No announcement yet.

Captains travel bLOG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you that traced my flight and ensured my safety, I thank you so very much.

Right now, I'm in my beloved Hong Kong and I'm enjoying it every single minute. I have crested couple of LIVE broadcasts and a video for you to already enjoy with me. It's all on youtube of course.

Hope all is well with you all.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I traced Captain's flight overnight too (18/19 March) back to CPH.
      Landed safe and sound and right on time (well actually 8 minutes early )

He has indeed been amazingly active in making videos during his visit to Hong Kong, as well as the more ephemeral live video type “posts” and “chats” across various formats.

The videos on You Tube he mentions in the above post include varied subject matter and familiar pakarang styles (such as Captain’s Walk ‘n Talk videos - if you previously enjoyed those from Trondheim, you’ll like the 13 minute “Hiking from North Point to Victoria Peak”)

But if you only get around to watching one YouTube video and haven't already seen it, this account of his outward journey "Going Places with Scandinavian" is an absolute must-see:-
      https://youtu.be/_VilUxgv5oI

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        Close!! Pauline came also back this morning, overnight flight from Hongkong to Frankfurt, touchdown 6 a.m. this morning. They could have met at the airport. Will ask her later (hehe).

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        I asked her, but she did not notice him. But the Captain left HKG only 10 minutes before Pauline!!!

Her flight was CX 289 Cathay Pacific.

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Captain flew out economy but returned business class, so he’d be hidden away in a lounge most of the time (Actually he relocated from one lounge that closed earlier to another that stayed open nearer to his 01:00 flight.)

Love to Pauline.

OMG..... first of all, sad I didn't get to meet Pauline as we were at the same airport at the same time.

Second of all, you really got my movements on the airport detailed to the maximum.

Thanks for tracing my flight and for ensuring that I landed safely. It was an amazing Scandinavian night on board, and as I said somewhere else, what happens if you have a crush on an airline?

There is just one more video to upload to youtube, and it should be coming fairly soon. Thank you all for watching and for liking the videos. I do not intend to go full-fledge professional but I do expect to get better at it as time goes and as long as interest keeps me active.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        There is just one more video to upload to youtube, and it should be coming fairly soon. Thank you all for watching and for liking the videos. I do not intend to go full-fledge professional but I do expect to get better at it as time goes and as long as interest keeps me active.
        With the last one now publicly viewable, all videos from Hong Kong has been shared with all of you. Hope you enjoy them, or parts of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMeGH1x0DV4

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Going places with Scandinavian (part 1:3)

About two weeks ago ALREADY (like in "I really can't believe it"), I was on my way to Hong Kong at this time. Flying from Trondheim in the afternoon, to join an evening flight with SAS from Copenhagen to my beloved Hong Kong. The first flight was on a tiny aircraft, a Bombardier CRJ 900 with registration EI-FPW, and name Una Viking.

A video fro my flight, on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VilUxgv5oI

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3739 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Flying past and soon over HOMMELVIKA:

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3743 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Looking back at Værnes Trondheim Airport:

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3744 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3746 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Going places with Scandinavian (part 2:3)

After an extended stay at Copenhagen, it was FINALLY time to board the big bird bound for Hong Kong. This time, it would be LN-RKF Gudrod Viking, an Airbus 340-300 from June 2001:

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3764 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3767 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3772 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Your Lady travel-geek-gull just noting that there was a typo/mistake in the caption here, as can be clearly seen in the first photo. I am particularly keen to check these details out now for a special reason that will become apparent in a post I'm about to make in the general SAS thread!!!!!

Captains travel bLOG: Going places with Scandinavian (part 3:3)

As both SAS Plus and Business Class was fully booked this evening, I landed myself in seat 31A a little further back. No worries, I still get the Scandinavian experience. I really like the colors and feel of the cabin, it is modern yet very soothing for a long flight in comfort.

