This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    To avoid camera shake when you press the shutter (for Lady E: the thingy you press to take the picture), I often also use the selftimer so that I can keep my fingers away from the camera when the picture is being taken.

And... if you go through with this, I can guarantee you that you will find a lot of thrill in taking low light, and night time photos... !
    Thanks for the "heads up" on that button thingy you press....

And, I guess I'll find the tripod..because, Gawd knows, I am in need of a lot of thrills in my life...........

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      Dear members: it's time to prepare yourself for one of the absolutely most amazing tugboat pictures I have ever come across. It was taken at a cruise with the Pacific Sun whilst they were leaving from Noumea.
      Again i am a little late in commenting on a picture
      I am stunned by this photograph, when i first looked at the photo i did so without looking at the text and description. My first thought was 'WOW', what a fantastic piece of computer generated art. Then when i read the text and looked at the picture again i could hardly believe it was a real photo. I have never seen anything like it before. A 5 second exposure and yet the tug is so clear, the photographer certainly picked the right time to get that wonderful shot.

A photo full of movement, but with no movement, if you see what i mean.

Truly a very impressive piece of work!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
        That decides it...I'm taking a tripod with me. Guess that fourth long formal gown will have to go.... I love getting up early and watching the pilot boat come alongside...(yes, my mother thinks I'm a lunatic....but she's thought I was a bit "off" for my entire life!!! )

Anybody have any suggestions for a REALLY collapsible tripod? I have a flexible gorrillapod, but I think I need something that will expand...
        That photo above of mine, (the tug on the blurred water) was taken without a tripod.
        my only tripod is too big and heavy to drag around with me.

what i did for that shot was brace against the railing on the edge of the ship.
        the camera i use has a fairly large flat section on the bottom, and i can generally find something to brace it against.
        from memory i pushed the camera against a vertical support for the rail, and the bottom of the rail, which left the tug a little off centre.
        a bit of cropping centred it back up again.

if you want something really small and portable, a superclamp, with a lightweight ballhead, or a "Variable friction arm" will give you a lot of flexibility, providing you can find something to mount too.
        on a ship there is normally plenty of metalwork around to quickly clamp to. it will also quickly clamp to tables, chairs, etc for a quick shot using the self timer.

just make sure you keep the camera attached to you, the last thing you need is to drop it over the side. i generally clip the shoulder strap to my belt with a load rated carabiner

Comment

Originally posted by Echo63 View Post
          just make sure you keep the camera attached to you, the last thing you need is to drop it over the side. i generally clip the shoulder strap to my belt with a load rated carabiner
          Very good point which I forgot to mention! Very important to remember.

I recall an episode on a cruise where a guest lost a very expencive Nikon overboard whilst trying to make a night time photo on the railing... couldn't have been a pleasant experience at all.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Well, and I can sometimes be a bit of a klutz...you know, juggling camera, formal gown, champagne....

It's a tough life, but someone has to do it.....

Comment

i can I CAN i can

tugboat from a shipsrepairyard
              best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                i can I CAN i can

tugboat from a shipsrepairyard
                Lots of anchors stacked at the yard there. Is that by any change the VRYHOF yard?

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  Lots of anchors stacked at the yard there. Is that by any change the VRYHOF yard?
                  no,and when i googled to vrijhof they are in the city`s krimpen a/d ijssel en cappele a/d ijssel,this one was taken in Rotterdam.
                  have pass there 10 times this week ,but never look at the sine of the yard.

when i passed there this week i will look,also how the anchor yards name is
                  where i loaded some anchors (have pics of them,but on paper)

best regards Thijs

Comment

hello ombugge

you ware right,it is the vryhof yard.
                    there is a sign there with vryhof achors,what the shipsrepair yard name is ,i don't know for now.

on google i found only (where i have looked) vryhof yard in other places.

the other achor company i don't now either havend bin in the corner of the port jet.

had the time today to go to the atlas, lies already a coupple of weeks there,
                    but gone today,for asking al the former names of the sheerleg.

