Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ombugge
    replied
    The whole farce has been handled very amateurish by the Obama administration, in my opinion.
    How much is from trying to save their "perception" and avoid bed "image" by people with even less understanding of the subject at hand, and how much is from pure ignorance on their part is hard to determine with the limited knowledge obtainable through the just as ignorant media.

Am I becoming a cynic in my old age? Well maybe so, but I prefer to think of myself more as a realist.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    Now did i just hear on the news that a US Federal Judge as overturned the ban on drilling calling it illegal? Commonsense at last!
    You did - a slap in the face for Obama.

Leave a comment:

• Steve.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve.B View Post

And whats this about BP having to pay the wages of other rig workers that have been laid off because the US government have decided to suspend other deep water drilling in the Gulf? What the hell! If the government want to suspend other drilling that's fine, but on their own shoulders be it.
    Now did i just hear on the news that a US Federal Judge as overturned the ban on drilling calling it illegal? Commonsense at last!

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied
    I think we Americans have a love of the witch hunt. It's in our blood. The Salem witch trials, persecution of Charles McVay III for the Indianapolis sinking during WWII and now Tony Hayward. It is easier to crucify one man than to fix the system.

Leave a comment:

• Steve.B
    replied
    Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    This is getting really ridiculous. On the news I heard that a senior White House representative had criticise Mr. Hayward for taking a weekend off, the first in two months. This was said to be "another PR gaff" by Mr. Hayward.
    I read that earlier myself, like you i could not believe it. The guy as probably not had a day to himself for weeks, and given all the undue pressure and slagging off he's received the last few weeks, i am sure the poor guy needs a couple of days rest. At the moment he's got the weight of the worlds most powerful country pressing down on his shoulders, i certainly could not imagine what that must be like. I for one think he well deserves a weekend off relaxing with his son. Though to be honest, i doubt very much he will be able to enjoy it, that man must have his head full of so much at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Steve.B
    replied
    I have just been reading a page that talks about the above issue with Halliburton and BP. I must say i have no idea how accurate the info is.

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m67115&hd=&size=1&l=e

They mention the possibility of gas and oil forcing it's way up the drill hole on the outside of the well casing, they mention that this could lead to the rock being eroded away, and in return the well becoming unstoppable. Is this something that's ever happened before in the industry? Or is this just wild speculation?

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    This is getting really ridiculous. On the news I heard that a senior White House representative had criticise Mr. Hayward for taking a weekend off, the first in two months. This was said to be "another PR gaff" by Mr. Hayward.
    Has all the White House staff and the Congressmen been "on the job" for two months as well??? What have they accomplished in as much as stopping the flow of oil, or to clean up the spill??

As far as I have understood he has given responsibility for following up the present operation to the GM of BP in America, who happens to be an American. Maybe that is what he should have done from the start so he didn't have to face downright uncivilised behavior from members of Congress who have problem understanding proper English.

I will say that whatever goodwill in the world that America has got back since Bush left they are in the process of squandering with this kind of behaviour. Most Europeans at least, and I suspect a number of Americans, are getting disgusted with the way this is being used to score cheap political point among the ill informed masses. Maybe that is as big a PR gaff as anything Mr. Hayward has done and said.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Originally posted by Nichu View Post
    Of professional interest only:

I saw that you mentioned a Halliburtion cementer's objections to the procedure of setting the bottom plug.

Can you direct me to a webpage where this is mentioned?
    (have searched the net with no results)

Obviously this person must have been under a considerable pressure, circumstations considered.
    I can't recall from where I got this, but it has been mentioned a few times in the news as a defence for Halliburton.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Of professional interest only:

I saw that you mentioned a Halliburtion cementer's objections to the procedure of setting the bottom plug.

Can you direct me to a webpage where this is mentioned?
    (have searched the net with no results)

Obviously this person must have been under a considerable pressure, circumstations considered.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
    Seeing the BOP photos makes me wonder about steel in salt water. How long do they last? I assume corrosion is slow at great depths but rust must eventually start. Do they repair rust and corrosion underwater? I assume that many parts can be unbolted and replaced but the main structure may be underwater working for many years.
    The BOP Stack belongs to the Rig and is pulled up once the drilling is completed and the well is secured, which is what they were in the process of doing here, as they thought they had accomplished securing the well by setting a cement plug.
    If it fails to pass test during the drilling operation, it can be pulled for inspection and repairs at any time, provided the well is "killed" with heavy mud.

What you are probably referring to is the Wellhead and Christmas Tree, which is placed on a producing well and remains on bottom for many years.
    Fortunately the corrosion is very slow in the depth of water we are talking about here. (No photosynthesis)
    Protective anodes are placed on the Christmas tree to reduce cathodic activity from different metals etc. Even Christmas trees may be replaced, if required, although it normally isn't because of corrosion.

The emphasize on "5000 ft. water depth" is a bit exaggerated in the media and by the parties involved here. This isn't a record breaking depth for drilling, or production. In fact the rig shown in the picture above is equipped to drill in 12,000 ft. The ROVs used are also designed for up to 10,000 ft. water depth.
    The complexity of manipulating things with ROVs are the same in any water depth. Once you get passed the capacity of Divers to work, there is no choice.
    Last edited by ombugge; June 19th, 2010, 17:19.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
    I do not remember Congress calling the head of NASA to appear after a Shuttle disaster and expect him to know every engineering detail, every process and know all manufacturing quality within NASA.

One Congressman apologized to Tony Hayward for the inappropriate treatment and he was immediately attacked from all sides. They are a pack of wild dogs turning on themselves. Seeing actions like this makes it easier to understand how the Nazi's could come to power or how massacres can happen in eastern Europe or Africa. They are working themselves into a frenzy and not thinking. They see so much red that hunting down and beating someone (Mr. Hayward) has become the number one goal. Rational thought and common decency have gone out the window and they now have "mob mentality". They are becoming their own monster, possibly worse than the disaster that started it all.

