No announcement yet.

COVID-19/Corona-virus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy you and your parents are in good health Ralf.
    France has the same problem than UK. Testings are missing because it was cheaper to buy them in China rather than produce them here. This crisis proves that economy is not a science but the result of political options. There is ALWAYS an alternative.

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsl...cid=spartanntp

Worth a try!!!

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think they will give a donation to me... sad news in our newspaper:

Die Wichtel-Brauerei auf dem Roser-Areal trifft die Coronakrise besonders hart: Die Einnahmen aus dem Gaststättenbetrieb bleiben aus, zudem mussten viele Liter Bier vernichtet werden. Gebraut wird momentan nicht, alle Mitarbeiter sind in Kurzarbeit.
        (...) An allen Standorten mussten zusammen rund 2500 Liter Bier vernichtet, in diesem Falle also weggeschüttet, werden. Der Gerstensaft befand sich in so genannten Ausschanktanks, wo er sich nicht lange hält.

"the midget (or troll-) brewery is hit severe by the corona crisis: The incomes from the pub business are missed and they had to devastate many liters. Brewery is stopped, all employees are in short-time-work-program. (...) In all pubs together they had to devastate about 2.500 liter beer, as to say pour away. The beer was in the bar tanks, where it is not tenable for a long time."

Unfortunately they did not ask us to help with the devastation.

• Oistein
        Oistein commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice.

I would have been volonteer too Ralf.

Comment

• Clipper
        Clipper commented
        Editing a comment
        Someone please pour me a Weizen - the world's best type of beer. This thread has suddenly made me rather thirsty.

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        Let's hope that the situation clears soon, since their beer is actually very nice!

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, they have their own Weizen also. So you are cordially invited, as soon as we may do such things again!

Oi, you lot! Just to spoil your fun, I'm coming with a LARGE glass of good old Devonshire draught cider. None of this feeble stuff in bottles - or, horror of horrors, cans! Cider straight from the barrel. Wahey...........
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ivy, take care to order Thijs truck right in time to transport your barrel. And count in space and a stop at Yves to get some of the Beuvron Cidre and Calvados. He is living right at the source.

• yvneac
        yvneac commented
        Editing a comment
        For Ivy it's open bar at Beuvron.

• wherrygirl
        wherrygirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark: HUH!
        Ralf: Oh OK. And if we're using the HC then I'll stash in a couple of crates of Aspells Apple juice. Our Thijs is teetotal, and Aspells drink is not alcoholic, but made from beaurifully tasty, freshly pressed apples. It's a Suffolk brand, too. Stop at Yves? You know, you boozers are not content with knowing all the breweries and wine bars in your own country but you suss out those in each other's too!
        Yves: Aw, thanks matey.
        Last edited by wherrygirl; April 18th, 2020, 23:07.

My God, what is wrong with this man? I don't know if it's the staples that hold his toupee have penetrated his brain or if his pumpkin coloured face cream has seeped in enough to kill more brain cells than any amount of alcohol could possibly kill. Seems now he's actually at the point of starting a civil war?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newsp...GJc?li=AAggNb9

Comment

This about sums everything up - The COVID-19 Rules:
        1. Basically, you can’t leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can.
        2. Masks are useless, but maybe you have to wear one, it can save you, it is useless, but maybe it is mandatory as well.
        3. Stores are closed, except those that are open.
        4. You should not go to hospitals unless you have to go there. Same applies to doctors, you should only go there in case of emergency, provided you are not too sick.
        5. This virus is deadly but still not too scary, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster.
        6. Gloves won’t help, but they can still help.
        7. Everyone needs to stay HOME, but it’s important to GO OUT.
        8. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarket, but there are many things missing when you go there in the evening, but not in the morning. Sometimes.
        9. The virus has no effect on children except those it affects.
        10. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…
        11. You will have many symptoms when you are sick, but you can also get sick without symptoms, have symptoms without being sick, or be contagious without having symptoms. Oh, my…
        12. In order not to get sick, you have to eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand and it’s better not to go out, well, but no…
        13. It’s better to get some fresh air, but you get looked at very wrong when you get some fresh air, and most importantly, you don’t go to parks or walk. But don’t sit down, except that you can do that now if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant (but not too old).
        14. You can’t go to retirement homes, but you have to take care of the elderly and bring food and medication.
        15. If you are sick, you can’t go out, but you can go to the pharmacy.
        16. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house, which may have been prepared by people who didn’t wear masks or gloves. But you have to have your groceries decontaminated outside for 3 hours. Pizza too?
        17. Every disturbing article or disturbing interview starts with " I don’t want to trigger panic, but…"
        18. You can’t see your older mother or grandmother, but you can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver.
        19. You can walk around with a friend but not with your family if they don’t live under the same roof.
        20. You are safe if you maintain the appropriate social distance, but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance.
        21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours, no, four, no, six, no, we didn’t say hours, maybe days? But it takes a damp environment. Oh no, not necessarily.
        22. The virus stays in the air - well no, or yes, maybe, especially in a closed room, in one hour a sick person can infect ten, so if it falls, all our children were already infected at school before it was closed. But remember, if you stay at the recommended social distance, however in certain circumstances you should maintain a greater distance, which, studies show, the virus can travel further, maybe.
        23. We count the number of deaths but we don’t know how many people are infected as we have only tested so far those who were “almost dead” to find out if that’s what they will die of…
        24. We have no treatment, except that there may be one that apparently is not dangerous unless you take too much (which is the case with all medications).
        25. We should stay locked up until the virus disappears, but it will only disappear if we achieve collective immunity, so when it circulates… but we must no longer be locked up for that?
        26. If you die from getting hit by a bus, mauled by a tiger, cancer, gunshot, whatever, and test positive for COVID, it counts as a COVID death, maybe, always, but not every time depending on what channel you watch.
          -COPIED AND PASTED-

