X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best regards Thijs

Comment

''hellespoint progress'' entering the Berendrecht locks.(but didn't wait for that)

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

What is the purpose/advantage of the "bulb" on some ships' bows below the waterline? I've a feeling there was a discussion about this on some thread a few years ago, but I can't remember where or what the conclusion was.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

if i explaine this well,by the shape of the bulb the water ''streams'' on a beter way around the vessel, which rsult in less waves and a lower resistance,so less fuel use.
                but Ombugge can explane this better .
                best regards Thijs

Comment

That does fine, Thijs. Now you've told me it's obvious. I'll try and remember this time, many thanks.
                  Ivy

Comment

I'm sure Ombugge years ago posted a good description of how a bulb works but I can not find it. The way I've always thought of the bulb is that it keeps the ship from having to continuously climb uphill on it's own bow wave. Without a bulb the bow of the ship creates a wave of water pushed up in front so the ship must always climb uphill. The bulb protrudes forward of the bow and creates a wave ahead of the ship. The trough of the bulb's wave coincides with the peak of the main hull's wave so the two waves cancel each other out. The ship is no longer trying to climb up such a big bow wave.

As someone who lives far inland I enjoy watching ships pass. I find it very interesting how the water rises up in front and flows around and under the hull. Probably very stupid to someone who's life has been at sea but to me it is an amazing bit of science. When I go to the coast of NC on the Intracoastal Waterway (a canal in many places) I notice how the water recedes from the shore as boats pass. I find it magical how a boat way over there can affect the water so far away.

Comment

Dane, that's very interesting and neatly amplifies what Thijs said. In fact, later last evening I was thinking about that and suddenly thought - ah, but wouldn't that bulb create more resistance to the water than the clean, sharp bow of older ships and so need more power to overcome that? But your illustration of the bulb/bow waves and their interaction satisfies my quibble! Many thanks.
                      I find it very interesting how the water rises up in front and flows around and under the hull. Probably very stupid to someone who's life has been at sea but to me it is an amazing bit of science. When I go to the coast of NC on the Intracoastal Waterway (a canal in many places) I notice how the water recedes from the shore as boats pass. I find it magical how a boat way over there can affect the water so far away.
                      I understand that. Living here, although only 15 miles from the coast, there isn't the opportunity to watch anything very big passing Lowestoft. That town was a busy fishing port years ago and the harbour was big enough only for trawlers. Gorleston, a few miles further north, is the river outlet for ships leaving Gt. Yarmouth and would be a better bet for seeing freighters. But I have stood at the end of Lowestoft pier and watched little boats swinging in to the harbour, fascinated by the way they manoevre through the narrow entrance, especially in wild weather when the troughs between waves is steep against the entrance wall. The power of that water!
                      Yes, when the sea is not your profession perhaps there is time to stand and wonder at the magic of the interaction of man and water. But then water fascinates me, from my tiny garden pond, through rivers to the sea. All my life I've felt the need to be near it. I don't necessarily need to see it all the time, but just to know it's there!
                      Ivy

Comment

No idea where to put this, but this is cool...

https://vimeo.com/88297456
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

''peary spirit'' inbound for Rotterdam,with a nice wave for here bow Dane.

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X