olav sailed at 9.15 p.m. Our next call was not until 8.45 a.m. and that was to be Havøysund, also a 30 minute stop, then on to Hammerfest. This scene is somewhere between those three places.

The next two photos are also on the Båtsfjord to Hammerfest section.

What is the gadget on the rail for? Ombugge explains all, see here

After two and a half hours sail from Havøysund we reached Hammerfest. Here there was a longer stop of one and a half hours, time to explore a little.

Docked at Hammerfest, the most northerly town in the world

Next post: leaving Hammerfest and on to Skjervøy.
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; July 11th, 2010, 15:58.
                          Ivy

Comment

Oh, how I love this post..... brings back memories....
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                              Oh, how I love this post..... brings back memories....
                              Jan-Olav, your "smily"? I really hope the memories were not sad ones?
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                                Jan-Olav, your "smily"? I really hope the memories were not sad ones?
                                Not sad ones at all.... all good memories.....

I think I might start scanning some of the old images from my many roundtrips with Harald Jarl, Kong Olav, Nordnorge and Vesterålen... trips that I had in the late 80's and early 90's.
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X