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          That's marvelous ombugge!
          But, perhaps a few rules too many?

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          For Sweden yes, too many.

Some "activities" during my lockdown at Beuvron.

Comment

The second picture is very similar to our recent week-ends.
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            More enjoyable than the first one!

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah! Not so sweaty! You are even heating the garden!

You idle creatures. Typical behaviour of the male of the species.
          As the only female left on CVF and also having the number of years to have had each of you little ones across my knee with my cane doing a smart job where it was needed, I've decided to throw my weight around a bit..
          I've been in absolute lockdown since it started, luckily having very industrious and friendly local food shops who between them deliver practically everything customers need. (No dependance on superstores for me, I have only ever used them for the odd item which is not available in Bungay.) It's not been easy, trying to decide what must be ordered for a week's supply of things. knowing that it's now or never each time. But I have managed.
          Meanwhile, I have, entirely on my tough own and in short spells because for hours afterwards my spine clicks every time I bend slightly, done WONDERS in the garden. I now have broad beans, runner beans, Florence fennel, peas, courgettes and carrots sown even at this late date. Peas are about 6 inches high (if you don't know what an inch measures then look it up before you raise the wine glass again.) Carrots are just about through the ground, courgettes astounded me by appearing after only a week, eager to do their stuff because they know I love them.
          Flowers are doing splendidly too, glorious display. My lavender bush has grown more inches (you still don't know how long that Is????) this year than ever before and is just at the point of exploding into great spires of perfume.
          In February I engaged what turned out to be an utterly useless roofer (typical male, of course) to repair the pantile roof of my brick built shed (it used to be the old washhouse.) You should see the mess he left behind. He also said the small chimney stack which once served the old copper was unstable and should come down. I agreed because I knew that corner was in a bad state. My shed is packed full of my gardening things plus much of my father's tools and oddments which I sometimes have found useful. I expected and dreaded the dust and bits of heaven knows what else which would be left behind when the job was complete, that was inevitable. But when the so-called roofer had finished, that corner inside was a heap of rubble, broken bricks, stuff thrown about any old how. I was, and still am, in despair about it. THAT MAN also smashed two stems of the rosemary bush, goodness knows how, it wasn't in his way. I saw him with his cement mixer parked on my paving and asked him to move it nearer the shed, still on good, expensive paving but not actually in the main garden. Good job I did. There are now bits of concrete all over it and also on the paving in the little arbour. I've tried chipping it off, but it's no good.
          Who's going to have to clear up???? Yeah, ME,
          BUT, today Ivy got absolutely fed up with it all. Sun was shining, I grabbed my keys, bag and Contactless, went up the town and visited three shops. I bought things for the birds and me.
          Snaps of the garden may, or may not appear. Tough luck if they don't.
          Last edited by wherrygirl; May 27th, 2020, 22:34.
          Ivy

Comment

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            I searched yesterday for a while, but couldn't find it... somehow i remember a similar story with a craftsman some years ago. Either they are broad-bush all idiots in Suffolk or they have problems with a certain prickly character. But i can imagine that it might be difficult for someone who doesn't know what he is getting into, when he opens the door to that particular tiny brickstone house. Sometimes she resembles me to another lady, who had a similar gruff social intercourse with men sometimes:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAm-31h2AcM

Here in Sweden things are in many way as they always have been.

Gatherings of 50 people or more are prohibited, we shouldn't travel more than 2 hours from home, elderly people over 70 should avoid meeting other people if they don't have to. Higher education is done online.
          We have sunshine, almost summer temperature and fair winds.

I'm still working from home, and probably willl until vacation. Most of my work is still about reading and writing e-mails and participating to online meetings - so no practical difference at all. During lunchtime I can enjoy a nice bike ride downtown to grab some lunch in Strängnäs. At the same time I save some CO2 by not taking the car to work.
          Since I spend a lot of time in my home office, I improved the ergonomy by fetiching a height adjustable table from IKEA.

There's a lot of being home in the weeks, so every weekend I'm out on the Mälaren, sailing here and there - or nowhere, mostly talking with my boating friends.

Take care!

