Captains bLOG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palaeng Asian Street Food Café

We are still struggling to hang on, but still open for business every single day. I find it quite fascinating that many people I know seems to love telling me they walked by, had a quick look inside, asking for a discount, and walking away. Is that a Norwegian thing?

If you ever visit Trondheim, I would love to welcome you inside and not only for a look, but also to try some of our delicious dishes or one of the extremely popular drinks and bubble-tea selections we have.

We are located at Fjordgata 72.

And that's the advertisement I have for today.

2019_05_05 Palaeng Cafe-IMG_6132 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Try to improve your tripadvisor notification: The name there is Chang Thai Brygge Kafé, and there are only 3 comments. So the ranking is No. 151 from 223 restaurants in Trondheim. It is shown on page 6. And there is no listing under Thai-Restaurants. Nobody will find it there.

Listing on Google okay.

but no pictures of location and team. Show who you are and where you are. People should get an identification with the place, not with food pictures, they don't smell and taste. Make your place easy to find and cozy to be there.

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Try to improve the listing on just-eat.no: You're quite back on the list and it is notified as closed. What do you have to do to get on top of the list?
      Try to improve the listing on wolt.com: get listed in some categories.

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Introduce the team, the personalities. You are offering handmade food, So the people want to know, who is the artist!
      What is a unique offer for Trondheim, something you can become famous for? And what no one else is offering?

Thank you so much Ralf for your advice, and thank you for taking time to read and visit my post(s).

With a small grin, as insecure as I am, I have been contemplating about quit sharing images and more stories in the bLOG's here, but knowing you do read them, makes it much more worth it continuing.

To be honest, I'm stepping more and more away from the restaurant as this is not where my passion lies. My friends do an excellent job at running the place, and that was the plan as well, that they would handle it all by themselves as time goes by.

We/they have tried using delivery services as Wolt and such... but the thing is that they charge something like 30% of the food cost of each delivery, leaving us to make only a small mark-up profit of each dish. During promotion-weeks, they also wants as much as 50% of each dish. That leaves us making food at cost price.

There is no limit to businesses contacting us with various services we SHOULD have, we NEED, and would be good to have. There is so many companies that wants us to do the work, but that wants our profit margins.

We have applied for "skjenkebevillgning" (permit to sell alcohol), back in February, but they (the local Government) is still working on it. Calling them and asking how much more time they need, or when we can expect to have the permit, you will be rudely told to stop calling (and most probably they put your application back at the bottom of the pile).

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I can imagine how difficult it is, to join all these services. They take a lot for doing nearly nothing. As much important it is to get more visible in the open net: google, trip advisor... if you want, wecan go more into detail with this, just send me a mail. The place is not too overcrowded i guess, so it is importat to get a name, setting a brand. Please don‘t hesitate. Just let us start to exchange some ideas. I am convinced your friends are doing an amazing job. It just has to be seen.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Intermittently.

I'll be in and out this week.... day watch at work. Day watch from tomorrow morning again, till Friday evening, then back again on Saturday from morning to late night.

From Sunday night, night watch every second night again. YAWN.

I shared an image today on Instagram, taken at 4 in the morning with just the iPHONE.

It was one of those truly spectacular and special mornings. The day has been really hot at the ferry, around 228 degrees and absolutely no wind until this afternoon. Stay safe all.

2019_08_28 iPHONE-Good mornign Lagatun-small-IMG_7992 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

• Ralf__
          Ralf__ commented
          Editing a comment
          "I have the most beautiful workplace in the world..." (only) sometimes this statement is true. So your schedule is Thursday (day), Friday (day) Saturday (night), Sunday (night), Tuesday (night), Thursday (night)... did i understand that well?
          Have also safe shifts during the next days. Lot of rain is predicted, so you will have to remember that picture.

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          And that temperature. It is not every day it get that hot in Trondheimsfjorden 228 C, amazing!!

