Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of Harstad's two tugboats -"Astrid"(but we call it "Slagskibet Astrid")

And in Narvik : "Rombak" and "Rallaren"...perhaps we could trick the people of Narvik to make an exchange? "Astrid" for "Rombak"...sounds like a great deal to me

Comment

Slagskipet Astrid (Battleship Astrid)... that is agood one!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

As I drove down to a dock at Gomalandet to take a picture of a tanker over at Shell, a small tug came into Dalesundet.
        This tug was "Stadt Tug" towing "Stadt Barge", eventually docking over at Sterkoder yard.
        Don't know why my images are not so sharp. I have my IS on, but maybe I use a too high ISO?? It's set to 400 on most images today).

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          As I drove down to a dock at Gomalandet to take a picture of a tanker over at Shell, a small tug came into Dalesundet.
          This tug was "Stadt Tug" towing "Stadt Barge", eventually docking over at Sterkoder yard.

Don't know why my images are not so sharp. I have my IS on, but maybe I use a too high ISO?? It's set to 400 on most images today).
          I think you have done well in these...

I think I would have tried a lover ISO, and it seems as if the reason why they seem a bit unclear (washed out) is that the bright sunlight on the white superstructure has the wrong setting on the whitebalance.

A rule of thumb that I use, which might be good as a help:

- set the camera to the lowest possible ISO and if the image turns out blurred, increase the ISO setting in the next try. I try sticking to ISO 100 and 200, or 320.

- when using a telezoom, it becomes difficult to handhold a 200mm at less than 1/200 shutter speed (don't go lover on shutterspeed than the zoom-setting you currently have)

Does this make any sense?

Or is it easier to say that less than 1/200 shutter speed is really hard to handhold?

Hmmm.... I think I'm not making sense right now....

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

You are making great sense, captain!!!
            You know, when using old "analog" SLR's and 135mm film, I never went above ISO 200, so why I feel the need now beats me....
            Took several pictures of the tug, and when the sun mirrored in the white superstructure, it was just like the hole image turned into velvet...., just as soft.
            I'm sure I have the ability to preset the white balance in my camera, but have not yet found out how.

To move from my FujiFilm Finepix S-1500 up a notch to a DSLR with changeable lenses is quite a job....., quite a job!

Thank you so much for your good and professional help, my friend!!!!
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

If I ever get to your corner of the world, and/or you get to my corner of the country, then, we will have us a real proper talk about all this!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                If I ever get to your corner of the world, and/or you get to my corner of the country, then, we will have us a real proper talk about all this!
                ...but off course, I'm by far no expert, but I'm sure we can learn from eachother!

Comment

Have been watching this forum/thread for a long while now, and today I decided to upload some of my own photos of different tugs around the world

I'm a mariner of occupation myself, and currently I work as Chief Officer on board a norwegian tug, ASD "BB Worker" (90 m.t. bp), in the company Buksér og Berging AS. I've worked in this company for the last three years now.
                  With the years I've worked on board different kind of tugs. My first trip on board a tug was in the summer -98, on board the old "Waterchief" (ex. "Waterman") as a summer job.
                  I've also worked on board other kind of vessels, e.g. ferries, small passenger vessels, cargovessel, PSV, wellboat and buoy-tenders.

So, here comes some of my photos of different tugs around the world. Hope you guys are finding them interesting

"Abramis" in Namsfjorden, Norway.

Regards,
                  Eskild
                  Master Mariner

Comment

AHT "Janus" towing the "Acergy Piper" outside Las Palmas, autumn -08.

Regards,
                    Eskild
                    Master Mariner

Comment

"Adelaar" in Rotterdam.

Regards,
                      Eskild
                      Master Mariner

Comment

"Ad Goirle" in Rotterdam.

Regards,
                        Eskild
                        Master Mariner

Comment

"Adrianus" underway into Vlissingen.

Regards,
                          Eskild
                          Master Mariner

Comment

"Ajax" in Hjeltefjorden, Norway.

Regards,
                            Eskild
                            Master Mariner

Comment

"Bamse Tug" underway from Bergen to CCB - Coast Center Base, Norway.

Regards,
                              Eskild
                              Master Mariner

Comment

"Bamse Tug", "Buddy" and "Pax" assisting "Amundsen Spirit" in Stavanger, Norway.

Regards,
                                Eskild
                                Master Mariner

Comment

Working...
                                X