X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Thank you. I think that is one that I have tried from our market-day fish stall, and didn't like. I'm reluctant to spend money on another try in case my recollection is correct!

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    It is a Monkfish (Breiflabb). Very good to eat and now popular in Norway, although expensive. In the "good old days" (some 30-40 years ago) it was killed and thrown back.

• wherrygirl
    replied
    So what is the "little beauty"?

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Ever wondered what 500 tonnes of Mackerel looks like??
    Here it is, before it gets mixed with tomato sauce:

No fishing boat to be seen, but this little beauty was caught by one:

At 52 kg. it should be able to feed a few hungry mouths.
    Only the head would make enough "Fish head Curry" to satisfy the patrons at Banan Leaf Restaurant in Little India for an hour: http://www.yoursingapore.com/content...eaf-apolo.html

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    A type of large Fishing Vessels not seen much on the Northern Hemisphere, Squid Giggers in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands: http://en.mercopress.com/2015/02/20/...oard-incidents
    These boats are not exactly high standard when it comes to crew facilities and are frequently being described as "slave ships" due to the conditions their mostly Indonesian crews are working under.

The cruise ship in the background may be of more interest to most here on CVF. But which one??

Leave a comment:

• Tommi
    commented on Guest's reply
    That seems to be a nice trawler, thanks for posting Joakim!

Guest replied
    "Straumberg"

Straumberg by JoakimAndré, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Yeah! The fishing results are back!! So i can continue my statistics...

Leave a comment:

• Jack Mulder
    replied
    UK 190 Hoop Op Zegen leaving Den Helder harbour.

Picture © Ruud Mulder

Leave a comment:

Guest commented on 's reply
    It is difficult to say how many vessels of this type built in the 1960s as fish snow crab in the Barents Sea right now.

But I will not be surprised if we see more vessels of this type with the huge amount of snow crab in the Barents Sea ahead.

• ombugge
    replied
    Originally posted by Grindøya
    "Arctic Wolf" heading for the Barents sea to fish snow crabs earlier this month.

Arctic Wolf by Grindøya, on Flickr
    How many are there of these old GOM boats fishing Snowcrabs in the Barentz Sea? I notice that there are some registered in Lithuania as well. Here one seen in Aalesund:

The Arctic Wolf is among the oldest of the type, built in Lockport in 1965. Not much of the old vessel appears to be intact.
    Even the superstructure is changed and probably the main engines as well, but the hull shape is easily recognizable.
    Here is a typical GOM boat from the same yard, but build in 1979:
    Last edited by ombugge; October 25th, 2014, 06:30. Reason: Changed text for clarity

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    A different kind of Fishing Vessels from what we normally see here on CVF.
    The Tuna Seiner Demiku from the Seychelles is at ST Marine yard in Singapore for repairs after a fire:

Birds eye view from the bridge of Skandi Atlantic:

The Net boat is a massive thing:

Typical American style Tuna Seiner with the power block on a boom.
    Norwegian Seiners started up like that when they first got power blocks installed. After several capsizing they got the Triplex block down low.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    PS> Found her on Miramar. Originally OSV Marsea 16, built by Halter Marine 1981. Converted to Crabber in 1990.
    Here she is as Blue Dutch:

As Polar Sirkel with traps on deck:

And with snow:

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Came across this old Storvik Trawler on Shipspotting.com. Originally built at Storvik in 1970 as Oksfjord:

Now owned and operated from Montevideo, Uraguay under the name Chapoma. Apparently several more of the Storvik Trawlers are operating in the same area.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    It is a boom trawler, pulling heavy nets along the bottom to catch bottom dwelling fish of all kind, especially flounders etc.
Working...
X