Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PoloUK
    replied
    Version 5.3.3 became available in the past few days. I'll update the test site and then give it a few days/weeks to see what happens. If it looks stable then I'll update CVF too. Not rushing into anything though!!

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    After travelling some weeks and working in the Youth camp again i am back in the office this week for a normal day rhythm. I tried to catch up all i had missed and want to congratulate for your great job. I will have to try everything during the next weeks so to post pictures and so on, but up to now this is all very promising and back to old speed. That is a pure delight!! Great!

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    commented on 's reply
    Really don't know the answer to that one.

• wherrygirl
    replied
    225 bots?
    The version before last (I think!) used to differentiate between humans and search engines, but the previous version to this one stopped doing that.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Yes, it would be nice to learn more about the "guests" we have a lot of - but then again, I have noticed that CaptainsVoyage Forum ranks really high on goggle searches.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    commented on 's reply
    I wish we could learn more about our 'guests'. It would be fascinating to see who else is looking at our world - interesting that it's roughly the same number most of the time. Glad that the favicon has now appeared for you.

• wherrygirl
    replied
    The Most Users Ever on LIne seems to be working well now - been keeping an eye on it.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    commented on 's reply
    Success! I have little ship favicon. I tried several times last night then just now again, all to no avail. It doesn't seem to know what's in the cache as when all my tabs had loaded but before I had done anything else I went to have a look. It first said 100 + Mb, I cleared that then it offered several other amounts until at last it was down to the 8Kb and the icon.
    Phew, what a palaver.

• PoloUK
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for checking Ivy - I think it's probably in 'picking on Ivy' mode. The caches can go into the 100KB or even more.

Keep trying - talk soon.

• wherrygirl
    commented on 's reply
    OK. Checked cache on Firefox and it said 37 Kb. Yes, Kb. I clicked on Clear Cached Web Content and it went down to 8 Kb. Doesn't seem to want to clear that.
    Still no favicon.
    I can't seem to find anything on IE.

• PoloUK
    commented on 's reply
    Hello!

Re the background picture - it was more the concept than the photo that I was suggesting. I was assuming that we'd use one of J-O's brilliant photos. We don't have to have a full page background of course, we could just fill the header section between (and behind) the logo and search box. Interestingly (ish) because the site is 'responsive' it flexes to fit the screen it's being displayed on. That means completely different bits of Lofoten hide - or are shown - on my desktop, work laptop and home laptop, so unless we use a header image, it will be different for people anyway.

Favicon - without being personal I think your cache needs cleaning! The internet browsers (and in fact the internet!) works at a bearable speed by collecting, or caching, lumps of data that it doesn't think are going to change, so that it doesn't need to download them every time. One of those will be the Favicon, so Firefox on that PC can't be bothered to find the new logo. It thinks it's doing you a favour 'cos it thinks that all of us want to live our lives at the speed of light. However, in this case it means you'll get vBulletin advertising themselves in your tabs until it eventually gets bored and loads the new one again. The little ship appears in Firefox on my PC.

Remember - Firefox cache cleaning can be done by clicking on the settings (three little lines in the top right hand corner), options, advanced, network, cached web content - clear now.

Hope that makes sense - thanks for the feedback though, it really helps because there are so many combinations of PCs/Macs, Operating systems, browsers and screens out there, however many times we look at things it won't be the same as many others will see.

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Mark, a couple of points I'm wondering about:
    1) Is the snow on the mountains a bit too distracting? You have to delineate the mountains, I agree, but perhaps just variation in the blues and a bit of green here and there may do that? The logo doesn't stand out so well any more, either, though It could of course be set on a white disc or box background if the snow weren't there to compete. The lovely picture attracts immediately but then the eye has to look for the logo rather than seeing it as an integral part of the banner. The visitor may well go straight into the page, anyway.
    2) I keep getting annoyed that the lower part of the ship is cut off. Then I think that the overlap is a good idea in theory, then I revert to first thought. Maybe it is because the image of the vessel stands out as the major part of the picture and the heart of the forum's origin - even though there are so many other topics within - and I want to see the whole of it.

That favicon.
    On this laptop, Vista with Firefox, the favicon on the tab right at the top of the page remains unchanged - a sort of tick with a short stroke at the beginning. Nothing else. On IE9 there is only the search engine's own favicon. With the netbook XP with IE8: there is a toolbar with a few things on it and the new ship icon against the title of the forum page, while Firefox has much the same, in two places actually.

I'll get a new laptop one day, then will probably find that I'm seeing things quite differently!

But overall, I think the whole idea of the picture is really good.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    A-ha, we have oomph! I like the idea very much, as it invites one in to the forum, making an announcement.
    I have reservations on one or two details but cannot stop now. Will post again later today.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    It kind of "set's the tone" for what the forum MAY contain once you sign up, log in and start looking around.

Tommi's point of view is also valid - I think it's important to find just the "perfect" background image which doesn't distract too much but still sparks some interest and curiosity.

Leave a comment:

• Linray
    replied
    I like that!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X