How did you arrive at Captains Voyage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve.B
    started a topic How did you arrive at Captains Voyage?

How did you arrive at Captains Voyage?

A question for everyone. On this forum we have many many members with such varied interests. I have often wondered how we all found our way to the forum?

I myself first found Jan-Olav's original 'Captains Voyage' website. I found that whilst searching for information regarding the much missed S.S Norway. From there i found the forum.

So how did the rest of you arrive at the forum?

• yvneac
    replied
    Re: How did you arrive at Captains Voyage?

Thank you for answer,SteveB.
    Isaw on your profile you love I.of wight.Years ago with grammer scool rugby team of Deauville,twin town with Cowes, I played there.Each time we lost the match but welcoming was mighty!!!

Leave a comment:

• Steve.B
    replied

It is certainly good to have you aboard the forum yvneac. Your contributions are very welcome, and i am sure you will enjoy being a member on this friendly forum. No problems at all with your English, your posts are very easy to understand.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied

Fist of all,Iwish to say I am not a customer of net forums,but when I knew MS Nordsjernen will leave the line,I scared she will be sent to the brockers,so I looked for a site where I could set up a petition for her safeguard,even if this practice seems to be outmode (only seems,I guess!).
    I found CV and discovered there passionated and opened people,so,dispate my bad english and my clumsiness with net tools,I decided to learn from you and bring my little contribution.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied

Make sure when posting photos that you use Go Advanced after clicking on Reply or Reply to Thread, then you can preview your text and pic's and if necessary correct them before finally Submitting the post. If you double click on Reply to Thread it ought to take you straight to the Advanced version, but I find it doesn't always do so. Either my computer or the forum software. But it's no great hassle.

PS I forgot to mention - if you use Flickr then after you click on Share, choose BBCode, not the full HTML.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; January 7th, 2012, 00:49.

Leave a comment:

• Linray
    replied

Thanks for the welcome Ivy and advice about posting images. Yes, it was the fact that I couldn't do it straight from my hard drive that was confusing me! But apologies for being so thick because I use Photobucket and Flickr and had forgotten about doing it that way. I will try and get round to posting some photos and may PM you if I get stuck!

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied

Welcome to CVF, Linray, I know you'll have great fun here.
    As far as posting photos on the forum I expect you've realised that we cannot upload them direct from our hard drive. I keep all my photos on Flickr, then by clicking on one in my Photostream then on Share just above the picture I choose the size I want, select it, copy the info. and then paste that straight into my post here - there's no need to use the picture icon. There's a little bit of deleting to do after pasting, but I can soon help with that. Otherwise I occasionally use Picturepush where you can upload anonymously or start an album and the procedure is much the same. There's also Photobucket which many members use. There's probably others as well!
    Good luck, looking forward to seeing your pics. and eventually hearing about your August holiday.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; January 6th, 2012, 20:03.

Leave a comment:

• Linray
    replied

Just last month I found this fantastic Forum when I googled for information about the retirement of MS Nordstjernen. My husband and I are booked on the last sailing around Spitzbergen in August and onward to Bergen which it would appear could be last sailing of this lovely ship with Hurtigruten. Am I right in thinking that? We are big fans of Hurtigruten and have completed six voyages including two Round Trips and a voyage on MS Nordstjernen in Svalbard at the time of the eclispe in 2008.

I have many photos that I would love to share but am having a problem at the moment trying to work out how to get them into a posting following the information in FAQ!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Later on I promised Sterkoder that if we ever met I owed him a beer, but when the opportunity eventually arose, a beer seemed scarcely adequate. So a bottle of best Scottish whisky found its way to Norway.
    Shame on me for not commenting on this.
    Sure, I can say on the whiskey. I must say though, that it required some "acquired taste" (I'm used to american and canadian), but when it comes to whiskey I'm already there
    The content is long gone, but since that bottle you've bought me both beer and bacalao, so now it's me who shall say thank you!!

Anyway, it's nice that so many found their way to CVF.
    Last edited by Sterkoder; January 6th, 2012, 17:21.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

I don't know how they have got here, but noticed that there is now 100 active members. (For the first time, i think?)
    This is out of much larger number of registered members, (730) many of whom may have been single post members only.

Leave a comment:

• The Sea-Otter
    replied

First time I found CV was some years ago , while searching for the HSC "Fjordprinsessen"(1977) when I first found the old forum. I found the case about the 4-5 HSCs in Burma on NRK, and a link to the old forum. I checked it out, but decided to not join this unknown forum.

