Clear All

that one did work,a second one.

best regards Thijs

Comment

One more for Shipspotting.
      Geographical Research Vessel "Hydrograf" in Aalesund today:

Comment

For the Fishing Vessel thread:

Lots of Fishing vessels actually using the "Fishing Pier" in Aalesund, now that the last Cruise ship for the season has left:

A couple of new and big ones as well:

Comment

For the Cruise Ships in Norway thread:

Not the last of the season, but close. Norwegian Star in Aalesund 22. Sept. 2013:

I presume the stars painted all over her sides does make sense here.

Comment

For the Fishing boat thread:

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            Here is the Krill Trawler Juvel seen in the Southern Ocean:

They are eventually starting to make a profit this year. One more Trawler is in the planning for the same Owner.

I was involved in a project to build and operate a krill trawler back in 1988-89, but we were too early by about 18-20 years.
            I still keep the drawing and project papers though, if anybody is interested.
            I posted the above a few days ago. Today there came a program on the Asia Food Channel about Krill Fisheries in the Southern Ocean and a visit on board a Krill Trawler called Saga Sea, owned and operated by Aker Biomarine, which is again owned by one of the investors we tried to get along back then.

Here is a link to the part of the 45 min. program that has the visit on board the Saga Sea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOC2P...V213-vwGIUN0hs
            The other 3 parts is also obtainable on YouTube for those who are specially interested.

What struck me is that the projecthas nearly all the technical solutions and the product range that we were looking at then we put together back 25 years ago:
            Krill Meal for Aquaculture feed as the main products, but with Krill Oil for Pharmaceutical industries as a bi-product.
            Frozen Krill for the Processed Food industry and peeled and frozen Krill for human consumption was also in the planning.
            Even the shells left from the peeling would also be processed for use in the Cosmetic industry. Nothing wasted.

The method of pumping the catch directly from the Cod End of the trawl net to the receiver tanks on board was part of our design and it was not a new idea. Russians already had the idea before us, but I'm not sure if it had actually been done yet then.

Bring back a lot of memories of an interesting time, with a lot of challenges. Unfortunately we never managed to top finance the project.
            ​We could get 100% finances for building the Trawler, incl. the factory machinery and even the fishing gear, but we could not get anybody to finance the first 6 months of operation, which was what it would take before the first income would be in the bank.

Comment

For Marine Operations thread:
              Anchor handling in good weather: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXTFKQ-EFyQ

Comment

I'm wondering if that's a Norhaven yacht in the foreground of post #4. Might make a nice CV yacht. Not enough room for everyone at once but be we could take turns.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                  I'm wondering if that's a Norhaven yacht in the foreground of post #4. Might make a nice CV yacht. Not enough room for everyone at once but be we could take turns.
                  I think it is this one: http://www.skipsrevyen.no/batomtaler...-2006/383.html
                  Used as HSC ferry on the route Aalesund - Langevaag in the off season and off peak hours.

Otherwise making daily trips to Geiranger, Runde and Ona with tourists during the season.

Available for cruises on the fjords around Aalesund year around: http://www.62.no/no/aktiviteter/batturer

She has featured in the Aalesund and HSC threads before.

Comment

for the general thread.

''ekfors'' outwarths of Rotterdam.

best regards Thijs

Comment

for the general thread.

''ekfors'' outwarths of Rotterdam.

best regards Thijs

Comment

''cape canary'' into Rotterdam port.

best regards Thijs

Comment