Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FAMILY MEETINGS and photos from the FAMILY ALBUM

Hi all,

Yes, Kiki and I met up in St Helier on Monday.

Ignore the imprinted date. I had just replaced the camera batteries and .... it likes to revert to 1st Jan 2000.

It was actually 18 July 2011, on a damp windy day outside La Frégate, St Helier Jersey CI. We sat down for a hot drink and my friend Ian, who lives on the island, took the snaps.

Sorry about the dark photochromic lenses. You will all have to wait to see my magnificent eyes properly.

Wonderful to meet you Kiki (my first CV meet-up) and many thanks for organising the custom guided tour of the Maritime Museum's historic boat collection.

Clipper
    Last edited by Clipper; July 21st, 2011, 18:41.
    ---------------------------
    Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
    Deck plan geek.
    The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Comment

I run a small poetry group, one member of which is a blacksmith. She recently invited us over to the forge with the opportunity of actually making something if we wished. Yes, I jumped at the chance - of course!

And NO, that is NOT a poker with a piece of red paper stuck on the end. It's the real thing. Under strict instruction I was forging a pendant. Later, after a picnic, two of us stayed behind for a second go, and I forged a second one with her help. Both these feature on Wherrygirl's 366 thread.
      I just loved it, the satisfaction - judging the amount of time to leave the metal bar in the almost white hot fire, getting to understand its responses to the hammer as the object slowly took shape, looking in disbelief at the finished pendant before scrubbing it with the wire brush to produce a rough polish. Oh, I could go back again as often as you like!
      Our blacksmith wins many commissions for both new work and repairs, and the gates at the entrance to the Royal Sandringham Palace can be included in the latter. She and her partner produce wonderful work and we are all so grateful to her for giving us such a marvellous day.
      Last edited by wherrygirl; July 27th, 2011, 13:04.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Wow, now Thijs knows where to go if there is something to fix at his truck if he chrashes against something!!
        Isn't she a really tough girl?!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I am also really struck (oops no pun intended!) by the expression on the face of the lady watching, and I’m reminded of the capture from NRK of Captain waving his flag and the expression on the face of the onlookers watching him on that occasion. Truly special family portraits.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
            As most of you are aware, I am one of the people that pakarang has encouraged to join him in another project of taking one photo every day for a year. It was suggested that a “one a week” or “one a month” might appeal more to some, and Sterkoder is fully and beautifully documenting the changing four seasons in one place. But I have realised I have another project that just kind of emerged…a sort of “One a year portrait of pakarang”.

My “Pakarang Project” has followed him on temporary assignments aboard HSC’s out of Bodø, and on to Trondheim a year later aboard the ferry Fosen where I captured the coveted 3-stripes-on-shoulder Chief Officer picture.

But then last November our Captain brought Korsfjord from Poland to Norway as her Captain, and so my project had to be allowed a greater than annual frequency in such special circumstances. Although he looks gorgeous in a black Fjord 1 boiler suit (! ) and I will never forget watching him working the ropes that November night in Molde as long as I live, nevertheless the wish to take a 4-stripes-on-shoulder photo had become an increasingly desirable aim.

Sterkoder has written elsewhere about a Seagull fulfilling goals….
            …and so you should not be surprised that I got myself to the ferry dock at Flakk in the late afternoon just as pakarang was turning up for another night duty, and took the desired photo!

After that I went aboard just to cross the fjord back and forth and experience a very different ship than that night in Molde when she seemed so empty and kind of raw and smelt so new. Now Korsfjord is bustling with passengers and there’s sausages and sveler in the cafeteria…I felt quite emotional, for it was the completion for me of those November “Korsfjord Days” when I’d madly rushed around Norway just to catch a sight of the ferry on her maiden voyage.

Friday afternoon/evening is one of the busiest times for the ferry, as I already knew from webcam-watching. So I had not expected on the return crossing from Rørvik that a smart young lad (on his first week or so in the job) would be sent to find me and tell me that the Captain would welcome me up on the bridge!

So here’s pakarang posing serious and concentrating while just about managing to suppress a giggle at my further insistence on 4-stripes photos in case the first hadn’t turned out perfectly!

…and then a huge smile!

Thank you so VERY MUCH for those AWESOME images dearest Lady C!!

