Kind of sad times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of sad times

Now, THAT'S a headline, isn't it? Sad times....
    Well, don't know about any one else, but looking at the activity over the last days, weeks or months, for that matter, I'm getting sad watching how many we are in here who are active.
    I can count us all on one hand..., even with my thumb broken.
    Is this all we can come up with, is this all there is with CVF?
    There must be hard work and costs behind the scenes that we ordinary users don't think about, and for how long can this forum stay alive if we don't use it?
    Why do I (dare to) speak up like this?
    Well, partially because CVF has been a part of my life for God knows how many years..., 12-15 maybe, and how many people have I met in real life from CVF? Many!
    And as many has stated before, CVF is like a family..., but then I say; we have to use the forum more!
    Anyway, I want to say a big thank you to Jan-Olav and Mark as admins, and if it ever was an Oscar for internet forums, you two would get one each!!!!!
    Come on folks, it's not Facebook that keeps us together, it's CVF!

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

My statistic of this weekend is shattering:

3 posts by 2 CV members during the weekend in the forum.
    29 posts by 11 CV members + uncounted comments in FB.
    No Captain's visit since December 2019.
    No Seagulls in here since April 2020.

That is really sad, since just the forum is able to record complete travels with comments... FB is just a short glance, Instagram is just showing pictures, like Flickr and similars.
    We will loose this platform, that is a pity.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      If members won't bother anymore to reply or comment on others post's than a forum is already dead.
      Of a member tasjes time for a trip making images edit them ,placing them,telling the story at it, but no comment or reply of all those " members " what s worth dooing it.
      A forum is talking about ,showing things ,making jokes etcetcetc, but it seems already to much to reply .
      Years back we talked about everything,showing everything and had hours of fun.
      That fun is already years back gone.

Also my thought is that the owner of a forum had to be there almost always.
      If he staps away of it, the forum is at his end .
      He / they are the glue of it.
      Had seen this at modelbuilders forums too, when they staped out, the forum is over.

• wherrygirl
      wherrygirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Ralf, Seagull visited early April but has not posted since !7 November last.

Now just you listen, Sterkie, my lad.
    A few months ago you raised a similar plea. I had a think, and decided to write about my visit to the USSR in 1984. I warned members that it would not be a travelogue in the usual way because I had taken no camera with me so had no photos to show of where I had been, things I had seen, etc. Nor would it be a succession of dry descriptions of buildings I had visited. It would not be that kind of tale. But I hoped that my account would be of interest. So it has apparently been to just a very few of my friends.
    And Sterkie? %$£%&**^$$ Damn all from him. Not a dic.kie bird. (Look it up, without the full stop to outwit the censor! ). In the old days, I don't remember him commenting on any of the many things I posted, but so what? But I started my USSR piece in response.to what he had been sad about. I am in the middle of the next chapter, but he'll NEVER know.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Quote: "And Sterkie? %$£%&**^$$ Damn all from him".

Perhaps I misunderstand something, but is this all I get from all my years in here, spending time at CVF?

In that case; bye-bye...
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Please calm down both of you. There is no reason offending each other using such terms and phrases.

1. Don't expect comments from a certain person, if you don't ask for it. There might be different interests. Me for example does not comment in a Navy-thread.
        2. Please be polite and honour a huge engagement for keeping the forum alive, even it is not your favourite topic. In that case i even could comment in a Navy-thread.
        3. Please use the Private-Message-function in the member list. It is so much easier to ask someone directly, if there could be a misunderstanding.

As far as i know, you never met personally, but i did meet both of you. And i think you would understand each other brilliantly talking face to face.
        And we do all know, that the lady has a loose frying pan. So we should not be shocked so much.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ralf and Svein, when I say "Sterkie" it's usually when I'm half teasing, normally I'd just say Svein. As to the %$£%&**^$$, that's more or less a version of the frying pan, while "damn all" is, I agree, probably better when said face to face so that facial expressions can be read at the same time, because it depends on the circumstances.

Svein, you had been very interested in Yves' great account of his recent trip to Russia, saying how good it was to have such an account from a private traveller. You had mentioned that although you knew a great deal about the USA, you had less knowledge of Russia. I immediately thought of my trip back in the Communist ruled days and wondered whether, if I wrote about it, members, and you in particular, might find it amusing reading.

That was why I did it, Ralf..
          But I was surprised and, yes, very hurt that Svein never followed it up.
          Come on, Svein old lad, whatever I come up with. it has little importance to our forum and is no cause for you to disappear.
          Ivy

Comment

Dear Ivy, I don't know for anyone else, but for me your Russian tale is a great story wrote in a personal style made of great sense of observation and humour. I'm waiting for the new chapter. Hope you will not be prisoner in the Loubianka. Even though it could be an interesting scenario. Anyway it will be nice to read you.

Comment

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Yves.

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
            Please calm down both of you. There is no reason offending each other using such terms and phrases.

So we should not be shocked so much.
            Ralf, there is something I wanted to say in response to your remark. But more important to me was completing the piece of the Three Cities that I was writing at the tme.

You say "using such terms and phrases". If you are referring to my saying "damn all" then I assure you that there is nothing "shocking" in that.
            Your English is excellent, Ralf, as is that of the other members. But do you know what those two words as used together actually mean? They are an ordinary English idiom which simply means "nothing at all". e.g. “He promised to help them with the task, but in the end he did damn all." In other words he did nothing at all.
            Idioms of one language do not easily translate into another, and the literal translation of the words taken separately is not at all what the idiom means, facts of which I am sure you are well aware.
            I don't often have need to use the expression, but here is an example of how I could have done recently. Back in the nineties I started a poetry group in Bungay, ran it for 19 years and then stepped down. Because of the present lock-down they cancelled meetings but started using email to post their work for discussion. They had kept me in the loop so I always knew what was going on and thought it would be fun to join in and post some of my older poems that few of the present members would ever have seen. Two people were unable to read my attached poem and thought I was using an unreadable font. It turned out that they had Macs., not a Windows PC/laptop. Now I could have said that I knew damn all about Macs., which is quite true. I used one once in a local set-up in Bungay, but that was with help and I no longer have any idea as to the word processing. I have to assume that whatever kind of application a Mac uses it has a different selection of fonts from Windows.
            If it was my idiom that offended you then I trust that you now understand.

Ivy

Comment

• Ralf__
              Ralf__ commented
              Editing a comment
              "Your English is excellent, Ralf, as is that of the other members."

Thank you, and that is mainly because of our practise here in CV with you, E., Lady C. Polo and others. So we are learning more and more each day by our correspondance with native speakers I am very thankful for your explanations because, yes, i did not know that meaning of "damn all". But irony and sarkasm is very hard to unterstand, even more in written form. So that is something we have to be very careful with. And the fact is, that our dear Svein has not been logged in since four days. So he seems to be really offended and we can just hope, that he is reading all this. Because in the end, the last we want is, that we loose one of our dearest and most active buddies by such a misunderstanding, do we??

[
            [/QUOTE]
            "Your English is excellent, , as is that of the other members."

Yes I does.

Comment

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Good on yer, matey.
          Working...
          X