Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought you were supposed to be on the sofa, keeping your knee up, Big S.....

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
      I thought you were supposed to be on the sofa, keeping your knee up, Big S.....
      Some very good old friends invited me for dinner and a party at First Hotel Atlantica in Ålesund Saturday night......, I could not say no, and I figured 3,5 hours in a car seat and and sitting in a sofa at a hotel couldn't kill my knee.
      But I admit..., walking along the docks to take these pictures was perhaps too much...
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

A real fishing vessel!!

Yes one of those Sterkoder boats that Russians did not want. Now called Amaltal Atlantis. I was onboard when this photo was taken. I also went to Kristiansund to pick up Amaltal Columbia to bring her here to New Zealand. If you want any more photo's of Fishing vessels here In New Zealand then let me know. There are a few Norwegian built vessels here.
        Last edited by Kiwi Sailor; October 26th, 2009, 22:12. Reason: photo not working

Comment

Hello there, 'Kiwi Sailor' and welcome so much to this CaptainsVoyage (CV) family!!!
          Yes, that's correct. Remember "Amaltal Atlantis" when she was delivered from Sterkoder Shipyard as Yardnr. 126 in June 1991 as "Admiral Zavoiko".
          "Amaltal Colombia" was Yardnr. 136 from February 1992.

As for more pictures from NZ, I could be interested in the norwegian built vessels you mention.
          I myself have a special interest in images of Sterkoder-built vessels, not only fishing vessels, but any yardnr.
          I know Sterkoder didn't deliver many ships to NZ, and in fact I belive yardnr. 136 was the one, but there might be that such a vessel visit NZ owned by a different company..., what do I know.

And finally, could you make your images about 800 x 600 pixels when loading into a post...? A bit easier to see you know

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Sailor View Post
            Yes one of those Sterkoder boats that Russians did not want. Now called Amaltal Atlantis. I was onboard when this photo was taken. I also went to Kristiansund to pick up Amaltal Columbia to bring her here to New Zealand. If you want any more photo's of Fishing vessels here In New Zealand then let me know. There are a few Norwegian built vessels here.
            Welcome to this forum Kiwi sailor and please post pics of any fishing vessel or any other subject you feel like.

I would be especially interested in pics of a Long Liner by the name of "Janas" (ex KAPITAN KARTASHOV(?)), for which I handled take over from the Sheriff in Pusan, Korea, delivery voyage to Singapore and handing over to NZ Owner/Operator Sealord some years back.
            I believe her sister ship is also in NZ ownership.

Both were built in Norway for Russian account. Originally operated off Alaska for American Seafood Inc. on US license, but was arrested in Pusan for lack of funds to pay their bills.

I also supplied Indonesian Production Crew to the Norwegian Trawlers that operated out of NZ in the early 1990s, fish for Orange Roughy and Hoki.
            Last edited by ombugge; October 27th, 2009, 09:41. Reason: Correction of name

Comment

I would be interested in pictures of New Zealand fishing boats. I am always curious how fishing is done differently around the world.

Comment

Welcome Kiwi Sailor!!! Great Avatar!!!!!! Wheeeee!!!

Comment

"Sanco Spirit" in Kristiansund this great Wednesday afternoon. Here she's at the fuelfacility of Shell, topping her tanks before sailing to her ops waters of somewhere down in Africa...., I guess it was...

"Aquafish Senior" about to dock at HydroTech fishfactory. The seagull just came into my frame as I pushed the camera trigger....

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    Ålesund today 25th October 2009 at around noon.
                    "LOS 097"
                    Los 097 ran aground today:

http://www.kystverket.no/?did=9965189
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Those "Gjeslingene" outside Mandal are indeed dangerous and spooky

I have been on them myself. But only with a 7 meter long "puff-puff-boat". No other damage than a broken mirror.

But watch out for those Gjeslingene. By the way, you find them on the chart

Comment

For those that can receive the BBC4 TV channel, a program as just started called "The Golden Age Of Liners" I have not seen it before, but could be interesting.

EDIT: WHOOPS, sorry for posting this in this thread. My only excuse is that i was rushing so as not to miss the start of the program.

Captain, please delete this post!
                        Last edited by Steve.B; October 30th, 2009, 03:03.
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Los 097 ran aground today:
                          Here's a picture taken by the crew of NSSR vessel "Ægir".
                          The stern of "LOS 097" was under water, and the situation was rather serious, according to the NSSR crew.
                          Nevertheless, it seems like the crew of the LOS-vessel had time to relax and have a good cup of coffee....., or is that coffee mug on the roof there used for something else....

Comment

That's a rather dramatic shot. Was the vessel saved? I am presuming that the pipe we can see is connected to a small salvage pump, me thinks they need a much bigger pump and pipe!

Maybe the coffee jug was was used in the bailing effort?
                            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The vessel was salvaged and they managed to tow it to a shipyard where the "LOS 097" now stands on dry land.

This link from the NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting Corp.) has a video where we can see the damages, so just push the arrow on the video 'NRK Nett-tv'.
                              (The NRK server might want to check your bandwidth before it starts).

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/sorlandet/1.6839518

The salvage crew on board NSSR vessel "Ægir" are critically commentating the incident, as it is very serious that a los (Pilot) vessel runs full speed up on a marked rock....., and I tend to agree on that

Comment

Thank you for that link Sterkoder. WOW, big damage! When i saw her sitting with the stern under water i presumed that she had been holed somewhere at the stern and that water tight compartments where keeping her afloat. But seeing her out of the water tells a different story. Obviously no completely water tight compartment between where the damage was and the stern of the boat. Looks like they were lucky to get back without her going down.

I used to maintain our local pilot boat, she had a totally sealed bulkhead about midships, so if she had suffered that damage she would have gone down by the head rather than the stern.

But like you say, not good to have a local pilot running straight into a charted rock! Complacency i should image - done that route a thousand times, not paying too much attention, maybe mobile phone rings, then.......whack!

Comment

Working...
                                X