Clear All

We went below decks.

P1180275
    by wherrygirl, on Flickr

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Penetrating further, we realised how very cramped were the living quarters of so many men. I certainly learnt the hard way, for having adopted a semi-crouching position as I ducked beneath the beams in the very dim light available, I misjudged the point where I could emerge and stand upright again. Yes, CRACK! And more than once!

P1180276
      by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180292
      by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180287
      by wherrygirl, on Flickr
      Ivy

Comment

Looks like the galley!

P1180283
        by wherrygirl, on Flickr

The final photo I took down below before climbing up to the deck where I could stand up straight without a thump. .

P1180295
        by wherrygirl, on Flickr

How Thijs managed down there I can't imagine!
        Ivy

Comment

One last look at the Batavia from on board.

P1180298 by wherrygirl, on Flickr

There is something else I want to show you, though, before we leave the ship. That I shall post tomorrow.
          Ivy

Comment

somehow must Ivy did not seen this sign,hearing al the ''booingggggg'' below deck.

best regards Thijs

Comment

one of the aft toilets.

and with a view.

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

on this deck where Ivy couldend walk straight up, where many many soldiers for weeks,with just 1 or 2 hours a day to go out on deck.
                  they keept them here so that there won't be a fight between crew and soldiers.

btw Ivy i got a claim of the yard,because they had found out that you had made al the dents in the wood.

you have (maybe) seen the stern latarn,her the bowsprit.
                  now you have seen seen my images of the front and aft, in and out of the vessel

best regards Thijs

Comment

I promised you a view of "something else" today. Here it is, then, situated on a spur of land running parallel with the ship, a strange tangled blur in the distance:

P1180258 by wherrygirl, on Flickr

Then I zoomed in and although its construction was now clear I was still at a loss as to what the artist intended it to represent. Yes, I know what it looks like and Thijs politely called it "The Sitting Man", but with a grin immediately repeated it with one minor adjustment. Local people have their own title for it, too! The figure is by Antony Gormley, one of six artists contributing to the Land Art Project by each placing a work of art in Flevoland, the 12th province in The Netherlands which came into existence in 1986. The Flevopolder is the most recent of the polders created by the enclosure of the Zuider Zee early in the last century and although actually an island it is joined to the mainland by bridges.
                    The official title of this Gormley piece is "Exposure". I'll just accept that without query, I think!
                    The inspiration for the method of construction apparently came from the multitude of electricity pylons that Gormley saw stretching across Flevoland and certainly their shapes can be seen in the make-up of the sculpture. Whence came the idea for the figure itself I do not know. Its size can be judged by the minute human figure on a bike at the far right.

P1180259 by wherrygirl, on Flickr

What is so very annoying is that when approaching the replica Batavia it is really difficult to get a view of the ship without Gormley's heap of pylons visible in the background.
                    Ivy

Comment

Thijs, great photos of yours. It always strikes me that, wherever we go, I see images of yours that immediately make me think "Now why didn't I take something like that."
                      Tell them that I'm sorry about all the dents - but I have such a hard head.
                      Ivy

Comment

not i called it like that,that is the common name for it,the nickname however is just to add a h somewhere in the name.guess where??
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

well maybe you where not on the places where i came,and you just can only place images of your self ,like i can place them of you.
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

In English, yes. But I saw the Dutch equivalent poepende man here.
                            Ivy

Comment

2 images i forgot.
                              i told Ivy about the ''al mens end'' a rope with a the end a brush.
                              she didn't believe me for what it was used.

the 2 red boxes,the crew toilets on the bow,with the ropes through it.(in the foreground)

and the ropes end here in the water,so it would be ''cleaned'' by the water for the next ''S(h)itting man''.

(yes there are 2 ropes,but perfectly lined up)
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

there was also a forge.

but now they stop building the ''7 provincien'' they are only making this kind of stuff and for repairs.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X