Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RENAMED THREAD: The Korsfjord, and the official FLAKK-RØRVIK thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RENAMED THREAD: The Korsfjord, and the official FLAKK-RØRVIK thread.

Follow the brand new M/F Korsfjord home to Norway

Dear family members,

As most of you may have realized, I have been away a lot lately. There is a reason and you shouldn't worry at all. The past two weeks, I've been doing my duty on board my present car ferry, the M/F Fosen.

The past two days, we've been at Bergen Fosen Yards at Kvithylla (the place out in the Trondheimsfjord where the World was built), to do some maintenance and to change a broken main mast.

Later this week, I will be away on a course for personnel on gas-driven vessels, it will take place in Trondheim this coming Friday.

Sunday, I will be away for an extra full day shift on board the car ferry Sogn: the last day Sogn will be a supplement ferry on the Flakk-Rørvik run this year. She will after Sunday and end of charter, sail south and go to shipyard for general maintenance.

Late Sunday night, and during the night to Monday morning, I will drive down to Molde. Monday morning, I will be on a meeting at Fjord1 MRF headquarters before I will join Korsfjord's sister ferry "Romsdalsfjord" for training and familiarization between Molde and Vestnes.

The following day, Tuesday evening, I will fly from Molde to Poland, via Oslo and Copenhagen, and join my new assignment, the M/F Korsfjord.

Flag change for Korsfjord happened on October 25th (yesterday) and Saturday next week, 6th of November, we will perform the christening ceremony in Gdansk, Poland.

Most likely on Sunday November 7th or on Monday November 8th, we will depart from Poland and start on the journey, the maiden voyage home to Norway.

You may also follow our AIS track here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

You will all be able to follow us here on CVF, as I will try to update my contacts along our routes. If anyone lives along the route, and wants an update by SMS, please let me know now: thinking especially about places such as Haugesund, Bergen, the west coast, Molde, Kristiansund and Trondheim. This will give you the exclusive opportunity to photograph my new ferry. I'd love to see photos taken from bridges along our route.

PS: My camera will OFF COURSE be with me on the whole journey home, and otherwise as much as I can during the final days before and after christening.

I don't think I need to let you all know that I'm proud, really proud to be going to Poland to be the Captain on the christening and her maiden voyage home.
    Last edited by pakarang; October 29th, 2010, 20:43. Reason: Thread no longer exclusive to CVF members: open for everyone's reading pleasure.

• pakarang
    replied
    Ah, OK. She may be in operational mode due to some other issue. I wasn't aware of that. It could very well have been a small sea-trial..... perhaps for her buyers?

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    She is moving again now. 21. Aug. the list of port calls was between Molde and Vestnes, but it may only have been a trail.
    She has been alongside again since 1500 hrs. that day.

• pakarang
    replied
    Do you mean Tresfjord?

I don't think she has been in use for the past 2-3 months now: she is stripped inside due to an "incident" on board. Korsfjord is doing the Molde-Vestnes as the D-ferry, I served on her for a day about two months ago.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    She is still on the Molde - Vestnes run at the moment though. (Together with Korsfjord)

• pakarang
    replied
    Thanks for that information Ralf.

Now I now where she will be sailing and that she will continue as a ferry.

I googled my way around and found that she will most likely be operated by Rømø-Sylt Linie GmbH & Co. I see they have some "similar-looking" ferries already in their fleet.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    I checked that and that is correct, she will be operating between Sylt and Römö in Denmark and offer more as the double capacity like before.
    That is very important, because the train connection via the dam will be blocked during November. Generally the increasing number of trucks, vans and lorries need the ferry, because they are also not allowed to use the train, which is only able to take standard cars on it's back. So that is a very popular place in Germany!

• pakarang
    replied
    I haven't shared these two images before, but this would be a suitable moment I think.

There are reports coming in that this beautiful ferry, the TRESFJORD, has been sold to Ralf-land Germany.

I didn't really know Germany would have a special route for a vessel / ferry of this kind.... but off course, she could be rebuilt to fit another role as well.

2017_08_04 Tresfjord - DJI_0229 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_08_04 Tresfjord - DJI_0231 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    As the "K" now operates under the command of another Captain, at another place in Norway, my memories of her haven't faded yet.

Here is an image I probably haven't shared yet, when she came back from her annual rejuvenation with a BLACK hull.

2018_11_01 Korsfjord is back as black-IMG_3183 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Tresfjord as seen from Munken on December 28th 2018...

2018_12_29 Tresfjord-IMG_3484 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_29 Tresfjord-IMG_3485 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    I never really stopped to think that the K was the ship on which you had served the longest - and that as captain too. That;s quite a thought, and for sure an emotional one.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    I guess it's still so fresh in my mind, but I do really miss my K....

Within time, I guess she will surely fade into history. But after all, the K has become the ship I have served the longest time on board, of any ships from my life.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    Here is the first of the new ferries that will be operating on the Hareide - Sulesund route:
    https://www.skipsrevyen.no/article/m...jCuMLFLePgKrsk

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    Glutra is temporary replacement for one of the two new ferries that will be used on the Hareide - Sulesund route. They will be delivered in the nearest few weeks.

• Sterkoder
    replied
    What I don't understand:
    GLUTRA was once specially designed and built to operate the Seivika-Tømmervåg stretch between Kristiansund and Tustna/Aure, a stretch that over the years has become one of the most used connections in this region besides the Kanestraum-Halsa stretch of course.
    Then, MRF (now Fjord1) won the battle to get the Flakk-Rørvik stretch and then they "stole" GLUTRA, added a few meters to her length and started to use her there.
    What we got in return between Seivika-Tømmervåg? Well, what do we usually end up with here in this part of the county? Near scrap: two former Flakk-Rørvik workhorses BJØRNSUND and NORDMØRE, the latter now changed with the just as old STORDAL. (All of them built in 1979, for crying out loud...., 40 years old this year!!!).
    Then Fjord1 loose the battle for Flakk-Rørvik and GLUTRA is again "free". But do we get her back to continue Seivika-Tømmervåg as her new capacity is much needed?
    Nope, of course not. She's "more" needed in the southern part of the county, where the Fjord1 is more "at home".
    Now, they say we will get brand new ferries to operate in my part of the county, the so called "Nordmørspakken"..., but for us who has lived a few years, and heard "breaking news" and fairytales from MRF/Fjord1 a few times before...., the "Nordmørspakken" is X-FILES for me (you don't belive it before you actually see it).
    Ooooo...., grumpy old man today, Mr. Sterkoder? YES!

Excuse me for emptying my gut over Fjord1 in this thread, but since GLUTRA came on the table...
    Last edited by Sterkoder; January 3rd, 2019, 13:49.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X