Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagull
    started a topic Seagull away a while . . .

Seagull away a while . . .

Just to say I will be away until 12 September, aboard Fram in Greenland. I hope BTNO fix the webcams soon (they say they are working on the problem) so that you can follow my voyage, but if not perhaps the expedition crew will update their blog frequently.
    I will then only have one week back home, scarcely time to catch up on what you have all been doing, before I go down to England for a week for yet another conference – so you will for sure have a nice quiet rest from the squawking seagull for a while!!

Goodbye presents to be found on the threads Norfolkline Rosyth / Zeebrugge and on the Cruiseships in Scottish Waters pages.

• Seagull
    replied
    So I'm back in Edinburgh, and busy with all the things that have to be done after being away, which as you know will take me at least another week!
    This afternoon I shall catch up with watching recordings of the Formula 1 race I missed while away in Thailand.

Yeapp I know, you are all surely thinking that I should preferably be getting back to the trip report from the May cruise, or even a few photos in the Lady C's Thailand thread!

But, as you also know, it takes the length of a trip to get ready before a trip, which means a continuous period of 'Seagull Away a While' before I fly off to Abu Dhabi for the last race of the season!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    You are so right about 'special' pakarang ....exceptional even though Thailand has kept on rewarding me with 'special' time and time again. I am truly blest indeed.

You and I are quite a team challenge at the moment for folks trying to keep up with our travels! Glad you are getting back, but hey, even YOU need a tiny bit of slumber and rest occasionally! Perhaps on the flight (as long as there is nothing to see out of the window!)

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    Just to say that I'll be away for the next two weeks, (plus the usual catching up days afterwards!)
    Welcome home, and thank you for sharing trinkets of your journey with me and others... you have been on a very special journey, and having seen the rehearsal of the Royal Barges, you have witnessed history in the making too.

I'm on my way back to Thailand on Friday morning again - right off night watch. No time to slumber, no time for rest.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Just to say that I'll be away for the next two weeks, (plus the usual catching up days afterwards!)

Leave a comment:

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    I have recently joined a few Facebook groups, one of which is an extremely active online club in its own right. I hate to say it but these Groups seem to be rapidly taking over from traditional bulletin board forums despite being a completely chaotic nightmare to navigate. That said, many long-running BBs still exist and some, like CV, are very precious places full of old friends and great memories.

• pakarang
    replied
    TA-DAAA indeed Captain! And consider yourself the absolutely star prizewinner for keeping up with me throughout Serenissima'’s voyage!
    Just for the record in case anyone else is reading this, it wasn'’t only via FB, but also on Instagram. Actually it was with you and your current posting habits in mind that I made a special effort to post different photos of each day on the two social media sites. Thank you so very much for following me.

I do enjoy Instagram more than FB, but the FB 'Check-in places' database now in common for both sites is an absolute mess compared with the good old days of Gowalla. One example was "St Kilda" which I happened to click on later and realised it connected to the suburb and beach of that name in Melbourne, Australia! I think I have now managed to remove all the spurious and incorrect check-ins, but the amusing thing was that I have actually been to that other St Kilda - it is where the Australia Grand Prix Formula 1 racetrack is!
    hahahahaha....

Instagram is easier in so many ways, because they show pictures, which I like to see. Facebook has so much uneccassary junk, advertisements and what not. I'm not too often on FB really. I check in once in a while, but find it .... ehhh.... sorry, but to be honest, boring.

But then again, nearly everybody I have worked with in the past, are there, and it's stalker-is fun to keep a track on their lives and whereabouts.

Remember the time when you could actually get through the feed there?

Now, it's a lost cause.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    TA-DAAA indeed Captain! And consider yourself the absolutely star prizewinner for keeping up with me throughout Serenissima'’s voyage!
    Just for the record in case anyone else is reading this, it wasn'’t only via FB, but also on Instagram. Actually it was with you and your current posting habits in mind that I made a special effort to post different photos of each day on the two social media sites. Thank you so very much for following me.

I do enjoy Instagram more than FB, but the FB 'Check-in places' database now in common for both sites is an absolute mess compared with the good old days of Gowalla. One example was "St Kilda" which I happened to click on later and realised it connected to the suburb and beach of that name in Melbourne, Australia! I think I have now managed to remove all the spurious and incorrect check-ins, but the amusing thing was that I have actually been to that other St Kilda - it is where the Australia Grand Prix Formula 1 racetrack is!

