Cruise Ships of the World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cruise Ships of the World

I'm not much into the Cruiseing world, but the way I understand it Happy Cruises doesn't OWN or Operate any ship> They take ships on Time Charter from various Owners, who are mostly "one ship" companies owned by speculators and registered in various Tax Havens.

The Operation, (Technical and Crewing) of the ships is handled by Ship Management companies, not by the Owner nor by the Charterer. Prominent among these is a company called ISP in Miami, Fl., but with a distinctive Scandinavian twist.

As far as I can see from their Fleet List they are the Managers for several of the ships chartered to Happy Cruises: http://www.isp-usa.com/fleet/index.html but I don't see the Happy Dolphin among them.

Xxxxx Cruises only handle the commercial side, i.e. finding the customers and organizing the cruise itinerary etc. As long as they earn enough to pay the Owner and Manager the Charter Hire, the cost of Fuel and Port expenses etc., this can be good business. No high upfront investment cost and no high risk. But when they don't they walk away. They are only responsible to their Creditors and the Agents who have collected monies from future passengers and in many cases they don't honour these either.

The Crew is the responsibility of the Ship Manager and the ship itself is the responsibility of the Owners, who is most likely not shipping oriented, in which case the Ship Manager may also be handling the Administrative Management of the ship on behalf of the speculators or finance institutions who actually own the ship. If and when things goes badly wrong and the liabilities may exceed the value of the ship, it is sometime VERY difficult to find out who these Owners are.
    Last edited by ombugge; October 10th, 2011, 12:44.

Comment

A mini Cruise Ship Orion II seen at Keppel Singmarine today:

More info: http://www.cruisingholidays.co.uk/ships/orion2.htm

Comment

If I'm not too off on my memory, the Orion is a former Renaissance ship, right?
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Horizon Nakhchivan passing in front of Pullmantur's Horizon.

Oh, and that's Istanbul in the background.
          Last edited by pilotdane; October 14th, 2011, 02:06. Reason: forgot to mention Istanbul

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
            Horizon Nakhchivan passing in front of Pullmantur's Horizon.

Oh, and that's Istanbul in the background.
            I can still see the Chandris / Celebrity X in the funnel if I look closely.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

When there in person I could not see any details of the ship. It was not until I started looking at my pictures that I could tell who she was. First I saw the big X but then cropped in a bit closer and the freshly painted Pullmantur showed.

Comment

If you can see through the haze it's Ruby Princess.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                  If you can see through the haze it's Ruby Princess.

I really like this picture, even though this ship is probably not amongst the most beautiful designs...

Comment

A few shots of our temporary home, Pacific Princess.

I kept looking at the life boats throughout the voyage and imagined how I might convert them to slow moving yachts. I think the first is not a bad candidate but I'm sure she likes to roll.

This one looks more stable and faster but with no useful living space in the hulls I kept looking back at the fat mono hull life boats. Maybe this cat could work with a flybridge to add a little space.

Comment

Pacific Princess docked in Odessa.

Comment

I found a couple photos I had forgotten about. Here is Pacific in Constanta, Romania. Sorry for so many pictures of Pacific. Once we entered the Black Sea we were it. I did not see another cruise ship until we got back to Istanbul.

Comment

Isn't that type of breakwater called "tetrapodes", and a Norwegian invention?

Comment

Here is where many of my photos from the Black Sea came from.

And berthed just behind us is Viking's Mikhail Lomondsov.

Comment

The World in Mariehamn, Åland islands, 17 july.

Comment

Which balcony on 'The World' is yours Tommi?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X