PS: Is that the way I look at work....? OOOPSSSSS
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I am also really struck (oops no pun intended!) by the expression on the face of the lady watching, and I’m reminded of the capture from NRK of Captain waving his flag and the expression on the face of the onlookers watching him on that occasion. Truly special family portraits.
              Thank you, Cecilia. The expression on the watcher's face really typified the way we all felt, thoroughly enjoying our time at the forge especially as we had something to take home with us and be proud of.
              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                Wow, now Thijs knows where to go if there is something to fix at his truck if he chrashes against something!!
                Isn't she a really tough girl?!
                Certainly yes, I'll fix the truck up in a trice. And Thijs would have priority, of course.
                But seriously, Ralf, it was the most satisfying of days watching something like a piece of iron gradually taking shape - hopefully. Our instructor was excellent, she looked after me while her partner and an assistant helped the others as we had each chosen something different to make. I certainly never dreamed that I'd ever have the chance to do some forging!
                Last edited by wherrygirl; July 28th, 2011, 23:04.
                Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  Thank you so VERY MUCH for those AWESOME images dearest Lady C!!
                  PS: Is that the way I look at work....? OOOPSSSSS
                  No it isn’t actually!!!!! – those are the ways you look when posing for photos for the family album and/or my how-many-stripes-does-he-have-now photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thrilled you like them as much as I do…but still to come: the ones that show you the way you really look at work….

I’ll try to get them posted later tomorrow (have to go out earlier – our museum here is re-opening after a long period of major refurbishment and tomorrow is party time…a dinosaur on the streets of Edinburgh (weather permitting)…that sort of thing!!!!!!!!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    I run a small poetry group, one member of which is a blacksmith. She recently invited us over to the forge with the opportunity of actually making something if we wished. Yes, I jumped at the chance - of course!

hhmmmm,i rather had seen you making a new horseshoe and place it on his/her hoof
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

This Lady and her entourage was in Singapore a few days ago to join the Crystal Serenity for a cruise to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Hong Kong:

We met up briefly at the Hotel they were staying at.

She will probably post another picture of the meeting later.

PS> I'll post this in the "Lady E is out navigating again"-thread as well for ease of access.
                      Last edited by ombugge; February 27th, 2012, 15:00.

Comment

I can't believe that it is already a week since I returned from den Bosch in the Netherlands after a second really lovely holiday there (last year's photos have still to be posted!) I met up again with Thijs and his family, this time for two weekends of wonderful visits - including the ship chasing at Amsterdam and also the one on Thursday 7 June, when we watched the Queen Mary II until she sailed out past the Hook of Holland.
                        However, I arrived home to find a bit of a domestic disaster had occurred. So each evening I have to remember where I am sleeping that night, as my bedroom is not fit to occupy for a while. This has annoyingly held me up with sorting my photos, for Thijs and I have many to post for all our visits.
                        But meanwhile he has put some beautiful ones of:
                        the Eurodam on the Holland-America Lines thread at http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...9675#post89675 et seq.,
                        the Queen Mary II on that thread at http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...9312#post89312 where he went out to the Hook with Wesley and I think Cornel also, to be there at 7a.m. to see her arrive, then collected me at 5p.m. and we all four went to Rotterdam to chase her out to sea. As Thijs has said, she left over two hours early but because he always likes to get to places in good time to take plenty of close-up detail photos, she was still only moving away from her berth and so we started our chase. I said to Cornel, it was all rather getting to me - snap, snap, snap, manouevre for a better position, more snaps - back into the car, drive off to the next spotting place, tumble out, wait for the QM2 to appear again, more snaps, back into car and so on and so on. Haven't had so much fun for a long time!
                        Then the Brilliance of the Seas on the thread Cruise Ships of the World at http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...9259#post89259 and http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...9642#post89642
                        I also posted my photos of the Brilliance on the same thread at http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...9226#post89226 while I was still in the Netherlands.

I still have my photos of the Eurodam and QM2 to sort and post, and hope to get them on soon, as well as all our other visit photos which we'll put on this thread.

Ralf wasn't with us this time as he was busy searching for Ivy's Bridge, which - from a quick look at his thread - he seems to have found . I will go back and enjoy it fully, Ralf, you must have had a really grand time.
                        Ivy

Comment

One thing I did not mention, and of all our ship spotting it was to me the most moving. I think Thijs would agree. But what it was must wait till we reach that day and I hope that Thijs will let me be the one to post the first pic. Please Thijs?
                          Ivy

Comment

... Ivy's Bridge ...
                            As in ... dental work?
                            ---------------------------
                            Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
                            Deck plan geek.
                            The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Comment

Oh funny man..... .
                              No wonder you don't say where in Hampshire you live, if you always make jokes like that!
                              Ivy

Comment

Oh funny man..... .
                                No wonder you don't say where in Hampshire you live, if you always make jokes like that! [img] ]
                                For a Frenchman this teasing sounds actually exotic.Does Hampshire people suppose to be a bit slow and by the way Suffolk one especially witty?
                                Are there scientific proofs about that?
                                Please learn me....

Comment

Working...
                                X