regards thijs
                    Last edited by janihudi; February 5th, 2010, 21:08.
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

you ware right,it is the vryhof yard.
                      there is a sign there with vryhof achors,what the shipsrepair yard name is ,i don't know for now.
                      even more confused now,in that street where 2 anchors yards,
                      VRIJHOF and SCHMITT according the signs,so have to drive into the street to see which is which

the other achor company i don't now either havend bin in the corner of the port jet.
                      bin there,that other anchor yard (on the third picture) is WORTELBOER anchors
                      on google earth can you with streetvieuw go to the gate of WORTELBOER,and see a lot of anchors piled?? up

i have load there a anchor ones from 10 tons, made a lot of pictures ,but after a computercrash and no extern disc, everything gone.

shit happens so to speake

regards thijs
                      Last edited by janihudi; February 6th, 2010, 14:03.
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

last year when i took the pictures of the "QUEEN VICTORIA" in a foggy rainy morning,was across the waterway the tug "ELBE" moored in Maassluis.
                        Maassluis was the homeport of SMIT.
                        in Maassluis is now a tugmuseum and in the harbur are now laying 2 ships
                        the "FURIE and the "ELBE",which they are restoring now,and in a way that she can sail again for party`s, event`s and seagooing roundtrips.
                        while the picture wassend that good ,i never placed here,ontill now.

and for this reason,i buyd me a copy of a truckmagazine and there was a artikle in over the history and renovation of the "ELBE".

also a reason to go to the museum

regards thijs
                        Last edited by janihudi; February 6th, 2010, 17:19.
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

Smit tug "Loire"

My very first experience with towage was on the tug "Loire", belonging to Smit and on "Salvage Station Singapore" back in the end of 1967.

I was 1st Mate on a vessel which had a fire in Rumbai, Indonesia and was towed back to Singapore by this tug.

As there were no official charts of the river the Captain of the "Loire" refused to come 90 n.miles up river to Rumbai on his own, so I piloted her up and down the Siak River. Down again with the "Slogen" in tow on a VERY short tow line.

With your interest and knowledge of Smit tugs, do you have any pictures or information on that tug?

Comment

hallo ombugge

my knowledge ain´t that big,i think your knowledge is bigger then myne, about ships.
                            i found a few,so far.

in 1952 came on the yard of gusto the third tug of this classe the "LOIRE" ready.
                            this tug is sold in 1969 to the fhillipins?? to the luzon stevedoring corporation in Manilla and renamed Kamehameha.

Loire 1952, yard 'Gusto', Schiedam, 384 brt, 1350 hp, enginetug.
                            Juli 1969 'Kamehameha' Luzon Stevedoring Corp., Manilla.

Tug "LOIRE"

Mslb. LOIRE (27.07919) PFPH

Bouwjaar 1952 werf, Smulders, Schiedam bouwnummer 1.

Lxbxhxdg.: 43,26 x 8,25 x 4,05 x 4,19 meter, verplaatsing 384 brt.

1 x 8 cilinder Werkspoor uit 1952 vermogen 850 apk. = 625 kW.

Nmen:

1952 LOIRE L.Smit & Co’s Internationale Sleepdienst Maatschappij N.V., Rotterdam.

1969 KAMEHAMEHA Luzon, Manila, Filippijnen.
                            Last edited by janihudi; February 6th, 2010, 19:59.
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Many thanks for that janihudi.
                              I did remember approx. what this tug looked like in her prime but didn't know she had been sold to Luzon Salvage on a short time after my short sojourn.

Looking at the pictures I remember a bit of a comical situation that occurred when we arrived at Rumbai, where we had to turn in the narrow river, or proceed further up river to a turning basin in Pakanbaru.

We used to turn the ship by putting the bow against the river bank at a specific spot just above Rumbai where the river was wide enough (290 ft.) to turn. Using the engine to hold the bow firmly against the bank, and rudder hard over, we could turn ships up to 270 ft. length and 15 ft. draft as long as the current was not too strong.

I did the same with this smaller tug. What I didn't think of was that the wheel house was very close to the bow and the draft was a lot less. This resulted in the jungle coming all the way into the wheelhouse windows, to the amazement of the Captain and crew.

Going down river with the wreck of "Slogen" in tow, we made better speed then we would normally use with that ship, at least in the upper and narrow reaches of Siak River.

Now I have to go and look at what happened to the 'Kamehameha'.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

Now I have to go and look at what happened to the 'Kamehameha'.
                                i haved look at google for finding something about 'Kamehameha' ,al that came out of it ,has to do with music.
                                but to be onnest ,i didn't surch long to it
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X