Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important message: Forum upgrade in progress.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important message: Forum upgrade in progress.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE: FORUM UPGRADE IN PROGRESS.

Please note that CAPTAINSVOYAGE FORUM will within the next day or so be upgraded from it's current version to version 4.0.7.

This will include numerous safety enhancements, improvements in stability and a lot more new options for users and Administrator.

Once the forum has completed UPGRADING, all members will be notified.

We do apologize that the forum might be closed during such time, but hope we can ask for your forgiveness once the upgrade has been completed.
    With kind regards,

Jan-Olav Storli
    Administrator and Owner CaptainsVoyage Forum / CaptainsVoyage.com

Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/

The CaptainsVoyage Forum reopens after nothing less than a MASSIVE upgrade today at 11:00 hours Copenhagen time.

As you may notice, the style and look of the forum have drastically been changed.

Before anything else is said, this is NOT the final look and format of the forum as fine tuning and adjustments will be done at a later point in time. The reason behind reopening the forum right now is that it has taken way too much time over the past few days and a rest is needed.

Welcome on board to new and old family members.
    With kind regards,

Jan-Olav Storli
    Administrator and Owner CaptainsVoyage Forum / CaptainsVoyage.com

Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/

Comment

A great job has been done, thank you to all involved.

Comment

Hoorah!!!!!!!!

Oh, Jan-Olav, well done. The withdrawal sypmtons were just dreadful, something very dear was missing from my morning. Just you now have a well deserved rest, but not too long before you start posting again - as we all will. Can't stop now, but will explore everything shortly to make sure it's all there!

PS.
        Couldn't resist it - I had to stop and have a quick look round. I like the clean, modern look that our Forum has now acquired, and everything does seem to be there still! The only minor thing is that it is more difficult to distinguish between the smileys.
        Last edited by wherrygirl; October 7th, 2010, 12:17.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Difficult job to do, well done

Comment

Great to see the modern new look of the forum Jan-Olav, how you have managed to find the time to do this in your already busy schedule is beyond me. First impressions are very good. The 'reply to thread' window looks especially good, very clear and easy to understand.

Thank you for all the hard work you have put into this major change, and congratulations, you done good!
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Great Job. It will take some time to check out the new features! Up to now i am not happy with the smileys. Don't know yet how to use them and they don't look good. Perhaps someone has some clearer graphs we could include here???
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Captain, you’ve been absolutely wonderful coping with this mammoth task.
                Knowing you, I know you’ll want to make the last final details just perfect, but for now just sit back and give yourself a well-earned rest for a while (and, if a pm I sent you on Monday 4th has survived the upgrade, that has news which should give you a really feel-good glow.)

Big Thank You.

Comment

Fantastic upgrade. Everything seems to work properly.
                  I agree with Ralf. The smileys looks a bit palish - but that is a mere detail.
                  Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Sleek, sophisticated...well, downright PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Great, Jan-Olav!!!!
                      What more is there to say, other than it's like a home; it need a little "brushing up" every now and then

I've just been in this "new" home for a few minutes, and the only thing I kind of want to comment so far, is to add my comment to what's been said about the smilies.
                      (Difficult to see for an "old" nearsighted man, and I haven't found out where to find more smily options..., if there are any).
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

It will probably take a few days to get used to the new layout, but I'll find my way around sooner or later. Looks good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                          It will probably take a few days to get used to the new layout, but I'll find my way around sooner or later. Looks good so far.
                          Tend to agree with you there, 'ombugge'....., despite what I wrote one hour ago.
                          One small detail I've discovered when posting now, is that when I click 'Reply to Thread' I automatically get directed to a Quick Reply.
                          I would much rather be directed to the "old" wirting pad, where we now have to click 'Go Advanced' to get to.
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            One small detail I've discovered when posting now, is that when I click 'Reply to Thread' I automatically get directed to a Quick Reply. I would much rather be directed to the "old" wirting pad, where we now have to click 'Go Advanced' to get to.
                            Dear all,

Thank you all so much for all your patience and understanding so far.

This was a well overdue job: much because of the massive work to perform the whole and because I wanted to ensure that everything went well: no loss of information, no errors and no other unknown problems during the upgrade.

I had kept postponing the upgrade, but if not now, it might have been pushed too far into the future. As you all know and appreciate, this is a task I do not want to do again (in the near future).

As mentioned, there will be some additional changes to the colors chosen and the lay out, but those are more of the aesthetic kind, e.g. colors of frames and backgrounds, and some rewording of certain phrases.

If anyone knows of anyone which is very well versed in php/MySQL and CSS programming, please do let me know. I can find out myself, but I feel I have already spent too much time with this now, and I'm looking for the shorter way of asking for help.

I think I will now try to compile a wish list of items for all of us, and if you have something that you'd like to add, please let me know. So far, these points are on the list:

* new and additional smilies.

* a compatibility issue for old MAC-platforms.

* when placing a reply, take the user directly to the usual "advanced" pane we are used to.

* create a CVF .ico file for the address bar.

* brighter color on the icon legend for "new posts"

Once again, thank you for your patience and I'm really sorry for all the withdrawal issues you all will have been put through.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Is there a new maximum width for photos? I was just looking at some of Asimut’s in the Tromsø thread which I’m sure used to be bigger than they appear now, and I was wondering if they had been automatically resized.

Comment

Working...
                              X