No announcement yet.

Cruise Ships of the World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You got a great selection of cruise ships there, Patrick.
    What a great photo of Funchal with that swirl of smoke, a superb high viewpoint for my favourite Discovery, and that angle of view of Infinity shows her blue and white paint scheme off to advantage.

Comment

• Patrick H
      Patrick H commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Seagull. Cork Harbour offers several great vantage points for ship photography so I try to use as many as possible.

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't see Funchal before.She has a family likeness with the old Hurtigruten vessels.

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      You can find an article about Funchal on Wikipedia.
      And google Portucales cruise.
      This young company tries to develope its activities by using old vessels totaly refurbished even if it is not a easy business.

I'm on holiday in Iceland, currently staying in Reykjavķk, and can report that today would have been a good day in Reykjavķk for any enthusiast of interesting ships, old and new: Fram, Discovery, and Funchal were all here today! I knew nothing of that, didn't look up itineraries etc., when I walked to the old harbour in the city and suddenly had Fram in front of me! And then, when I looked towards the new harbour from a window of the concert hall Harpa, I saw a funnel I immediately recognized as Discovery's... *and* after I left the concert hall, there was a shuttle bus to the new harbour bearing the sign "Shuttle bus to Discovery and Funchal"! I didn't have time for a visit to these two fine vessels, but I was able to take a few photos of Fram, some of them rather unusual, I think (incorporating the distinctive Harpa architecture)... the Lürssen-built super yacht "Vive La Vie" was also there. Probably you have to wait for a few weeks, but I certainly are planning to upload some of the photos

Comment

Take your time, but we all will look forward to it. Enjoy your holidays. We will start a 5 days railroad tour through your country at the end of this month.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Cruise ship seen in the King George VI Dock, Sembawang Shipyard, Singapore yesterday:

I didn't get to see the name, but I'm sure somebody will add that here.

Comment

For my Fram pictures from Reykjavķk promised above, see the Fram thread

After staying in Reykjavķk, I joined a cruise. Surely, the Delphin, of 1975 can be seen as a kind of veteran cruise vessel by now, though she's a bit too new to fit in the "veterans" forum here Her story is interesting: Originally built in Finland by Wärtsilä as a car ferry (or early "cruise ferry") for the Soviet Union together with four sister ships, she got converted to a cruise ship later, former car decks used for adding passenger accommodation, and the bow visor welded shut. Maybe not extremely elegant, but in my opinion, she has quite some charm.

I enjoyed a cruise with her from Iceland to Scotland and Hamburg - it had even a bit of "Hurtigruten feeling" to it, I'd say - coming from the size and general layout of the vessel, her history as a ferry, and the relaxed atmosphere on board. She's sailing for a German company (though owned by an Indian), positioning her as a mid-priced "three star" vessel (with an emphasis on good cuisine). Not surprisingly, most passengers were German, there were maybe 10 from Switzerland amongst the circa 400 passengers, and a group of 23 from Finland organized by Kristina Cruises.

Some pictures:

The small "library":

The bow - clearly visible where the bow visor used to be:

In Ķsafjöršur, Iceland - for some reason the bow's not entirely in the picture...

Ķsafjöršur again:

Seen from a Zodiac boat on the Faroe Islands:

Comment

• Seagull
            Seagull commented
            Editing a comment
            For some reason I completely missed looking at this post (maybe I was too rapidly diverted to the Fram thread! . Anyway, Delphin seems a very pleasant ship with a fascinating history, and right on cue (due to my delay!) she also figures in Sigve’s Gallery today.

• Gestumblindi
            Gestumblindi commented
            Editing a comment
            Occupied by lots of other matters, I didn't visit this forum for a while, but thanks for your reply! Sadly, the future for Delphin doesn't look too good, as I have learned recently: The German operator filed for insolvency, and I have seen contradictory reports of what the Indian owner is planning to do with the ship now - using her for cruises in India after a refit, or selling her, things don't seem that clear to me.

Hmmmm..... don't really recognize that cruiseship in post 379, nor the funnel marking.

Looks like a smaller... could it be the former Alexander Humbolt?

But if it is, then she has been rebuilt with additional balconies?
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

NORWEGIAN STAR at Stockholm 28-07-2014.

Comment

Just noticed that you cracked the case of that mysterious ship, ombugge.

Off course.... Paul Gauguin... I didn't even think of that one. I searched for Prestige Cruises but didn't find any matching vessels... Thanks for solving that one!
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Here is a nice size of Cruise ship in my opinion:

Seen at Sembawang Shipyard a few days ago.

Comment

Star Cruise's Taipan seen at Swettenham Pier, Gorgetown, Penang:

She is a regular, leaving every afternoon/evening.

Comment

More Cruise ships seen at Swettenham Pier, Penang.
                  This one should be familiar to many, Azamara Quest:

These two are not seen outside S.E.Asia these days. Star Cruise's Libra and Taipan:

Comment

• pilotdane
                    pilotdane commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, what I would give to be there aboard Quest.

Taipan again:

Comment

There appears to be an interest in a certain Cruise Ship which is homeported in Penang.
                    Here is Star Libra back at Swettenham Pier, Georgetown, Penang after another one-day Cruise:

Pakarang view:

As seen from the cross-harbour car ferry from Georgetown to Butterworth, Penang:

She will be leaving again this evening for another short cruise.

Comment

Another Cruise ship visiting Penang:

Comment

Who is that "Smoky" in the distance there??:

Aha, the Leisure World, ex Skyward, heading out from Tg. Belungkor, Johor, with another load of suckers for a day of gambling:

A real veteran. Built for Kloster Cruises in Bremerhaven,1969.

Comment

Working...
                        X