The next tender: Fosen Namsos Sjø (FNS) is back at Flakk-Rørvik

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two more images from my current office:

2019_02_04 G7XM2-Lagatun duty-IMG_3577 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_02_04 G7XM2-Lagatun duty-IMG_3580 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

With Munken into the night:

2019_01_29 G7XM2 Nightwatch-IMG_3548-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice picture, but doesn't that bright light in the bow make it harder to see the quay?

Thank you Tommi for dropping by and for your comment.

No, actually not. It's not as bad as it looks. But I have to say this though, in thick snow, I turn off almost all light until we are in position.

Here are some more images for all of you to enjoy, they are all taken back in December whilst still on the infamous K.

Lagatun:

2018_12_15 EOS5D-Lagatun-IMG_7211 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Lagatun as seen from K:

2018_12_15 EOS5D-Lagatun-IMG_7229 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Munken:

2018_12_15 EOS5D-Munken-IMG_7199 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_15 EOS5D-Munken-IMG_7222 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Munken in suset:

2018_12_15 EOS5D-Munken-IMG_7231 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_15 EOS5D-Munken-IMG_7242 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Munken as seen from K:

2018_12_15 EOS5D-Munken-IMG_7248 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Munken and Lagatun:

2018_12_16 EOS5D-Munken og Lagatun-IMG_7259 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

A few more, actually eight more shots for all of you from me:

Munken and Lagatun:

2018_12_16 EOS5D-Munken og Lagatun-IMG_7260 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_16 EOS5D-Munken og Lagatun-IMG_7267 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_16 EOS5D-Munken og Lagatun-IMG_7272 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_16 G7XM2-Last day on Korsfjord-IMG_3427 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_16 G7XM2-Last day on Korsfjord-Munken og Lagatun-IMG_3421 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_16 G7XM2-Last day on Korsfjord-Munken og Lagatun-IMG_3419 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

And finally, my old K at the old dock, my last shift on board:

2018_12_16 G7XM2-Last day on Korsfjord-IMG_3424 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Got to test the ferry in a local gale today: 32 meters per second for the entire day, with rain and heavy swells. No departures canceled, but an extremely tired Captain after 14 hours in the Captains chair.

Time to rest... have just 12 hours to make myself ready for another 14 hours in the chair.

VDO coming soon to youtube, from the winds and swells of the day.

PS: The vessel handles the water impressively. She is a delight to "drive" (as in sail).

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            Even if it has been a challenge, it still sounds like a success!

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            That is good new, so a well done design. Can you name the improvements, which have been done? Different keel design? More weight of the power unit? Different shape of the hull?.

A few days ago, I spent 4-5 days on board the Trondheim as her Captain... it was quite an immense change for me to go back to the "ordinary" propeller and rudder ferry.

Having been on thruster ferries for nearly a decade, going back to something "that old" is probably like jumping from an A350 to a DC9.

Aft navigation desk:

2019_04_26 G7XM2-BF Trondheim akter-IMG_6120 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Forward navigation desk:

2019_04_26 G7XM2-BF Trondheim forut-IMG_6124 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Lagatun and Munken as seen earlier this month:

2019_06_01 G7XM2-Lagatun arriving-IMG_6205 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Lagatun:

2019_05_17 EOS5D-Munken and Lagatun-IMG_9241 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Based on the overwhelming response to my last images, I wasn't going to share these here.... but what the heck, here they are anyway:

2019_07_28 MAVIC2PRO-Lagatun and Munken-DJI_0182-1 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_07_26 MAVIC2PRO-Lagatun-DJI_0165 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

"Ralf__ commented
                  February 28th, 2019, 13:42
                  That is good new, so a well done design. Can you name the improvements, which have been done? Different keel design? More weight of the power unit? Different shape of the hull?."

Of course these pictures are wonderful, but don't be too upset about the overwhelming response, since you did not answer my questions....

(for sure you did not notice, but i could not resist!! )

Are there the famous 10 differences between the two sisters?
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

hahahahaha.... god one, Ralf, and thank you!

There is a lot of effort at keeping the two sisters as identical as possible, but after a little more than half a year, there are some differences:

The smell on board is different.

There are plants in the mess room on Lagatun.

The barometric pressure and navigational information is placed differently on the two bridges.

.... not much more, YET.

But as I said, there is a lot of effort put into keeping them truly identical.

When it comes to ship handling in bad weather, the greatest improvement from my previous, is that the thrusters are placed at the each extreme end of the ship. I believe also that the "slingrekjøl" bilge-keel is larger on these ferries, making them roll less when seas come in from the side.

Another thing I have noticed is that they FEEL sturdier. They don't rattle and shake as much in seas, or when arriving at the fender wall. This gives us way smoother arrivals. Navigation wise, these are great ferries.

Comment

• Ralf__
                      Ralf__ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for these explanations. On some other place there was once the question, if there won't be the ideal ferry design some day. As i read now, there is always space for new improvements - and there were many! So as i read, for you it is a much more comfortable working place. Great!

Very interesting point: the different smell!
                      What can that be? Different parfumes, after shaves or deodorants of the crew? Different food served? Different materials used for fixing the floors? Different colors or cleaning material? Nice task, isn't it?

Still, after having been a ferry-nation for XXX-number of years, we are still not at a point where we design and construct the perfect ferry.

The knowledge we (the crew on board) sit with, will never be sought when a design company sits down making drawings for a new ferry. Our opinions are of no value to them. They design something that looks great on the paper and that works in theory... but years of maritime competence shows them taking wrong again and again.

I find this sad and beyond tragic that we simply can not move forward to create something that is better for the crew, for the operation and for the safety.

Munken has a "new-ship" smell that we don't have on Lagatun: the reason is really hard to find I guess. I noticed it last time I was on night watch, when I had to run over to the other ferry to switch off some instruments on the bridge. The smell between the ships are very different.

Comment

is it by the way she is designed,but she looks so much shorter than the Korsfjord?
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                        is it by the way she is designed,but she looks so much shorter than the Korsfjord?
                        She is slightly shorter, K was just about 123 meters long, but Lagatun (and Munken) is 108 meters long. The new ones are also a bit more compact and much taller than before.

Comment

• janihudi
                          janihudi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          the K looks more sleek than the L &M. the extra lenght is not even a truck long

Did you know that there is whiskey made in Switzerland? (Neither did I)
                        More surprising; a distillery there produce a whiskey called Langatun:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6kxyYYwxGU
                        Don't know if it is carried by Vinmonopolet in Trondheim.
                        Last edited by ombugge; August 31st, 2019, 21:30.

Comment

Working...
                        X