Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday, august 1st, Smit Salvage sailed out of Longyearbyen,Svalbard in the direction of Hinlopen with the crane vessel "Cormorant" and the tug boats "Bear" and "Multratug 18" to start the work to remove the trawler "Northguider" that ran aground 28.12.2018

These are expected to arrive on Hinlopen on sunday, where they will begin rigging equipment. This is expected to take a few days before the ship repair work can begin. The plan is for welding and sealing damage to the hull, and that the vessel is eventually pulled off the ground and towed to the mainland for scrapping.
    Best wishes from Bengt Domben

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      That will be one for the memory book, even for Smit Salvage.

The salvage of "Northguider" was stopped by the ice conditions at the wreck. Both tugs and the crane barge sailed back to Longyearbyen where they arrived on august 15th.

It is the ice forecasts that made them decide to leave Hinlopenstretet. They do not want ice packing in the area around the boats, says Ole Gunstein Aasbø in Gard, which is the company's insurance company.
    The return to Longyearbyen means that the project is now losing precious time. If we believe what we are told by the insurance company Gard, the operation can still be carried out.

According to AIS this afternoon, all three vessels are now on their way back to the wreck of "Northguider" and will probably arrive on wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by DS Lyngen View Post
      The salvage of "Northguider" was stopped by the ice conditions at the wreck. Both tugs and the crane barge sailed back to Longyearbyen where they arrived on august 15th.

It is the ice forecasts that made them decide to leave Hinlopenstretet. They do not want ice packing in the area around the boats, says Ole Gunstein Aasbø in Gard, which is the company's insurance company.
      The return to Longyearbyen means that the project is now losing precious time. If we believe what we are told by the insurance company Gard, the operation can still be carried out.

According to AIS this afternoon, all three vessels are now on their way back to the wreck of "Northguider" and will probably arrive on wednesday.
      I have been "keeping an eye" on this operation for a while, and I find it quite amazing that the ship hasn't yet sunk all the way after all that time. Is she resting on the bottom, and therefore prevented from sinking?

She does have a significant list.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post

I have been "keeping an eye" on this operation for a while, and I find it quite amazing that the ship hasn't yet sunk all the way after all that time. Is she resting on the bottom, and therefore prevented from sinking?

She does have a significant list.
        "Northguider" lie on solid ground.
        She will not sink where she is now, but if the ice pushes her more out of the land, she can quickly end up at 400 meters depth at worst.
        Ice is a major problem for the salvage operation so far.

Map section from the area with depths.

Northguider aground by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Comment

OK, thanks for that explanation. I hadn't seen this map before and it explains well to me where she is and what might happen. I hope for a quick recovery of the ship and that she is "taken out" of that area soon.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A Malaysian tug and barge was blown ashore on a beach on the east coast of India, near Chilika Lake:

Reading various reports in the Indian press I realise that the Norwegian news media know more about things maritime then I have given them credit for. (Relatively that is):
            https://localwire.me/govt-officials-...-chilika-lake/

Comment

In connection with the work of the wrecked trawler "Northguider" there is hired two tugs to keep ice away from the grounded trawler, so the work team can try to get the job done.
              There has been an extreme amount of ice in the area this year.

It has been impossible to get diving operations done, and we have had to seek shelter for the weather, says Rune Bergstrøm, senior adviser in the Emergency Department of the Coastal Administration.

According to the Norwegian Coastal Administration, they hope that the work can now continue and if all forecasts strike, the trawler may be in tow to mainland Norway in October.
              If not, the trawler will stay another winter.

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks, winter is knocking on the door pretty fast now ...

The two tugboats that are hired are the Norwegian tugboat "Bryteren" and the other is the English tugboat "Afon Las"

Comment

Smit Salvage has encountered bigger problems at work than expected. Unusually challenging ice and wind conditions in the Hinlopen have meant that they have not, until now, been given a continuous working period long enough to straithening up the wreck. It now turns out that the damage in the hull is far greater than expected (12x 5 meters). This cannot be sealed with the methods they had envisaged to use. The wreck's owner Opilio AS, the insurance company Gard and the salvage company are now considering other alternatives for the progress of the wreck removal.
                One alternative is that work must be postponed until next summer.

The Norwegian Coastal Administration is awaiting further feedback from the salvage company.

The entire salvage fleet left the wreck and sailed to the Woodfjord about 70 nautical miles away yesterday afternoon, where they lay at anchor last night

Then we have to wait to see what Smit salvage decides to do next

This is a link to NCA in Norwegian: https://www.kystverket.no/Nyheter/20...ber/forsinket/

All information via the Norwegian Coastal Administration
                Last edited by DS Lyngen; October 5th, 2019, 15:30.

Comment

• Seagull
                  Seagull commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Appreciate the update, especially as there seems to be so much of maritime interest happening right now - just when I would not be able to keep up myself with everything that interests me!

Thanks for the update: the salvage doesn't seem as straight forward as we could hope for.

Comment

Smit Salvage left Longyearbyen on sunday afternoon and headed south to Holland with the three salvage boats.

Then it looks like they have decided that the salvage operation of the trawler "Northguider" is postponed until next year?

The Norwegian tugboat "Bryteren" left Longyearbyen early saturday morning and is sailing south to Stavanger.

The English tug boat "Afon Las" sails south to Bergen.

Comment

SPL Princess Anastasia, ex. Olympia, seems to have had a blackout tonight and made a visit at the shore of island "Lidingö" in Stockholm.

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      She is back at the wharf in Frihamen so no "big case": https://maritimebulletin.net/2019/11...off-stockholm/
                      Apparent reason; Black out.
                      Last edited by ombugge; November 7th, 2019, 11:30.

• Tommi
                      Tommi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This morning on national radio, a representative for the Swedish maritime adminsitration said that the main reason for the black out was the clogging of the fuel filters to the auxialiry engines. The clogging should have been a result of changing bunker from one type another, which had caused some kind of chemical reaction in the fuel.
                      I have a feeling that they are running on "clean" bunker when berthed in Stockholm, and "cheap & dirty" when out on the sea...

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Depends on what you call "cheap & dirty". Baltic is covered by restrictions on SOx and NOx emission so the cheapest HFO is out of bond, but they may use Low Sulphur bunker fuel while on the crossings. (??)
                  Working...
                  X