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3783 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Complimentary in your seat at boarding is a bottle of water, earplugs and a good quality blanket:

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3779 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3777 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3785 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3786 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The IFES is really great on SAS, and I think it is the best one I have tried on any of the very few airlines I have flown with in the last decade.

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3791 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Dinner on board in economy class:

2019_03_10 G7XM2-TRD-CPH-HKG-IMG_3794 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

I really appreciate this. It feels like having found some missing pieces of the jigsaw puzzle so that I can complete my picture of your wonderful trip to Hong Kong!
              Especially the initial flight, plus more coverage of the flight from CPH.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                I really appreciate this. It feels like having found some missing pieces of the jigsaw puzzle so that I can complete my picture of your wonderful trip to Hong Kong!
                Especially the initial flight, plus more coverage of the flight from CPH.
                Thank you very much, I bet your records are truly detailed. LOL

Here are some additional images that I forgot to share in the previous set.

The breakfast prior to landing, in economy class:

2019_03_11 G7XM2-TRD-HKG-IMG_3796 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Perhaps what I think is the absolutely best view in the whole wide world right now:

2019_03_11 G7XM2-TRD-HKG-IMG_3798 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Arrival Hong Kong, I would be a guest at BLACKLANE limousines - as I have been for almost every visit there.

2019_03_11 G7XM2-TRD-HKG- IMG_3819 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

They came to pick me up in a MB S500L this time:

2019_03_11 G7XM2-TRD-HKG- IMG_3821 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The initial hotel room at IBIS North Point was so incredibly claustrophobic, I had to ask for another room. Which I got, the following day. I have stayed once here before and I actually like the location, a little out of the "center" at North Point, and making me walk to Wai Chan and surrounding areas.

2019_03_11 G7XM2-TRD-HKG- IMG_3825 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Finally, just a short time after landing, I was in a totally different world: different but yet so familiar to me.

2019_03_11 G7XM2-TRD-HKG- IMG_3826 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Sleepbox Sukhumwit 22

A couple of times already, I have stayed at the Sleepbox in Sukhumwit Soi 22 in Bangkok. It's a stack of shipping containers converted into a really cool hotel/hostel. The prices are very reasonable, the property is really clean, and it's well run by really friendly staff. I have fallen in love with this place in Bangkok, and it provides all that I need for some hectic days in the Thai capital.

Not unbeknownst to many, I have for a long time had a particular interest in shipping containers as accommodations.

The only offset, or issue that I have, is the location - quite far down Sukhumwit Soi 22. Other than that, it's actually quite ideal.

PS: There is one room that has absolutely NO internet connectivity, and they really don't know why that particular room has that problem. If you end up in that room, just ask them for another room and pray they are not sold out.

Here are some pictures from the property.

2018_09_09 G7XM2-Thailand-2018_09_09 iPHONE-Hong Kong-Bangkok-IMG_1888-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_09 G7XM2-Thailand-2018_09_09 iPHONE-Hong Kong-Bangkok-IMG_1894-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Lobby area:

2018_09_09 G7XM2-Thailand-2018_09_09 iPHONE-Hong Kong-Bangkok-IMG_1892-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_09 G7XM2-Thailand-2018_09_09 iPHONE-Hong Kong-Bangkok-IMG_1893-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Activity/ silent room in common areas:

2018_09_09 G7XM2-Thailand-2018_09_09 iPHONE-Hong Kong-Bangkok-IMG_1890-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_10 iPHONE-Bangkok-IMG_1943-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Room doors:

2018_09_09 G7XM2-Thailand-2018_09_09 iPHONE-Hong Kong-Bangkok-IMG_1889-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_10 iPHONE-Bangkok-IMG_1942-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The room, which I THINK had no Internet connectivity:

2018_09_10 iPHONE-Bangkok-IMG_1940-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

- and finally, an absolutely terrible iPHONE picture of the view from the room at night:

2018_09_09 G7XM2-Thailand-2018_09_09 iPHONE-Hong Kong-Bangkok-IMG_1913-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: day 1 Leaving Norway, part 1:2

Exactly two years ago, I left Trondheim for a holiday to Thailand on this very day. The report is therefore not fresh, and I'm not on the run again now. I thought the time to share memories and some thoughts from that trip would be a sort-of "now or never" kind of moment. I hope'll you come a long for a ride to the country I cherish so much.

