2014 - the meeting continues: Wherrygirl's 1st stay in Germany

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a nice sunset there Ivy,and nice views.
    but when i can climb into this tower,why not in Bun9ay?
    best regards Thijs

Comment

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      yes i ment you,but then i can take you also in Woerkum up the tower.:-) :-)

• wherrygirl
      wherrygirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, OK. How many steps? I so well remember soon after I joined CVF when you were posting many lovely photos taken from up the tower and looking down at the streets and buildings. I did not know at that time that it would all become very familiar to me at street level!

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      don't know howmany steps Ivy,but halfway is a resting point,but it al goes in a spiral,just as Bun9ay,but a little more space in Woerkum

Bunga.y, where's that?

The following day showed us a gorgeous blue sky, and we were off to see a castle! Ludwigsburg Castle to be precise, about 8 miles/12 Km. north of Stuttgart.
    It is one of the largest Baroque buildings still existing in its original condition - thank goodness it was spared our WW2 bombing. It began as a hunting lodge which Duke Ludwig started building in 1704. Strange how so many of our castles began as hunting lodges, isn't it? Five years later he established Ludwigsburg as the temporary capital of Wurttemburg. Meanwhile the Old Palace in Stuttgart was becoming outdated and the New Palace to replace it was built in the 1740's. The New Palace I saw just after we left the Schillerplatz, but did not take any photographs. Both it and Ludwigsburg Castle remained in use together.
    Come the early 1800's, however, the then monarch preferred his residence to be in Stuttgart where he had two palaces, one of which was Wilhelma, the present-day Zoo and Botanical Gardens where we had recently been.
    So, in the land of castles, Ralf had shown me a very interesting set of three, linked by their progressive use/disuse over the centuries.

First impression of Ludwigsburg Palace, magnificent in size and proportions. Once inside we followed a good tour round - in English. marvellous.

P1180552
    by wherrygirl, on Flickr

Going through the entrance we came out into the courtyard, where the view was of the old State Apartments:

P1180553
    by wherrygirl, on Flickr

Somewhere about now we had a peep into the old theatre, again something to be proud of because it is Europe's oldest preserved example.

Finally out into the street. (I think!)

P1180554
    by wherrygirl, on Flickr
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Once she is in the move, she is proceeding quick! I will deliver now the maps to show our rides:

First the second part of our Wilhelma walk, where we had a coffebreak near the cows. We entered the Zoo through the main entrance and left again through the Northern entrance. The tramway has stops near both entrances so there was no need to walk all the way back.

We took then the tramway to the centre of Weilimdorf, the part of Stuttgart, where i live. We were lucky and had a direct bus connection to a stop near our house.

The distance to the place in the Black Forest, where my parents-in-law have their weekend cottage is about 70km or one hour to drive.
      Since the weather was quite fair i was hoping for some views over to France and we had an impression in the evening mist.

We were lucky in the restaurant, because the cook was serving chars from a nearby lake. This offer is quite seldom, normally he is offering trouts. On the page you can start a nice picture gallery, just click on the arrows.

http://www.gasthof-nagoldquelle.de/impressionen.html

Some of the cottages are rented to tourists, so you can also have an impression here:

http://www.seewald.eu/index.php?id=296&type=98
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Nice pictures from the balcony,with a peaceful atmosphere.
        Black Forrest and Vosges in the other side of the border are very special mountains,not high but full of charm.

Comment

For the tour next day to the castles i won't show the ways we've driven, but the places we visited. Everything is nearby, maximum 15 minutes to drive...

Comment

A short look back on the tower and the sunset.

The picture is not describing, how windy and cold it was. And i underestimated the difficulty for you, Ivy, to climb up and down the 136 steps in dawn, later darkness. But we took our time, went slow and careful and we managed it in the end.

At least we had much less stress than the young couple you mentioned. She was driving (very young and unexperienced) and i have no idea what he did to distract her so severely, that she forgot to steer. When we came back they had managed to call a friend with a second car and he was pulling them out. A few weeks ago i passed the place again and there were no traces at all, so hopefully the damage at the car was harmless. But the guy was so angry at this very first moment, that i decided to move on, prepared to help later, if that is still needed.

