Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions? What would the next HRG ship be called?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    ... a more Hurtigruten history based proposal: what about "Anders Holthe" ??
    Ralf, I think that is a great suggestion indeed. Pilot A. Holthe or something in honor of the coastal service's first pilot.

Genius! You should really suggest this for the management at HRG!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

- Vil fornye Hurtigrute-flåten

Hurtigrutens flåte begynner å dra på årene og nå har konsernsjefen begynt å se på nye skip.

- Vi har to skip som er pluss minus 50 år, de er faktisk veteranskip, og de holder ikke i 50 år til. Så vi har begynt å kikke på en fornyelse, sier konsernsjef Olav Fjell i Hurtigruten (HRG) til E24 ved selskapets kvartalspresentasjon.

Hurtigrutens flåte består av en flåte på 11 skip, hvor de fleste skipene er bygd på 90-tallet eller tidligere og det nyeste er Midnatsol som ble levert i 2003. >>>>
      Link to whole article: http://e24.no/boers-og-finans/article3649244.ece

English summary:

HRG wants to renew the coastal steamer fleet.

Two of the ships are of the old generation and around 50 years old. The CEO also states that the fleet renewal must not happen in the same manner at which it happened last time. That almost destroyed the product.

The HRG CEO wants a sensible renewal of the fleet but refuses to speculate on a time schedule for this project to be initiated.

One of the reasons it's currently held back a bit is because of negotiations with the government concerning the route and itinerary. Will there be more ships or fewer ships compared to now?

A new contract with the government will also most likely contain requirements as to what the ships should look like, and capacities.

I wonder, if Lofoten's absence has something to do with this revelation?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A brand new fleet of ships... what would they be named?

I think this would be a good composition of names to a new modern fleet:

Los Anders Holthe
        Kronprins Haakon (or even Kong Haakon within time, hopefully not any time soon).
        Dronning Sonja (we did have "Dronning Maud" a long time ago) -> "dronning" meaning Queen.
        Vestkapp
        Varanger
        Trondheimsfjord
        Gjøa
        Leiv Eriksson

...to keep the thread alive, any other additional suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
          ... a more Hurtigruten history based proposal: what about "Anders Holthe" ??
          Thats a very good suggestion.

Another name that is important in "Hurtigruten" and "Vesteraalske's" history is "W.D Hals." ( William D. Hals )

Both of them have streets named after them in Stokmarknes : "Los Holtes Vei" & "W.D Hals' gate"

Comment

I have noticed that many of the former names of hurtigrute-vessels are very much related to their respective companies.

None of these companies are now present in the Hurtigrute-fleet.

And due to that HRG are a brand new company, and the only one with hurtigrute-vessels, I think it would be nice to stick out a brand new course when it comes to names.

A Hurtigruten-journey is an adventure and a unique norwegian fairytale itself.

So why not collect names from the unique norwegian folk-adventures, fairytales and litterature.

I would very much like to travel with

MS Askeladden
            MS Peer Gynt
            MS Draugen
            MS Edvarda
            MS Rosa
            MS Benoni
            MS Veslefrikk

or anything like that...............

Comment

Hurtigruta Mack

Rosa and Benoni, OK, but what about Mack? He was the big guy in that book. "Mack" would be a great name of a new hurtigrute, with relevance to both literary persons and the famous ale.
              If we should think companywise, we need a new earl from NFDS heydays.
              "Jan-Olav Jarl" would be the perfect name in this tradition.
              OVDS has used both geographical names and personal names; what about "Svolværgeita" or "Arthur Arntzen" - one of the most famous north norwegians we have had in later times.
              One could of course shorten it to "Oluf" - thats a big name for a coastal express.
              Another one is "Gamsten". "Willy Haugli" is another.
              For TFDS I have not found a naming policy. I therefore propose to rename the new ship after one of Tromsø's most vivid pubs: "Skarven" would be a good name for a ship!
              ---
              (I'm not teasing. Or am I?)
              ---
              Regards; Sigve.
              Last edited by Sigve; June 2nd, 2010, 20:22.
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---
              IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, Sigve

MS "Jan Olav Jarl" has already become my new favourite-ship.

And I am really looking forward to the new MS MACK and MS OLUF

Comment

Hilarious.... now, that would have been really cool!

For some reason, I had not noticed this new post.... but I love it, and think it was a very generous suggestion....

But, wouldn't I need to be nominated as an EARL first? I don't think that title is any longer given to Norwegians...

