No announcement yet.

2014,the third CV Family meeting in Noord Brabant the Netherlands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A display of many kinds of baskets, casks and a float used in fishing.

P1180320
    by wherrygirl, on Flickr

Any fishermen around? Can you tell me what the elegantly shaped basket on the table at the left is used for, also the small one in the wheelbarow over to the right, looking rather like a wine glass?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

A zalmschouw, the boat used for salmn fishing. Although that fish is no longer to be seen in local waters, the boats are still used for other catches. At the Woudrichem festival in 2012 to which Thijs took me, there was a really interesting demonstration of them catching fish and passing it to the mother boat. See here.

P1180311
      by wherrygirl, on Flickr
      Ivy

Comment

The one that didn't get away!
        A sturgeon:

P1180318
        by wherrygirl, on Flickr

When we had first gone into the museum, there was a talk and video for a group of schoolchildren, so we joined them, sitting on the back bench. In front of us were a couple of girls who seemed to have other things to do, and I doubt if they learnt much about the fishing in Woudrichem! But after they had gone and we had the place to ourselves, I asked if we could see the video again, and was lent a translation so that I could follow it well.
        The time for Ralf and Regina's arrival was drawing nearer, so the museum visit ended the first part of my stay in the Netherlands.
        Ivy

Comment

after this museum we went to a garden center,and wait for Ralf and Regina.
          and when they called we went to the hotel Woudrichem.
          BTW the hotel is closed.bankrupsythe renter never paid his rent,so the owner throw him out.
          a new buyer is stepped back as wel.
          and then the same problem came up again.
          al restaurants where closed,including bars.
          only place to eat was the pizzeria and the ice salon.
          Woerkum,a bad place on a theusday if you are a alcoholic.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

I'm not surprised the hotel closed under the chap who was there when I stayed.
            a new buyer is stepped back as wel.
            Do mean a new buyer or a new renter? Poor Johanna and the other girl will be out of a job now. They were very nice, I got on well with them.
            I hope that the hotel will continue in business in some way, for I keep it in the back of my mind as a possible.....just in case! But not for you to worry about how I move around, with the ferry I can soon get back to civilisation and from there taxi and trains to everywhere.
            Ivy

Comment

There are news from end of August, that the hotel is sold and will be refurbished. Is that also "cold coffee" now? BTW, i am back from business and can join the report during the next weeks!
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ralf, welcome back. Just in time to join the thread with your account and photos of your time in Woudrichem.
                Ivy

Comment

So that day we started at fairly nice weather in Stuttgart (as we mostly have) and that changed dramatically, when we came to the Cologne area and were approaching Holland. Floods of rain poured down and slowed our ride. Coming near Woudrichem i was struggling with my nav, which tried very hard not to send me the way i wanted to go. Finally i realised that it mixed up the address with a completely different one in a nearby town. Therefore i was influenced by some roadworks, which Thijs had announced and i wanted to avoid on "my" route. Arrrgh! Finally i switched off the nav and found my way without it. Rain, rain, rain in Woudrichem, but the hotel room was perfect. Here you can see the view directly out of our window: The well known historic port in front of us.

Traffic on the river keeps on going here day and night. Nice to identify the ships with marine traffic, while you can see them passing by.

The only thing to critisize in our room was the position of the bed. It was a little bit too low to be able to watch the ships from there. We would put it on a podium.

Comment

They removed the oven, which would have been very cozy in this weather. We did not use the TV, because the traffic on the big screen in front of the window was much better. But with bed on the podium, i would use it as monitor for marine traffic. The balcony would have been the perfect place for sitting and chatting in the evening, but it was raining too hard and so we tried to join in Woudrichems nightlife.

But first we complete the description of the hotel room. There was a big sliding door leading in the bathroom. With this door open, you don't even miss a ship while brushing your theeth!

Quod erat demonstrandum.

I hope this nice house will continue as a hotel. However, with such small number of rooms you need the restaurant business. But this should work out with this nice garden and the special atmosphere of a former post office. I would like very much to come back one day. And on Mondays and Tuesdays, this place is without real competitors in a wide area, as we had to learn!

Comment

Oh Ralf, it was such a shame that you had a poor welcome, weatherwise. Mine couldn't have been better, as I showed in #12 and #13.
                      I, too, very much hope that the ex post office re-opens as a hotel. Let's hope that the news you gave in #261 is the latest, we must see what Thijs says. I know I shall return there one day, Woerkum draws me back, back, back to itself all the time. And yes, the hotel most certainly does need to have that restaurant and bar open, I was taken aback when I arrived and he announced that the restaurant was closed.
                      We did not use the TV, because the traffic on the big screen in front of the window was much better.
                      Oh how I agree. On opening the door into my room that first day Thijs and I went straight to the door on to the balcony, and there we stayed for ages, chatting and taking it all in. Each morning I was out there again! I used the TV just to try and find the station with the weather forecast, but not very successfully!
                      Ivy