Here another picture up there in more than 1.000m height and a cold Eastern wind after a very comfortable day in Wilhelma, one of the warmest places in Stuttgart.

The next day in Ludwigsburg we had post-card weather! Pauline was with us in Ludwigsburg to improve her English while following the English guided castle-tour.

It is always better to imagine the size of a castle if you put a well known person in front.

Comment

Thank you, Thijs and Yves, for your comments. I hadn't realised at the time that we could see over to France, so even in the developing haze and gathering clouds, those far, far distant trees were French ones!
              Ivy

Comment

Now, what about this little beauty?

P1180556
                by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                Ivy

Comment

Sorry at the delay, Ralf, but I have been out of things for a few days.
                  The brilliant, intense blue of the skies that was the background to the images of our Ludwigsburg Castle visit held throughout the day, plus a few pristine clouds as variation during the afternoon. We returned home at midday for yet another delicious meal, then Regine, Ralf and I went off again. In which car we went I can't now remember, nor did I yet know our destination. The drive was a short one, then we pulled off the road and a friend of my hosts appeared with a big smile on his face. Greetings over, he led us round behind some buildings and down towards a shed. I just assumed they had something to discuss before we continued on our journey to.....wherever. In a way that was correct.
                  But in the shed what did I see but a sparkling white Morris Minor 1000 convertible. And behind it a Traveller. One or two members may have read my references to my first 4-wheeled vehicle, my little green Morris bought in 1968 for just over £300/€€380 second-hand. But I had not been taken there just to look at and make admiring noises about it. Oh no, I was asked in which one I would like to go for a drive!
                  It was a conspiracy! Bless them all.
                  Naturally my choice was the convertible. No, not because it was a convertible but because my Morris had been the saloon, not the Traveller and I was simply overjoyed at the idea. Feeling in his pockets, the friend suddenly looked worried. He checked the ignition, searched in the Traveller, looked everywhere but couldn't find the key. Saying it must be at home he drove me back to his house to collect it. I waited while he went indoors and then returned a few moments later with the precious object. As he got in, I held out my hand and said I would take charge of it, no way was I going to miss that drive! Once back, as we walked down to the others I dangled the key high in triumph and their friend quickly showed Ralf round the Morris - that took seconds! Wraps were produced, Ralf and I got in and with that old throaty roar off we went. So familiar was every sound of the engine that I could hardly believe I was in Stuttgart and not on my way to work here in England. What Ralf thought of it he has never yet said!
                  So, again, isn't she a little beauty?

P1180555 by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; December 8th, 2014, 23:24.
                  Ivy

Comment

• janihudi
                    janihudi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    it make you feels like sweet 16 ,Ivy

• wherrygirl
                    wherrygirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Er-rr-rr no, Thijs. I didn't have a gallant boy-friend to take me out in a Morris Minor then! Come to think of it, that was the year it first appeared.

• Seagull
                    Seagull commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What a delightful account of this cunning 'conspiracy' - I can't stop smiling!

We walked up the avenue to Castle Solitude - the building visible in the background.

P1180557
                  by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180559
                  by wherrygirl, on Flickr

Rococo in design, it was built by Duke Karl Eugen in the mid 1700's really as a "quiet place", somewhere to escape to - hence the unusual name. But there were many difficulties - finance, war, the eternal politics, etc. and from being a private place it began to be used to house schools and academies of various kinds. A pupil at one of these schools was Friedrich Schiller. But eventually the building's upkeep was too costly and it closed.
                  An unexpected use of land nearby was as a race track! For 30 years in the 1900's the World Championship of Motorbike Grand Prix racing was held there and even some Formula 1 Grand Prix races took place, although these were "friendlies", not Championship occurrences.
                  The castle was restored in the last century and is now flourishing as the Academie Schloss Solitude, a place where artists of many disciplines can for a time live and work on a fellowship.
                  Ivy

