Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cruise Ships of the World

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
    I cant answer that question !, but the ship was so clean, quiet and sailed so smoothly, sometimes i didn't even know we had moved from the dock.
    I was intrigued, so had a search! According to other sources on the web, the pods don't do anything, but are to signify that the ship is gas turbine powered - which it is. That would probably also explain why Kiki found the ships so comfortable and smooth.
    Last edited by PoloUK; February 18th, 2012, 18:40.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

This is Pacific Princess, much smaller, only about 870 passengers, but so impressed with the quietness and smoothness as well. doesn't have any pods though. Taken in 2010 visiting AJACCIO, CORSICA, FRANCE

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Hi Ombugge, Looking at post #144 i remember seeing the ship in Malta in 2010, so here she is ,

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
          I cant answer that question !, but the ship was so clean, quiet and sailed so smoothly, sometimes i didn't even know we had moved from the dock.
          Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
          I was intrigued, so had a search! According to other sources on the web, the pods don't do anything, but are to signify that the ship is gas turbine powered - which it is. That would probably also explain why Kiki found the ships so comfortable and smooth.
          Thank you both for having a look. I could not find a reason for them being there, but what Mark says does make sense. They certainly do not look out of place on her, i have seen plenty of pictures of her in the past and have never given them a second glance before now.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I wonder if Island Princess actually uses the turbine? I recall on Westerdam that it was only run very rarely mainly to insure that it still worked. The main propulsion power came from the more fuel efficient diesels.

Comment

I have been hitting the general ship spotting thread pretty hard so I thought I would throw some here.

Here is Voyager of the Seas entering Venice.

And, in light of Costa's recent accidents I thought it funny that I had taken a close-up photo of her life boats. Hopefully they will never need these.

Last edited by pilotdane; March 1st, 2012, 02:44.

Comment

China has their first cruise ship....

Looks like the former Raddison Diamond....

http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai/visit/...et-sail-651654
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I almost threw these photos in with canal boats but... Costa Victoria was heading out one evening so I caught a Vaporetto who's route went by the ship, and as usual I managed to get the tug boat in the pictures as well. Two for one.

Comment

Vanna C posed nicely for me.

Comment

Costa Victoria is a sister ship of the Norwegian Sky, am I not right?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Article from Skipsmagasinet in Norway...

http://skipsmagasinet.no/index.php?i...he=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=396&cHash=dc60a01505e1caaa41191252c51a7cd4

Copy and paste the whole link, it won't work otherwise....

Interesting story actually.... Soon you can sail on the brand new MSC Preziosa which was originally ordered as Gadaffi's private cruiseship.... (???)

He, and his son, had finished 50% of the ship they intended to call Phoenica, by the time they were overthrown.... and then MSC bought the ship and will finish her as MSC Preziosa.

Soon she will set sail.... AMAZING!

Comment

hi there

i just went to the North Sea canal to see the SUN passing by

location Velsen-Zuid next summer she will visit Alaska

best,
                          Joe

Comment

i like this one too

Comment

Today MARCO POLO is in St Helier Jersey, she was too far out to take a photo from the beach. I felt quite emotional as i looked at her, remembering my cruises on her in 2006 and 2007. I think it is the first time she has visited Jersey. It was such a beautifull day, i hope the passengers enjoyed their visit.

Comment

The new Cruise Center in Singapore will receive the first ship this coming Saturday:

The first one will be the Voyager of the Seas, which is home ported here:

The terminal is designed to handle large ships, up to 360 m. LOA and handling 6800 Pax in one go: http://www.montrealgazette.com/trave...269/story.html

Let us hope that the Oasis class ships stay where they are.

Comment

Working...
                                X