The trip started way too early that morning, with a 6AM morning flight from Trondheim to Copenhagen. I had finished my duties on the ferry just 11 hours earlier, so there hadn't been too much sleep till this moment. I wouldn't have been able to sleep much anyway.... they say, early birds gets the best seeds.

I don't really fancy these small Scandinavian birds: I can't wait till we get the new A320 on this route some time in the future. This is a Bombardier CRJ-900 with registration OY-KFH from July 2009, Ella Viking.

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0236-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Next to us, there was a tiny Royal Dutchman City Hopper too... bound for Amsterdam I believe. I can see it's an Embraer jet, and I think it may be an Embraer ERJ-170. Can't read the registration on it to confirm.

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0238-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Closing up on Copenhagen, a view that has become really familiar to me over the past few years:

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0247-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

About to land at CPH:

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0248 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Well into the terminal at Copenhagen, it was as always time for meeting up in the SAS Gold Lounge... and a moment to admire this giant aircraft model:

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0249-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

My outfit for the day: nearly identical to the last detail:

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0274 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Waiting for the flight to board having a lot of work done prior to boarding. Life may be hard in moments like these.

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0253-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: day 1 Leaving Norway, part 2:2

With drunk butterflies in my stomach flying around in the (one... glass) red wine I had just consumed, I was so ecstatic to finally be boarding Thai Airways bound for Bangkok. This day, it would be HS-TKU Acharasobhit from June 2014 that would fly me to Thailand. It's an aircraft I have flown literally a dozen times between Norway and Thailand since it was added to the THAI fleet. It's something familiar when I walk up to an aircraft like this, it's almost like meeting an old friend.

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0262-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

I did stop by another bird also that day, a Scandinavian Airbus 330-300 registered in Norway: LN-RKH, and from October 2002. She carries the Viking name of Edmund: Edmund Viking. Oh, I remember how I wished Scandinavian would fly to Bangkok again. But so will not happen any time in the near future. In a Star Alliance agreement, SAS "gave" Thai the Oslo - Bangkok route in exchange for some other slots I think. Correct me here if I'm wrong!

But. look at that aircraft! Isn't she a beauty? Someone is smitten with SAS. LOL.

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0264-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Also a Singaporean was on the tarmac this day, probably bound for Singapore. The aircraft, a Boing 777-200 from November 2002 with registration 9V-SVL, has since then left Singapore fleet. She was withdrawn from use and stored at Singapore on March 1st 2018. In May same year, she was ferried and used at Air New Zealand. Then again, she seems to be currently back in storage as of a few days ago.
                      • Ferried SIN-AKL 19 Jun 2018 on delivery
                      • Entered into service 7 Jul 2018
                      • wfu 25 Mar 2019
                      • std at VCV 29 Apr 2019
                      2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0270-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Finally on board the THAI, I was ecstatic that my plans of finding a seat overlooking the engines of the aircraft was successful. This is the massive GE90 port side engine of อัจฉราโสภิต

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0280 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

- and this is THE view I always long for: looking out on the GE90 engine of one of my favourite aircrafts, the B777-300ER. Look at that massive thing, powering upwards.... and look at the flex of the wing! Something, right?

2017_05_02 Trondheim - Copenhagen - IMG_0284-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Return tomorrow, and see what I did when I landed at Bangkok, and my first day back in Thailand...
                      Last edited by pakarang; May 2nd, 2019, 15:01. Reason: Forgot header.