Comment

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            Your roofer seems as efficient as my plumber, Ivy.

That sounds good, Tommi. Working from home gives you a certain amount of choice as to when you deal with the various matters, subject, of course, to the virtual meetings and urgent enails which must be dealt with as soon as possible. And you're certainly using the time saved well! When the lockdown finally ends will you be able to carry on with home working, apart from the meetings?
          Ivy

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            We're actually not in a lockdown, but everyone that can is recommended to work from home.
            Even before the covid-19 I was working home about one day a week, we'll see what happens after the summer.

I have mentioned above how helpful the shopkeepers in Bungay are in willingly doing deliveries to those of us keeping strict lock-down. (Though, as I said, I have at last broken mine to a certain extent and, finding very few people about, was much encouraged.) Each shop uses Contactless plastic and I'm beginning to wonder if in the future I shall dispense with coins altogether! My new neighbour laughingly told me that she never uses them, but then she shops at a supermarket so would buy in larger quantities than I normally do. I ventured out again yesterday to a shop only a few yards away from me, (originally a butcher's but now sells basic veggies, plenty of cheeses, eggs and various tinned and jar foods.) It's the only shop in my section of Bungay so is very useful. Sadly the man who ran it with his wife died suddenly last year of a massive heart attack. He was a great man, they called him Mr. Bungay, because of the many things he did for the town. His funeral was apparently carried out using the splendid black horses and carriage which were always for hire for any special occasion in the rown.
          The manner of his death reminded me of our dear one-time member Paul, who we lost several years ago in a similar way. I still think of him often. He was special.
          However, I had gone up to the nearby shop because I needed more bread, and although I could have bought it up the town (more choice of the kind of bread I enjoy) I suddenly remembered that it was market day. According to what I have heard on the news, outdoor markets are going to be allowed to get going again soon. I was surprised because our Bungay town website confirms that our Thursday one has continued to appear. Not wanting to be near groups of people queueing at the stalls I played it safe and went to the local shop, which the widow continues to run. From them I learnt that the minimum spend using the Contactless card is £5. My bread cost somewhat less than that! So I invested in some lovely chee-eee-eese.
          The deliveries I mentioned are only possible because of the number of volunteers in the town, people who are prepared to do all sorts of things as and when needed. One very interesting activity is the issue of what years ago would be called a broadsheet, a single sheet of paper which in this case contains purely local news. It is specially for Staithe Road, my street's name, and is slowly getting more contributions from us locals. The week when so many events had been arranged to celebrate VE Day but which had sadly been just wiped out, I wrote a short piece of my experience In south-east London during the long night of the start of the Blitz, and I added a short poem likening the screech of planes having been shot down, the whistle of the bombs, the sound of shrapnel, etc., but I wrote it as if describing a violent piece of music, each sound being a musical instrument.
          In more cheerful mood, another contributer mentioned that before lock-down they had been trying to establish who lived in our street in the past. That is difficult, as I know in my research into my own house. They had used the free facilities at our library and searched some censuses (yes, I'm using the Anglicised spelling instead of the proper Latin one), but then came the virus and libraries all closed.
          However, I think I will ask the editor of the broadsheet if he would pass my email address to the couple who wrote about their research, because they might like us to join forces and see what we can find. I know.who lived in my house in the early 1900's and that was Jack Powley, a wherry man. And I have met his grand-daughter. I have written about this elsewhere on the forum, and Clipper very kindly sent me a wonderful big chart of the construction detail of the Albion, "my" wherry. The chart is displayed in my living room and is something which I am so pleased to have.
          So, an interesting subject to explore fot the future.
          Ivy

Comment

• Remarc
            Remarc commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure would like to read your poem. I did not live through the war, have learned about it (mostly the Americanized versions) and have had very few people that did live through it explain their experiences and feelings. The sights, sounds, smells etc.

I'll send you the poem via a PM, Remarc. I can give you the story of the war as I, aged 7 when war was declared, experienced it for it is quite detailed and probably of historic interest. But none of this is really suitable for the forum. However, I tell you what. In 2003 the BBC opened up what was to be an archive of life in England during the war. Anyone and everyone was invited to write in their own words what they experienced, whether it was a single incident or covered a longer period. Nothing was altered, the stories were exactly as written by the people - looking at mine just now I saw a typo that I'd made - still there!
          It's quite a rigmarole trying to get a simple way of reaching my story, I got through and copied its URL, thought I'd start from scratch and do a search using it. Guess what? Yes, Got a 404!
          But I'll get it sorted and send it via a PM. There's thousands of different tales, from people in all walks of life, incredible. The archive was closed in 2008.and will remain available in perpetuity.
          Ivy

Comment

• Remarc
            Remarc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, that sounds great

Hooray! have just tried the URL and got straight through. But there is a wealth of stories on the archive and the home page (will give you its URL) guides you into finding them according to what particular aspect you are interested in. Something you may wish to explore now and again. You have spurred me on to try and find something similar for the German people.
          Ivy

Comment

Working...
          X