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          The confusing thing on this ferry route has always been that a "Days" week also involves some nights on watch aboard the ferry. (I recollect that such a "Days" week was sometimes jocularly referred to as the week from hell!)

So I reckon the remainder of this current "Days week" is working during the daytime (today,Thursday) including overnight watch over Thursday night, and right through the day on Friday ( is that until as late as 22:00 ? - I think you said you were working until 22:00 last Tuesday.) Then it seems you get home for an incredibly short time before an early start on Saturday morning (04:00-ish like that sunrise photo) until late Saturday evening.

"Nights" week is perhaps easier to understand, and I assume is as you describe the coming week, starting late afternoon/early evening on Sunday 1st September when you are on Nightwatch. ending Monday morning. At home Monday night, Then similarly alternating with Nightwatches Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and (?) Monday nights.

The major difference from Korsfjord seems to be that you then get two weeks off, whereas it used to be three.
          The next two weeks on will then commence with a Days week, followed by a Nights week.

Phew! In Ralf's words, “did I understand that well?”
          Last edited by Seagull; August 31st, 2019, 09:56. Reason: Got rid of an annoying repeated line than had resulted from my struggle to add a smiley!

The shift-schedule has indeed changed and it sounds a bit complicated at first.... the major difference is that we now do a sort-of-2 weeks on/off rotation.

It works like this - more or less:

Round 1:

Tuesday 07:30 - Wednesday 18:00
        Thursday 07:30 - Friday 18:00 ----> where I am right now.
        Saturday 07:00-21:00
        Sunday 18:00 - Monday 07:30
        Tuesday 18:00 - Wednesday 07:30
        Thursday 18:00 - Friday 07:30
        Saturday 18:00 - Sunday 08:00

Then "vacation" 1,5 weeks.

Round 2: Then it starts again, the longer weeks:

Friday 07:30 - 20:40 (Lagatun till lunch, then switching to C-ferry Trondheim)
        Sunday 13:30 - 20:40 (C-ferry Trondheim)
        Monday 18:00 - Tuesday 07:30
        Wednesday 18:00 - Thursday 07:30
        Friday 18:00 - Saturday 07:00
        Sunday 11:00 - 18:00
        Monday 07:30 - Tuesday 18:00
        Wednesday 07:30 -Thursday 18:00
        Friday 07:30 - Saturday 18:00
        Sunday 08:00 - Monday 18:00

Then "two weeks" off, and back to round 1.

Confusing, right?

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          Confusing, right?....
          Actually it does make some aspects a tiny bit clearer to me.
          It's helpful to see the exact on-duty start and finish times - I must have seemed like I was trying to make your times at work even longer than they already are! But then again you have to get there from home and go aboard and be all prepared for command of your first 'to and fro'. In winter that has to allow for road conditions and weather related delays, and in a Scandinavian summer it must be hard to sleep between such shifts - I'm sure I'd be up and about and photographing a sunrise like that at 4am

I had totally forgotten about the swopping on and off the C-ferry (maybe in the beginning I had mistakenly assumed it was in connection with familiarisation with the other ferries in the fleet, or even that you had volunteered to so an extra shift or two).

This has really made me realise how very much you must miss the ‘3-weeks off' periods, seeing that one of the current ‘two weeks off' has even shrunk to 1.5 weeks.

Comment

Sometimes, it's very cool to have a decent understanding of the Chinese language. Like the day I stumbled upon these 6 RV's at Port of Trondheim in August this year.

They were members of the Eurasia tour team of China RV Family, and they were on a 6 month long trans-Eurasian RV tour. They started in Beijing on April 21st 2019, and would drive an estimated 48.000 km on this long trip. They plan to be back in Beijing in October this year.

Thank you very much for visiting us,and may you all have a very return-trip back to Beijing.

很荣幸能见到你们 欢迎回到挪威

2019_08_18 iPHONE-Chinese RV tour-IMG_7849-small by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_08_18 iPHONE-Chinese RV tour-IMG_7848-small by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X