Comment

Loving these memories of yours, and they amazingly and vividly evoke my own memories of virtually following you on those travels. As I’ am away right now I can’t respond on the details as I otherwise would! But be assured Captain that I am seeing and appreciating your posts nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                          Loving these memories of yours, and they amazingly and vividly evoke my own memories of virtually following you on those travels. As I’ am away right now I can’t respond on the details as I otherwise would! But be assured Captain that I am seeing and appreciating your posts nevertheless.
                          Thank you very much for your kind visit and comment!

I still have most of the notes I wrote down that trip, on different places and medias, so putting them together will be both fun and hard.

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: day 2 Arriving in Bangkok

After a successful and very much a comfortable flight, the aircraft was about to land in Bangkok, Thailand, early the following morning. I think the Thai flight has the perfect arrival time: just around 6 in the morning. If you are lucky in immigration, baggage claim and customs, you'll likely be on your way from the airport by 06:30.

For me, it takes a few hours to get out of the airport, because I usually have a rental car waiting. Even though everything is pre-arranged, pre-booked and checked, there is almost ALWAYS some things that goes wrong. They say TIT. This is Thailand. Nothing is supposed to be easy, and everything simple may take an abnormally long time. People don't seem to pay attention to urgency either. Give it up, breathe... in Thailand nothing is simple.

After a serious dispute with HERTZ Thailand, I never rent from them again. I had a car booked, and received by e-mail an official confirmation that everything was OK. At arrival, they had no reservation and didn't accept my confirmation e-mail due to a whole lot of various excuses. Trying to explain the issue to them, and calling the service hot-line, they eventually shut down their interest completely, and started ignoring their customer. Based on own experiences in Thailand, when locals experience trouble in work, they will ignore you and hope you will turn away (the problem will disappear).

I now rent from AVIS only, and so far, they have not disappointed. Time will show.

Here is the aircraft about to cross over the Bangkok-Pattaya highway and fly the final meters to the runway:

2017_05_03 Bangkok - IMG_0290 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

I have learnt a lot over the year travelling: like that the hotel room most likely will not be ready before 2PM. I have previously stayed at Centara Pavillion Watergate Pratunam Hotel at arrival-day quite a few times, and in 9 out of 10 cases (not high-season), they will have the room available already at check in around 8-9 in the morning. I love that hotel. Their bedsheets and beds are so comfortable!

This time, I wasn't going to stay in Bangkok the first night, but head north eastwards. I drove to World Trade Centre parking garage, and changed into a fresh polo-shirt from my carry on. As I was in need for a delicious cup of coffee, and the time hadn't reached 8 in the morning yet, I headed for the lobby bar of Berkeley Hotel in Pratunam. Their ILLY coffee is excellent and they serve it with a small complimentary sweet too.

2017_05_03 Bangkok - IMG_0292 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

A few hours later, with a couple of meetings out of the way, and after checking up on so many friends in the area, I headed out of Bangkok towards Khorat (also known as Nakron Ratchasima). Each time I head out of Bangkok northwards, there is one coffee-shop I make an effort at visiting. It's not easy, because the traffic flows fast and you have to make the correct exit too. Once you have driven past the exit, making a U-turn will set you back forever time wise.

The coffee shop is made up of some old shipping containers (and as you know, I have a special fancy for hotels, bars, coffee shops and hotels made of old shipping containers), and located in Rangsit. The place is called J's Coffee and their exact coordinates are 14° 2'52.93"N 100°36'58.88"E

Looking through "historical images" on Google Earth, it does seem however they ceased to exist in that exact location some time during 2018. From what I could find on Thai Internet, they apparently could not renew their land lease, and moved the containers to another area away from the main street out of Bangkok (Phaholyothin Road).

2017_05_03 Bangkok - IMG_0309-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_03 Bangkok - IMG_0303-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_03 Bangkok - IMG_0300-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

I guess I need to find them in their new location on my next visit.

When we return, we will have jumped to March 6th.... that will be shared here on that same day, if you are still interested in seeing the continuation of my visit.

Comment

Working...
                            X