Earl was the Anglo-Saxon form and jarl the Scandinavian form of a title meaning "chieftain" and referring especially to chieftains set to rule a territory in a king's stead. In Scandinavia, it became obsolete in the Middle Ages and was replaced with duke (hertig/hertug); in later medieval Britain, it became the equivalent of the continental count (in England in the earlier period, it was more akin to duke, while in Scotland it assimilated the concept of mormaer).
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl

Comment

But, wouldn't I need to be nominated as an EARL first? I don't think that title is any longer given to Norwegians...
                    Since we have abolished nobility in this country, we have to say it like this:
                    If you feel like an earl, you are an earl. (And remember to invite us to the naming...)
                    ---
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---
                    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                      Since we have abolished nobility in this country, we have to say it like this:
                      If you feel like an earl, you are an earl. (And remember to invite us to the naming...)
                      ---
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      A pity we abolished the titles, but maybe also good such a class system no longer is in effect.... but I do like the sound of Baron Jan-Olav.... (... or Grand Duke Jan-Olav)...

Comment

The new Hurtigruten Coastal Steamer set to enter service.

The new Hurtigruten Coastal Steamer set to enter service.

With the new 8 year contract between HRG and the Norwegian Government, the door for the shipping company to order a replacement vessel for the two old ships is opened.

A new vessel can now be ordered, to replace one of the old generation ships: Nordtsjernen and Lofoten.

The other old generation will be replaced by Finnmarken returning from Australia.

http://www.ht.no/article447038.ece

Shall we try to collect our minds enough to discuss what we would like to see come?

What size do you want?

What kind of ship do you want?

Are you artistic enough, we would very much like to see your drawings/sketches/ideas on paper.

Comment

1. Finnmarken will as long stay in Australia as she will be needed there. The oil company has an option for further 18 months and did not cancel it up to now. Charter out the ship brings important additional money into the company (f.e. to finance a new ship). It is also stated in the annual report, that the charter business will remain a part of the Hurtigruten business. That means they're open for new inquiries.
                          2. A new ship has to be planned and built first. This will at least take two or three years.
                          3. Hurtigruten will receive less money from the government, if a ship does not run due to repairs and maintenance. So they should have a replacement option (extra-ship)
                          4. Different to the last winters the new contract requires daily departure also during the winter season. They are not more allowed to cancel one departure per week. Another reason to have a replacement option (extra-ship).

If the government would have decided for the five-day sailing option, the immediate end for LO and NX would have been the 1st January 2012. So this is good news!
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Please let us be different than other forums and try to discuss this topic based on facts.

This is the fact now:
                            Charter was established in 2010 as a separate
                            product area in connection with the
                            charter of mv Finnmarken as a hotel ship for
                            the Gorgon field development off Australia.
                            This charter runs until October 2011 with an
                            option for the customer to extend it for a
                            further 18 months.

For the prediction of the return of Finnmarken it is necessary to know, if Gorgon will not draw the option. Do we know that?
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I think it's really good to see some new ships enter service eventually. There's always some excitement when it comes to new ships, I was literally bubbling over with excitement when I first read about Finnmarken and Trollfjord under construction back in 2001.

I wonder what they'll go for though... One option is of course to simply make a carbon copy (with different interior decoration and colors) of one of the current ships, like Midnatsol is to Trollfjord; How about a new Finnmarken? Then they'll have to sort out some things, like Stiftstaden Bar on deck 7, with a view thoughtfully obscured by those lovely orange life boats. While it's nice to know they're there, having them block 40 % of the view is a little bit too much. It's also the same issue with Kong Harald, Richard With, Nordlys, Nordkapp, Nordnorge. With that in mind, I think the Trollfjord/Midnatsol design is much more clever... That being said, most of the current ships could use a little refreshment of the interior, as about 15 years worth of wear & tear is starting to show.

When it comes to replacement things are looking grim particularly for Vesterålen I think. The old ones, Nordstjernen and Lofoten have a special appeal being that old, whereas the 80s ships doesn't, they're just old, without much going for them. That might be why Hurtigruten decided to replace Midnatsol and Narvik before Lofoten and Nordstjernen. I don't think they will replace Nordstjernen as that's the oldest ship in service.
                              Olympus user
                              E-M1, E-M5
                              w/ Lots of new and old (adapted lenses)...

Hurtigruten ships traveled on:
                              MS Richard With, MS Nordnorge, MS Nordkapp, MS Nordlys, MS Finnmarken, MS Midnatsol (Both old and new)

Cruise ships traveled on:
                              MS Sunbird, former RCI Song of America, now MS Louis Olympia (August 2002)
                              MS Adventure of the Seas (October 2010)
                              MS Vision of the Seas (June 2012)
                              MS Enchantment of the Seas (October 2016)

Comment

I'm hoping they wont go for another Finnmarken sized ship but more for an improved version of Fram.

I do not remember the exact length of Fram, but maybe they could extend her by 15-20 meters?

Comment

Working...
                                X