• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pakarang
    started a topic Norwegian Cruise Line and their Freestyle Cruising [NCL]

Norwegian Cruise Line and their Freestyle Cruising [NCL]

Norwegian Cruise Line and their Freestyle Cruising [NCL]

At our old forum board, we have an 8-page thread with news and details about Norwegian Cruise Line ( http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/...pic.php?t=1637 ) which I would like to continue on here.

I therefore open the thread at our new home with an image of the Norwegian Sun captured in Ushuaia recently:

• pakarang
    replied
    Norwegian Spirit inaugural call at Trondheim, Norway, June 17th 2019:

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by DS Lyngen View Post
    Ops, it must have been very embarrassing for Trondheim harbor and those responsible that this was not prepared well in advance of arrival.
    This should not happen at all, no good advertising for Trondheim harbor when such happens.

Great pictures from your drone, and "Serenissima" is so small compared to the cruise ship.
    Yes, indeed extremely embarrassing. Knowing how life on the bridge of cruise ship is, I bet the Captain expressed a couple of words not fit for the Internet.

Also, guest will have a negative impression of the port because they got their time reduced, and will rate the port low on their comment cards. Ports with bad ratings will fall far down on cruise lines future destinations.

And I totally agree, Serenissima is very small when compared to such a big ship, but once you are on board the Serenissima, she feels like the biggest ship in the/your world.

Thank you for your time checking out the images!

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    As DS Lyngen says, this is not merely embarrassing but also counter-productive to the efforts made to encourage more cruise calls to a city that has so much to offer visitors. It is all the more disappointing that this was Norwegian Spirit's maiden call in Trondheim.

Although I was away, I kept sneeking a peep at Marine Traffic which I had set up to check on Trondheim (where I would have loved to have been had I not been involved in an event in Glasgow). I was very puzzled by Norwegian Spirit's movements, until pakarang explained what had happened.

Your drone photos are totally awesome pakarang, and it is always special to get ships together in the same image. Looking at the 3rd one especially, I do hope some of Norwegian Spirit’'s guests out on their aft decks enjoyed their view of the beautiful little ship, and perhaps even took photos of her too!

I'm still not even sure exactly which quay Norwegian Spirit was supposed to be at, because the cruise calls listing on the harbour website seems to have changed and (over- efficiently!) doesn't display past days anymore.
    Extremely counter productive! No wonder we NEVER get visits (anymore) from cruise ships like those of Disney Cruise Line, Viking Ocean Cruises, Crystal Cruises, and many many many more. They are stopping by many ports around Trondheim, but for the most part sail straight by. Anyhow, the ships of AIDA loves Trondheim.

I'm sure Norwegian Spirit guests took pictures of the tiny ship behind them: a good Internet search could possibly reveal some of those?

I will add a couple more images so that you can see where she eventually got to berth for a few hours.

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    commented on 's reply
    Beautiful photos and I am glad you took us along on your cruise.

• Seagull
    replied
    As DS Lyngen says, this is not merely embarrassing but also counter-productive to the efforts made to encourage more cruise calls to a city that has so much to offer visitors. It is all the more disappointing that this was Norwegian Spirit's maiden call in Trondheim.

Although I was away, I kept sneeking a peep at Marine Traffic which I had set up to check on Trondheim (where I would have loved to have been had I not been involved in an event in Glasgow). I was very puzzled by Norwegian Spirit's movements, until pakarang explained what had happened.

Your drone photos are totally awesome pakarang, and it is always special to get ships together in the same image. Looking at the 3rd one especially, I do hope some of Norwegian Spirit’'s guests out on their aft decks enjoyed their view of the beautiful little ship, and perhaps even took photos of her too!

I'm still not even sure exactly which quay Norwegian Spirit was supposed to be at, because the cruise calls listing on the harbour website seems to have changed and (over- efficiently!) doesn't display past days anymore.

Leave a comment:

• DS Lyngen
    replied
    Ops, it must have been very embarrassing for Trondheim harbor and those responsible that this was not prepared well in advance of arrival.
    This should not happen at all, no good advertising for Trondheim harbor when such happens.

Great pictures from your drone, and "Serenissima" is so small compared to the cruise ship.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Inaugural call of Norwegian Spirit to Port of Trondheim, and extremely embarrassing, the quay and Yokohoama fenders were not ready at her arrival.

This forced the Spirit and her guests to wait for a little more than one hour before they could dock. That is embarrassing for a professional port! Inaugural call!

Norwegian Spirit and Serenissima:

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0109 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0119 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0132 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0135 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0143 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0147 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Those tenders are massive!

Glad you got to see the Getaway.... she was here in Norway too, but OFF COURSE not in Trondheim.

(PS: We had the Norwegian Spirit today in Trondheim!)

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    I haven't yet shown you a photo of Norwegian Getaway! This is because she was anchored too far to the east to be visible from Newhaven harbour.
    But after an excellent lunch we walked to Ocean Terminal and up to the east rooftop car park from where she could be seen beyond Leith port.