Comment

Since my friend is regularly buying these cars in GB to drive them to Germany, spend a little work on them and sells them again, it has become a very common feeling to me also. It is - for a car of this age - really easy and nice to drive. During our students time we used to own a lot of cars together to save costs like various VW T2 "Bully", a Trabant "Tramp" (the buggy version used by the GSR-army) and a BMW 525 "Derrick"-type. He is continuing this hobby until today and so discussing about car topics fills evenings. His latest buy: a 1961 Cadillac DeVille Sedan.
                    Compared to this, the white Minor Convertible is a "long runner", he is owning it since more than 3 years now! With 48hp you can swim easily with the modern traffic, it is simple made, but solid. If it should happen that you need a spare part, it is easy to get and increadibly cheap. You will attend more attraction than with most luxury or super sport cars and you always will meet smiling faces. Just wonderful!

Regarding Solitude Castle it is important to state that Friedlich Schillers father used to be the chief gardener up there. Since my wife's family name is also Schiller, we feel close connected to this place.

Comment

What a delightful account of this cunning 'conspiracy' - I can't stop smiling!
                      Thank you, Cecilia. It was a delightful occasion, as were all my other days in Germany. But what made this special was the image of Ralf getting together with his friend, telling him about my enthusiasm for my little old car and saying, "Now, G.... what about me bringing Ivy round here and taking her for a drive in one of these? But shh-hh, I won't say anything about it to her, just between you and us, eh?" Both of them cooking up this surprise for me. I think G.... was tickled pink at my reaction.

And Ralf, I'm glad you approve of the Morris Minor. I must have said it somewhere on another thread but it is what I call a mechanical car, kept moving by simple things that you could see, touch, repair or replace. If you wanted the window down you took hold of the handle and wound it, no pressing a button on the door. If you wanted to adjust the wing mirror position you got out and yanked it round instead of adjusting a knob on the door. The heating was adjusted by a slider, just that, no Climate Control like my swanky little Seat Special which also chimes at me if it decides the roads outside may be icy. And woe betide you if you forgot to top up the radiator and oil and check the battery. AND it never locked me inside like the %$£&^%%£ little Seat did a year or so ago.
                      The other day on Thijs' Highway Cruiser thread we were talking about oil usage by modern cars and I said I never check mine, and gave up checking the Polo's years ago. Other members joined in and said the same. But one absolutely fascinating fact I did not mention. In my garden shed, which is actually the old wash-house, brick built with a pantile roof and very damp, I keep a carton of Castrol GTX engine oil. Why? I use it to lightly smear my tools after each use so that they don't rust. But it was not bought for that! It must be around 1980 vintage, and was either for the Morris or for the VW Polo which I bought that year and assumed would also need oil. I must be getting near the bottom of the carton, but it's done an excellent job all these years.
                      Ivy

Comment

We went through the archway that you see in #115.2 and came out upon this glorious view right across Stuttgart:

P1180560
                        by wherrygirl, on Flickr

And a closer look:

P1180561
                        by wherrygirl, on Flickr

Stuttgart lies in a basin - Ralf has already mentioned how the city can become very hot and sultry in summer, and this viewpoint was one of several that we visited. So I had an interesting series of panoramas from high places around the rim of the basin.
                        Ivy

Comment

We walked back around the side of the castle and down to the car. Ah no! not just "the car"! We strolled to the MORRIS MINOR, casually got in, wrapped ourselves up snugly, then drove off with appropriate engine noises to the Birkenkopf.
                          This was another viewpoint, but one with a difference - a big difference as I'll explain tomorrow.

P1180562 by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; December 9th, 2014, 12:16.
                          Ivy

Comment

Arrived at another viewpoint we walked along the gently rising path as it wound up the hill, until near the top I could see a pile of large, roughly broken pieces of stonework.

P1180563 by wherrygirl, on Flickr

As we approached I realised what it must be - the smashed pieces of what were once buildings of the city of Stuttgart, probably the result of bombing raids in WW2. And yes, there was the plaque which confirmed it:

P1180564 by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                            This mountain piled up from the rubble of the city after the second world war, stands as a memorial to the victims and a warning to the living.

P1180565 by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180566 by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                            Ivy

Comment

Working...
                            X