Norwegian Cruise Line and their Freestyle Cruising [NCL]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    It would be interesting to hear from other former cruise officers and the reason why THEY decided to not continue in this trade anymore.
    I agree with your reasons, Jan-Olav. Working for NCL was indeed my best time at sea, but I change, the world change, and of course it doesn't help how much you love your job, if there are bills at home to be paid

During my last year with NCL I felt that the Head Office changed their attitude towards norwegian officers. Compared to other nationalities we demanded too much. Well - maybe that's true, It was for sure an effective way to get rid of norwegians without firing anyone (at least for those reasons.. )

Comment

Check out this website, and the images of a former "white ship".... can't really say she looks that good anymore, especially with that new addition on her stern.

The Leisure World is her name now:

http://claytonshipping.com/passengerships.aspx
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I enjoyed three cruises with NCL, before they changed to Freestyle, Not a lover of the change and haven't heard many good reports. so i moved to Pacific Princess a smaller ship, loved it and to me its what cruising is all about. In May i am off to Alaska with Island Princess , under 2000 passengers, larger than Pacific Princess, but still a nice size of cruise ship. I will not go on anything larger than 2000. Looking forward to taking photos of the ship cruising Alaska.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

….and I’m looking forward to seeing them! Treats in store!

Comment

Originally posted by ostafjells View Post
            I agree with your reasons, Jan-Olav. Working for NCL was indeed my best time at sea, but I change, the world change, and of course it doesn't help how much you love your job, if there are bills at home to be paid

During my last year with NCL I felt that the Head Office changed their attitude towards norwegian officers. Compared to other nationalities we demanded too much. Well - maybe that's true, It was for sure an effective way to get rid of norwegians without firing anyone (at least for those reasons.. )
            I must add i loved the Norwegian crew, and thats why i cruised with NCL... Pity about the Freestyle and much bigger ships now. No longer a fan

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              ….and I’m looking forward to seeing them! Treats in store!
              Well hoping my camera doesn't freeze and this year there will be no strikes with BA ,, No volcanic dust and no fog in Jersey !!!!!! What a stress travelling when you really want to be somewhere. christine

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                What is the general opinion on this new ship?
                Slightly better than Norwegian Epic, but still a floating shopping mall with hotel facilities. (Or is it the other way around??)

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                  I enjoyed three cruises with NCL, before they changed to Freestyle, Not a lover of the change and haven't heard many good reports. so i moved to Pacific Princess a smaller ship, loved it and to me its what cruising is all about. In May i am off to Alaska with Island Princess , under 2000 passengers, larger than Pacific Princess, but still a nice size of cruise ship. I will not go on anything larger than 2000. Looking forward to taking photos of the ship cruising Alaska.
                  I am jealous and very curious to hear how you like the larger size of Island. I am dying to take another Alaska cruise aboard a smaller ship but they seem to be going the way of the dodo.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                    I am jealous and very curious to hear how you like the larger size of Island. I am dying to take another Alaska cruise aboard a smaller ship but they seem to be going the way of the dodo.
                    Holland America have ships about 1450 passengers going to Alaska this year, i was going to join my friends doing this, but the ship was too old and like the idea of Island Princess as its year is 2003. The very first cruise i did with NCL had about 1700 passengers and the ship was lovely, just a nice size.

Comment

Capt Jan-Olav, the former "white ship" used to be the NCL's Skyward. As the Skyward she was a fine looking ship and a member of NCL's Great White Fleet, sailing out of Miami. (Sunward II, Southward, Starward and Skyward). There was a Sunward I but if memory serves me correctly it went with Ted Arison when he and Knut Kloster came to a parting of the ways.
                      Now as to what the current owners did to make the ship look ugly as sin is beyond me. anyone have any thoughts as to the purpose of the addition to the stern please advise. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by G. of S. Florida View Post
                        .......anyone have any thoughts as to the purpose of the addition to the stern please advise. Thank you.
                        I've heard, though not confirmed, that those areas contains some additional gambling roooms, slot machines and card-tables...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

i have now added a helicopter trip over the glaciers and landing on an ice flow, as well as a catamaran trip to see the killer whales on my cruise to Alaska, going to get a new digital sim card for my camera, got to get some great shots on this trip. Anyone gone on holiday to Alaska in May ?

Comment

Star Cruises also now features hull painting:

Comment

Yes, I do like the new ship. An improvement on their last few designs, from the outside! Is it just me or do they look very tall. I guess because the upper decks don't look like they were added as an 'after thought'.
                              Also, I'm not a fan of these murals on the hull!!!!! I don't think they add to the recognition of the ship. it makes them look cheap.
                              Except on AIDA...I think it's funny!!!!!...not overly done.
                              Hello Kiki, I just read this thread so far. Has the quake/tsunami affected your trip? I hope everything works out for you. Also, I'm with you on the smaller ship thing, and Princess seems to have a great product.
                              Bill H.

Comment

hi Bill, I used to be a fan of NCL untill they went Freestyle. I think i am a bit old fashioned and like to dress up and eat in the main dining room at a table of eight, as its a nice way to get to know new people. Island princess is the biggest cruise ship i will be going on, with under 2'000 passengers. There has been no change to plans for Alaska, so fingers crossed. By the way you are not related in any way ? as surnames are the same. !!!!! kiki ( it may be a bit more than 2000 passengers )
                                Last edited by kiki42; March 26th, 2011, 17:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X