Comment

the man that rented the building haddn't paid for years,and that what he paid was only a part of a month.
                        the building owner closed it now,and sold it.
                        the new name would be ''De Zoen van Woudrichem''
                        as in De verZOENing tussen Jacoba van Beieren and her uncle Jan VI van Beieren in 1419.

in the reconciliation of peace treaty between Jacoba of Bavaria and her uncle JanVI of Bavaria.

but the latest what i heard was that the new owner stepped back.

the webside is the same as of the hotel,but with the new name.but couldend get it in English or German.
                        so i/we have to wait what will happen.

but that the restaurant was closed was because of the production company of the TV serie Dokter Tinus (which btw started season three last wednesday) had made a holiday in there filming schedule.so no actors or filmingcrew members in the rooms,and to short of day to get new guests in them,so he send the cook home for 2 weeks.

so i also know now that there is no nightlife in Woerkum.but this was a problem during al days Ivy was there.
                        but anyway we had meet each other,so we did not died of hunger.
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

After I had returned to England, I found that a guest said in one of the reviews about the hotel (not on their website) that unfortunately the restaurant was closed. The review was not for the period that I was there, it was earlier, so it was not just because of the filming of Dr. Tinus, Thijs. If you advertise on your website that your hotel has a restaurant, then no matter whether the hotel is full or whether there is only one guest, that restaurant must be open. That was the reason I booked there. I would have been quite happy to order what I wanted for dinner before I left each morning.
                          Further, the tale about the Dr. Tinus holiday does not ring true. They are not suddenly going to take two weeks holiday in the middle of filming and cancel their hotel bookings without warning, just like that.
                          Nightlife? Who wants that? Not the sort of people who stay in Woerkum. And we always found somewhere nice to eat in the evening.
                          Jacoba van Beieren, that's the statue by the Prisoners Gate, isn't it?
                          Ivy

Comment

Truely nightlife is a big word for the needs we had this evening. We wanted just to have a place for a simple dinner, a nice chat and a cool beer for the alcoholic of the gang.
                            I was prepared for the "Pannekoeken Boat", but i mixed up the day of the week and it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays (it was Tuesday).
                            Same story with "De Stroming", "t Oude Raedthuys", "Bal-Dadig", "Gefangenpoort", "Kruijden & Jasmijn" and as well the hotel. So we finished our search in "Üsküdars Döner Pizza Shoarma", where the food was really okay, but the atmosphere was not cozy and -- most important -- THEY HAD NO BEER! Several other tries in the old town were unsuccessful: "De Teerkammer" had a closed society, "t'Hoeckse" was closed as well. We just managed to get the last icecream in "Ijs & Spijssalon Baks", but they were also about to close, no sit-in here possible anymore. So Thijs, our genious guide, took us by car to the town and sports hall/centre (for members only) and declared, that CaptainsVoyage members are members there as well. And so i got, after a several hour lasting odyssey my Dutch beer!! Thank you so much, Thijs. The advantage now is: you can put me with closed eyes elsewhere in Woudrichem, i will find my way. But please, don't do that on Mondays or Tuesdays.

Of course i was completely focussed on that beer and so i had no time to take any pictures that evening, so if you have some, please post these now.

Comment

sorry Ralf,after our visit to the fishingmuseum,i didn't touch the camera anymore
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

No further additions from Ivy. She followed my search with patience, i bet she would have been totally happy with a chat in the hotel room and a glass of water, but this young guy....

Well, the next morning she was waiting for us:

Ivy and me wanted to come back and finish our tour round the ship. The last time it was late in the day and the time permitted "only" a walk through the passenger areas and the bridge, means the upper decks. Now we wanted to see the parts deep down in the hull, which request an extra ticked and a guided tour.

So we bought the tickets, received our multi-language-selection of audio guides ("we need all of them!") and started a walk through the well known sections, which however were new for Regine.
                                Very soon we were called for the guided tour downstairs to the former pool area deep under the waterline. The air was sticky there and the scenery quite spooky. Here you could get the first impression, that an old ship in this size and condition will never sail again! All my photo tries there failed due to the poor light, so maybe Thijs can help out with the pool room. Ivy suddenly felt very insane there and we learned, that she is suffering claustophobia attacks from time to time. So Thijs returned with her to lighter, fresher and wider areas, and then he returned. The guide was so polite to wait for him. So in the following posts we will show Ivy, what she missed. The air became fresher and the rooms wider, but we felt that it would have been no good idea to "force" Ivy through these lower decks. So Thijs, please start with your pictures, i will fill in mine then.

Comment

• janihudi
                                  janihudi commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  oke,but no rush please.
                                  have been the last few days on my spottingplace at the waterway in Rotteram,the last one before the sea.
                                  so many images of vessels,stil have the Bun9ay thread aswel.
                                  i'm feeling that it is growing above my head.
                                  and last but not least,this weekend in Giessen Holland it's the annual market and fair.so be there aswel.
                                  but i have a few from the inside .

• Sigve
                                  Sigve commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  What a nice ship! When I see this pictures, I think of old Oslofjord, Bergensfjord, Vistafjord and Sagafjord. They must come from the same designer...?
                              Working...
                              X