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    I'm back from a wonderful trip...
    Firstly, congratulations to ombugge who realised the reference to the trip on Serenissima that "I think I mentioned somewhere a while back" was in fact in a comment to him!
    Second prize goes to our 'Hercule Polo' for quickly sussing out the first stages of the trip!
    I hadn't really intended it to be a puzzle, although, judging by all the activity in the puzzle thread while I've been away, I seem to have caught the mood of the moment!

Just in case anyone is still confused, the round trip from and back to Edinburgh consisted of:-
    Plane Edinburgh to Gatwick airport.
    Train from Gatwick airport to Portsmouth, where I stayed two nights giving time to relax and get into a maritime mood - (including ferry-spotting, though not actually going to the Isle of Wight!)
    Ship Serenissima, a cruise they call “"Islands on the Edge" of England and the west coasts of Ireland and Scotland. From Portsmouth to Fairlie on the Firth of Clyde.
    Bus the included transfer to Glasgow, from where I continued by bus back to Edinburgh.

Thanks to those of you that managed to keep up with me elsewhere. I'm sorry it is just not practical for me to post here on CVF with just an iPAD and s-l-o-w internet connections.
    Welcome home and what an amazing journey you had.

And I sussed you out on Faebook too.... it was fairly easy, knowing your love for Serenissima.

I think I saw a post that you were at, or heading to Portsmouth.... I then searched marinetraffic for the location of Serenissima, and yes, she was not too far away with your destination and her destination a match.

TA-DAAA!

Welcome home, welcome home.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    I'm back from a wonderful trip...
    Firstly, congratulations to ombugge who realised the reference to the trip on Serenissima that "I think I mentioned somewhere a while back" was in fact in a comment to him!
    Second prize goes to our 'Hercule Polo' for quickly sussing out the first stages of the trip!
    I hadn't really intended it to be a puzzle, although, judging by all the activity in the puzzle thread while I've been away, I seem to have caught the mood of the moment!

Just in case anyone is still confused, the round trip from and back to Edinburgh consisted of:-
    Plane Edinburgh to Gatwick airport.
    Train from Gatwick airport to Portsmouth, where I stayed two nights giving time to relax and get into a maritime mood - (including ferry-spotting, though not actually going to the Isle of Wight!)
    Ship Serenissima, a cruise they call “"Islands on the Edge" of England and the west coasts of Ireland and Scotland. From Portsmouth to Fairlie on the Firth of Clyde.
    Bus the included transfer to Glasgow, from where I continued by bus back to Edinburgh.

Thanks to those of you that managed to keep up with me elsewhere. I'm sorry it is just not practical for me to post here on CVF with just an iPAD and s-l-o-w internet connections.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    The mystery solved:
    "I'll be aboard Serenissima visiting islands of England, Ireland and Scotland in May!"
    Enjoy!!!

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Thanks everybody...and Hercule Polo was doing brilliantly but perhaps didn’t quite appreciate that the various forms of transport in the order mentioned constitute the complete round trip back to Edinburgh. So with ship only mentioned once, he seems to have stranded me in the Isle of Wight!

Anyway, tomorrow is a relaxing day before the ship story starts on Friday
    Bon voyage.... and stay safe always!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Thanks everybody...and Hercule Polo was doing brilliantly but perhaps didn’t quite appreciate that the various forms of transport in the order mentioned constitute the complete round trip back to Edinburgh. So with ship only mentioned once, he seems to have stranded me in the Isle of Wight!

Anyway, tomorrow is a relaxing day before the ship story starts on Friday

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
    Nah - plane from Edinburgh to London. Train to Portsmouth Harbour or Southampton Central. Ship to Fishbourne or Cowes, bus to Ventnor. Simples.
    OMG.... that sounded so simple! Are you sure you are not in any way related to Hercule Poirot?

Lady C: take care on your travels and stay safe always, enjoy the little things as much as the big things and don't forget to take time to sit down, observe and breathe. Happy travels!

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Oh, orl roite
    Now solve my puzzle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X