No announcement yet.

Ships & boats in Scottish waters: Year of 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the pictures of one of my favorite ships, the old R Two. Just last night I booked another trip on her sister ship, R Three.

Comment

great images Cecilia,always nice to see how the tugs do there jobs
      Last edited by janihudi; July 14th, 2010, 22:06.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks to Asimut for mentioning that Prince Albert II, which he photographed in Tromsø, was on her way to Leith. He even helpfully provided timing info, and so of course I had to take up the official photographer challenge!
        However the weather got worse again, and even if I had managed to get to Leith for 7am this morning I wouldn’t have been able to see as far as the harbour entrance in the fog!

There followed some hours of heavy rain, but I didn’t allow that to put me off, and so here –in the best summer weather the day had to offer –are some photos for your enjoyment.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Finally a couple of more unusual angles, taken from the Royal Yacht Britannia:

Comment

Comment

Finally a couple of more unusual angles, taken from the Royal Yacht Britannia:
                      Are you a member of the court? (Or the crew?). Or are you acquanted with the Queen?
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---
                      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                        Are you a member of the court? (Or the crew?). Or are you acquanted with the Queen?
                        and if you do so Cecilia, or sould i say, your majesty, tell her to take a paintbrush ,her yacht is rusting.
                        the beginning or the end
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                          Simply a holder of an Annual Pass, which gives unlimited visits that year for the cost of one visit, provided the visitor is a UK taxpayer and submits details under the “Gift Aid” scheme.
                          This means that because Britannia is now a museum ship is run by a charity, they are able to reclaim the tax component of the admission fee back from the authorities. This is an important source of revenue for many such visitor attractions, museums, historic buildings, the zoo etc.

I have noticed more people with these passes since the tea room was opened on board the ship. Locals who have done the ship tour previously like to just go on board for refreshments, served in a bit more traditional old-fashioned way than in the cafes at Ocean Terminal.

For me the great advantage of the pass is that I can just visit briefly to take a photo of cruise ships in the harbour. Being just those few all important metres further out from the quay means that one can take photos such as #67 above of ships moored at right angles to Britannia. This avoids the problem with the terrace at Ocean Terminal, from where the interesting superstructure of a cruise ship is seen against the confusing background of the tall gleaming white building and silos of the flour mill (though of course you will have noticed that I have also discovered another spotterplace from where to take those “pakarang views from above” shots!)

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                            .... or sould i say, your majesty....
                            Nice one . . . but note it is the other Lady Commodore of our forum who has a crown in her avatar!!!!!!!!!
                            Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                            .... take a paintbrush ,her yacht is rusting....
                            I had noticed that a lick of paint was overdue, janihudi – I think a reason may be that they have been extremely busy recently getting an additional exhibit set up – the yacht Bloodhound

Comment

Wonderful images, despite the somewhat depressing rain.

Lots of great detail, the first image is my favorite.

PS: Lady C is a Lady, and being a "Lady" is somewhat a Royal-like title....
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                                ....PS: Lady C is a Lady, and being a "Lady" is somewhat a Royal-like title....
                                Me . . . . Lady . . . . proper . . . . polite . . . . ?????
                                But well, who am I to contradict our Captain who is so experienced in such matters!

Comment

Working...
                                X