Norwegian Getaway is now back in Copenhagen at the end of her cruise.
    Norwegian Spirit will be in Edinburgh (Newhaven) on the 28th of June, the 23rd of July and the 18th of September.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

I was very struck by that capacity of 220 persons when used as a tender. The TOTAL number of guests on Serenissima is less than half of just one of Norwegian Getaway's tenders! Phew!

It is midday and the comings and goings have quietened down a bit. Time to head for the Loch Fyne fish restaurant which is located in the end right-hand side of the red-painted old fishmarket building seen in this photo.

It was at this point when, without the crowds, I could see that there seemed to be rather a lot of police type vehicles at the tender pier end of the quay.

Not only police cars but ambulances, a National Risk and Resilience Department vehicle, and an Incident Response Unit van.

...also Coastguard Search and Rescue.

Later I found that only two or three newspapers had reported an incident, stating that ambulance crews had rushed to the harbour after the alarm was raised at 09:30 that morning, and all quoting "a police spokesperson" more or less word for word - or perhaps quoting each other as they get the day of the week wrong.:-
    "Police in Edinburgh were made aware that a man in his twenties had passed away on board a ship on Sunday [probably Monday] 3 June. The ship docked in Newhaven Harbour on Monday [actually Tuesday] 4 June. The death is being treated as unexplained, but not suspicious, and a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.
    Whilst docked in Edinburgh, two people were taken into the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service in connection with medical matters which are believed to be unrelated to the man's death
    ."

I also saw some people disembarking from a separate tender with suitcases, as if leaving the cruise.
    I doubt that many of the cruise guests were aware of what had happened, although the various vehicles and ambulances remained in the vicinity, and I see that the ship left somewhat later than scheduled.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Looking across the Firth of Forth, here are two tenders paused waiting for the departing tender and Forth Belle in the previous photo to pass. They have to keep to the marked channel when approaching and leaving the harbour.

The colour of the stone work of the harbour wall again gives you an impression of the tidal range - at extremely low tides the harbour at Newhaven gets close to emptying.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Norwegian Getaway at Leith, Tuesday 4th June, 2019

"Aren't there any cruise ships at Leith that you’d like to see?" queried D a couple of days ago.
    I noted that he'd specifically mentioned the Leith/Newhaven area, not Queensferry/Rosyth in the opposite direction ...and that he'd been looking at the latest menus and lunch offers at his favourite restaurant at Newhaven harbour! I actually wasn't all that keen to spend so much time out, having just made a start in posting my cruise photos on the forum, but reluctantly acknowledged that Seven Seas Voyager would indeed be anchored off Leith and tendering to Newhaven on Monday.

However, taking a look at MarineTraffic on Monday morning, I was surprised to see that she was heading away from the Firth of Forth! It had turned out to be far too windy to operate the tenders! So, when the weather had improved by the following day, it was inevitable that we headed for Newhaven where the tendering ship of the day happened to be Norwegian Getaway.

There had been long delays on the bus due to a series of road works, closures and diversions, and I was pleased to see that special buses were operating to take cruise guests wishing to reach the city centre presumably by a direct and delay-avoiding route I have never seen Newhaven looking so busy. There were even buses to shuttle the short distance to Ocean Terminal and the Royal Yacht Britannia! All this was in addition to the ship's coach excursions of course. There was also a busy taxi rank and cars offering private sightseeing. A purple-jacketed welcome team answered questions and steered folk in the right directions. I always like to see locals with leaflets featuring the heritage of the fishing at Newhaven and a stroll around the immediate neighbourhood.

The tide was fairly low, and it is clearly evident what a big difference the dredging and purpose-built tender pier has made since 2017 - the larger cruise ships now using Newhaven harbour on a more frequent basis. There used to be slippy stone steps way back, sometimes in conjunction with the use of a temporary floating barge as pictured in these photos when Queen Victoria tendered here in 2014.

Norwegian Getaway has capacity for 3,969 guests. I lost count of the number of their tenders that were being used on this occasion, and in any case I arrived later than the early morning peak of disembarking for full day and morning excursions. The tourist boat Forth Belle was also being used.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    One of the original Norwegian Caribbean Lines "white ships" is now listed for sale at this website.... for a price of 12 million Euro.... I hope she will find a new owner SOON!

She is such a beautiful vessel.... I'd love to see her in Scandinavia as a cruise ship on regular sailings.

http://cruiseship.homestead.com/royal.html

classic cruise vessel for sale in greece

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    My boat (ship) is leaking.... Norwegian Breakaway caught in a "bomb cyclone" according to publisher on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-1QWWaRUZI

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    commented on 's reply
    What struck me in a rendering I saw online was that I hope the railings are strong enough to withstand a hit so that the carts don't go flying overboard. That would most likely put a damper on the rest of the cruise.
Working...
X