Last year, forum-member Fjordtroll(Joakim A) told me about a great forum I should check out, and sent me a link to Captainsvoyage-forum. I later reailized that this was the forum I found some years earlier. I joined, but didn't post anything for some months. I remeber posting something in the Ferry thread about "Helgøy" and in the HSC thread about "Skåskjær", but after that I went silent on CV, until I got a photobucket account. Now, 239 posts later and tons of pictures, I don't regret joining And since summer time is photo time, 239 posts more will easily come within a year
    Last edited by The Sea-Otter; June 16th, 2011, 17:08.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    I joined 23. March, 2009 and now, nearly two years and 2,700 post later I'm scratching my head to try to remember how I arrived at CVF, but i cannot rightly recall.
    Probably stumble across it while searching for something, be it regarding Hurtigruten, Cruise Ships or whatever.

The oldest posting I have found is from 26. March, 2009 in a thread called "Which ship is this?". (Started by me) asking for the earlier history for a ship called the Leisure World. She was quickly identified as ex Skyward.

I remember I had great big problem posting the first picture, but I got help from other members to figure out the process.

By the way, when searching for my earliest post I found that the picture of Leisure World and the Long Ji had disappeared. (They have now been re-instated)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Wow---how DID I find CVF???

(As I sit here in the computer room of the Serenity waiting on breakfast, lol)

I made friends on Facebook with Serenity's chief officer when I was on my first world cruise segment...then saw HIS friends on Facebook, and saw the link from Serenity to Symphony....asked his former boss, some guy named Jan-Olav, a few questions about Symphony before I got on her for the first time....found out Jan-Olav was moving from Thailand back to Norway...was able to answer some questions he had about moving, as I had done it so much.....and, lo and behold, just LOOK what happened.

How you all have changed my life.

You all are so precious and dear to me!!!!

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    If I may be permitted to say so, I'm so deeply humbled and fascinated by all your stories on how you came to know this place. Thank you all for being a part of my world-wide family and for sticking around for such a long time. I have no idea in this world how I would have made it so far without all of you: you all make me so proud of what we all have accomplished together.

How did I find my way to this forum?

It was about 6-7 years ago I first tried out something that was called a forum, and quickly got hooked on the massive amount of information they contained. I thought to myself, it was an awesome way of communicating and sharing knowledge with others that had the same interest.

At the time, I tried hanging around a now closed Norwegian forum which I do not remember the name of any longer. Then, out of the blue, they closed down and I tried an another forum (Norwegian) one but was soon scolded by the long-time members of that place.

I thought to myself, I will create my own place, and I promised that my own place there should be no yelling, shouting, name-calling, and no harassing of any kind. I wanted to create a place where we share the positive aspects of our interests, and where we leave the negative thoughts to ourselves. A place where politeness reigned high on the agenda, all the time.

We started with the old forum, a free forum, and we called it CaptainsVoyage Online Magazine.

Then, quite some time later, we got hacked by someone from the middle-East and we lost control... but only for as long as a very dear Thai friend of mine managed to hack it back to us. But by that time, I had pledged to buy a purchased forum platform and grow up (in a way).

And, that is where we are today...

I have high aspirations to grow bigger, to become more friendly whilst still keeping the friendly family atmosphere. I dream of a day where there are more members sharing more pictures and stories... I dream of expanding the photo section especially with more world class and also amateur photographers as me.

The reason why I would love the photo sections to grow more is because of my own interest in photography lately: despite a lack of motivation right now (a so-called dry-spell), this is the one thing that has kept me from loosing my sanity during the more difficult times of my life.

In closing, I would like to express my most sincere thank you to all of you that are making this such a wonderful place to be. You all know who you are, and you all deserve only the best in life because you are all truly wonderful people!

Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    ....So that's another two arrivals connected with Hurtigruten, i think that route will be hard to beat.
    …and I think it’s rather well known that I’m also the Hurtigruten route – but not absolutely directly. There was something or other happening at the time to do with NN or Fram I think it was. I clearly remember I was about to switch off my computer that night, and then thinking no, I’ll just have a further look around. Up came a Norwegian ship forum, and I feebly tried to make some sense of it from my very slight sprinkle of Swedish …and then I clicked on a link in a post from a guy called Sterkoder….and up popped CV.

Later on I promised Sterkoder that if we ever met I owed him a beer, but when the opportunity eventually arose, a beer seemed scarcely adequate. So a bottle of best Scottish whisky found its way to Norway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X