I sleep less well after seeing how our leaders are acting. We have the largest military in the world and our leaders have quickly sunk to a pack of wolves frothing at the mouth.
    Sorry to state the obvious, but the head of NASA was/is American and Mr Hayward spoke with an English accent.

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied
    Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    ...How can the CEO have detailed knowledge and control of every operation conducted by his company...
    I do not remember Congress calling the head of NASA to appear after a Shuttle disaster and expect him to know every engineering detail, every process and know all manufacturing quality within NASA.

One Congressman apologized to Tony Hayward for the inappropriate treatment and he was immediately attacked from all sides. They are a pack of wild dogs turning on themselves. Seeing actions like this makes it easier to understand how the Nazi's could come to power or how massacres can happen in eastern Europe or Africa. They are working themselves into a frenzy and not thinking. They see so much red that hunting down and beating someone (Mr. Hayward) has become the number one goal. Rational thought and common decency have gone out the window and they now have "mob mentality". They are becoming their own monster, possibly worse than the disaster that started it all.

I sleep less well after seeing how our leaders are acting. We have the largest military in the world and our leaders have quickly sunk to a pack of wolves frothing at the mouth.

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied
    Seeing the BOP photos makes me wonder about steel in salt water. How long do they last? I assume corrosion is slow at great depths but rust must eventually start. Do they repair rust and corrosion underwater? I assume that many parts can be unbolted and replaced but the main structure may be underwater working for many years.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Just to show what a BOP Stack WITH acoustic control looks like:

Enough Accumulator pressure to operate EVERY function on the stack at least twice:

Can be operated from a remote portable panel from any vessel on surface, incl. from a life boat, or even from a hovering Helicopter.
    Compulsory in Norway and Brazil, but NOT in the US.

It is installed on this newbuilt rig, which is heading for work in the GOM:

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    This whole thing has gone beyond a joke. All laws, common sense and normal behaviour among civilized people appears to be ignored by the elected lawmakers on Capitol Hill. If this is representative of American democracy at work, I'm happy not to be part of it.

Here is a mild and well mannered CEO of a large international corporation being treated like he was a stupid idiot. How can the CEO have detailed knowledge and control of every operation conducted by his company.
    Does these heavy hitting Congressmen know anything about drilling and well control? Do they know everything that goes on in their district, and do they accept responsibility if something goes wrong?

The American media is not much better. On Fox News (which I classify as a "News Comedy Show", a bit below the Daily Show in reliability) they even made fun of Mr. Hayward for speaking proper English. What did they expect him to speak? Would he be more acceptable if he put on a fake Southern accent?

The Chairman of BP, who is actually Swedish, was castigated for using the term "small people" to describe ordinary people living and working along the Gulf coast. Maybe a not too considered choice of word, but I think most people knew that he didn't mean dwarfs.

The other Oil Companies is also playing the blame game, even the partners in the MC252 concession. The CEO of Anadarko Petroleum Corporation has eventually come on the scene and declare that they will not pay their share of the cost of the capping and cleanup operation, because BP has been negligent or reckless. How can they say that? Because the President of the United State, no less, has said so. How does he know, before any investigation or enquiry into the cause of this incident has been concluded? I was of the impression that most of the law makers, and the President, is former Lawyers and should know that you should not make such statements when an investigation is ongoing.

When the blame can eventually be divided, how much will the same Law Makers accept for not having ensure that proper rules and regulations were in place to regulate deep water drilling?

They could learn a lot from the regulatory framework and formal training for drill crews, which is in place in Brazil and in Norway. But no, we don't need to learn from @#$% foreigners, or import foreign technology.
    Besides, Drilling Contractors and Oilcos are major contributors to their re-election funds. (Don't kill the hen that lays the golden egg, so to speak)

I have just seen off a new American owned and operated Drilling Rig bound for operation in the Gulf of Mexico, which had acoustic control for the BOP stack, although NOT REQUIRED BY US REGULATIONS. (See pictures in post below)
    Why do they spend the extra monies? Because they want to protect their assets and be prepared to move to Brazil to drill sometime in the future, without having to make major refurbishment on their rig and equipment. (That may happen earlier then expected now)

As to Steve's question about the BOP Stack; it is part of rig equipment and belong to the rig Owner. (In this case Transocean, NOT BP)
    The Operator (BP) MAY have had a say-so in the configuration (number and type of Rams) and in the testing schedule and procedures, but maintenance of the BOP and all associated equipment is the responsibility of the Drilling Contractor. (Transocean)

I believe the BOP stack on the DW Horizon was made by Cameron, who are a major supplier of such equipment, incl. the control unit and panels on the rig.
    I said earlier it had a capacity of 20,000 PSI working pressure rating. This is not correct, the rating is 15,000 PSI, which is more than adequate for the type of well they were drilling, provided it functioned as it should.

There is too much B...S... and too little reality in what is going on now.
    Let the experts, wherever they can be found or whoever they may be, do their job and cap the well first, then clean up the beaches. Thereafter you may start to look for who to blame and who pays what.
    There are national and international rules for this, not just whatever somebody, with little or no knowledge of the business, can manage to throw out to secure their re-election in November.

They should lift the Jones Act and accept all foreign help offered, rather then ride a nationalistic high horse.

IT IS PATHETIC TO WATCH THIS SHOW.
    No I feel better too Dane.
    Last edited by ombugge; June 19th, 2010, 10:46. Reason: Add text

Leave a comment:

Working...
X