• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

meanwhile we went to the other side of the Railway,so that we had a free view.
        and they are back.

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

Just three more for the train buffs:

P1180164
                by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180169
                by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180064
                by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Apart from the next three photos I am not putting on anything more from Dordt in Stoom as that was well documented in our previous thread for 2012. For us it was exciting to see it again, but it would only bore members. I'm showing these photos because the name of the engineering firm - G. Burrell & Sons - just might crop up in Thijs' thread about the wonderful weekend my Dutch family and I have just enjoyed together.
                  Wait and see!

P1180085
                  by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180089
                  by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180087
                  by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                  Ivy

Comment

Meanwhile, in the tranquility of the morning, immediately after breakfast back at the Hotel Woudrichem and before a certain someone came hammering on my door I had taken these photos from my balcony.

P1180155
                    by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180158
                    by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180159
                    by wherrygirl, on Flickr
                    Ivy

Comment

P1180160
                      by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180163
                      by wherrygirl, on Flickr

I don't know why, but this small fortified city not much bigger than an English village, captured my heart right from the beginning when Thijs was taking Ralf and I around it in 2011. It seems to be a world on its own and, despite being on the banks of a great river, unconnected with anywhere else.
                      Ivy

Comment

Recently there seem to have been several unusual coincidences in my life, to do with vessels. One concerned the photo I took of the HLC Fjord in the Waalhaven, Rotterdam further back in this thread. Ombugge commented, giving a link to a site which gave details of the Fjord's cargo - the "topsides" for oil platforms in the North Sea, and I found that the living quarters module was built here in Lowestoft at Sembmarine SLP.
                        The other two link a disappointing visit to the Western Australian National Maritime Museum in Fremantle in 2007 with a very satisfying one at Lelystad with Thijs last May, and something unexpectedly seen there which refers back to the small town of Southwold which my Dutch family and I went to last Sunday. At least, not the town itself but the seas off its shores.
                        More later.
                        Ivy

Comment

One of the things I had wanted to see while in the Netherlands was the Cube Houses site in Rotterdam, and I asked Thijs if it would be possible to visit them. As you will have seen, we did go and have posted plenty of photos showing these unusual constructions. (I said further back: "The more I see of Rotterdam the more fascinated I am by it, maybe if ERNIE comes up I'll buy one of those Cube Houses after all - for short stays." Well, ERNIE sent me £25 yesterday, but I told it that it's just not good enough, I need MORE!)
                          However, there was something else I wanted to see - the replica of the 17th century sailing ship Batavia at Lelystad, north east of Amsterdam.
                          In 2007, while in Western Australia, I was roaming Fremantle one day and thought I'd visit the Maritime Museum there. Browsing information posters I started to read about the Batavia, built in the Netherlands in the 1620's, setting off to Java on its maiden voyage but unfortunately wrecked on an island off the WA coast. The Captain, some of his officers and a few passengers left the others on board and went off in search of water. Meanwhile, back on the ship, general mayhem erupted. On the voyage out one or two of the crew had already been planning a mutiny after working up some false accusation of unfairness on the part of the captain and now they took over the ship, butchering many of the people remaining on board. It was three months before the captain returned, but he immediately proceeded to mete out justice and most of the mutineers were executed. Altogether 200 out of the original 316 people on board the Batavia lost their lives one way or another.
                          Reading all these gory details in the museum I hastened upstairs to the Batavia Room, looking forward to seeing what there was of the old ship where all this had occurred and where my imagination could run riot. The room was shut. Closed for maintenance, said the notice. My bloodthirsty hopes had been thwarted.

Given the exploits of the transportation of the hull of the old clipper City of Adelaide, it will come as no surprise to learn that the Batavia replica was taken by barge to Australia in 1999 and moored in the National Maritime Museum at Sydney where she became the flagship for the Dutch team in the 2000 Olympics. While there she was launched and, yes, she sailed. The following year she was taken back to Lelystad. Who needs the Dockwise Vanguard?!

I don't remember now how I discovered that there was a replica of the Batavia in the Netherlands, but I was delighted at the coincidence and asked Thijs if it might be possible to see it. He added it to his list of things to see and, bless him, took me there.

P1180220 by wherrygirl, on Flickr

The main and fore masts were lost in a severe storm in the winter of 2011/2012 and have not been completely replaced.

Two sites give you some information about the Batavia:
                          http://museum.wa.gov.au/research/col...wrecks/batavia This gives the history of the ship and also of its discovery.

www.bataviawerf.nl This comes up in Dutch, but click the Union Jack at the top and the English translation is given.

So, on the Monday after the Dordrecht Steam Festival, off we went. However, on arrival at the Batavia shipyard I found that there was another replica to see first, though only half-built. And that was the next coincidence.
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; August 22nd, 2014, 23:49.
                          Ivy

Comment

There it was, a half-completed replica of the Dutch Admiral Michiel de Ruyter's 17th century flagship "De Zeven Provincien".

P1180203
                            by wherrygirl, on Flickr

P1180205
                            by wherrygirl, on Flickr

As to the coincidence, de Ruyter's flagship was engaged in the well-known Battle of Sole Bay in 1672, involving the French and English fleets against the Dutch. Sole Bay is off the coast at Southwold, which I featured all too briefly in my Wanderings thread, and which you may see in another thread one day.
                            The Batavia shipyard is a charity, giving work experience and training to young people and those who are long-term unemployed. After I have shown photos of our climb all over the flagship above then there will be a few images taken inside the workshop.
                            Ivy

Comment

as we have been and seen on the ''batavia'' there wasn't much livingspace for the 316 sailers and soldiers on board.
                              pitty that she had her masts back that she lost in the storm.bad luck again for you Ivy.

such a wast of time and money that they had put into the replica of the ''7 provincien'',
                              wood that in a few years not even be good enough for a fireplace.
                              Last edited by janihudi; August 17th, 2014, 14:47.
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

I'll be putting on my photos of our exploration of the Batavia, Thijs, and it will show how cramped were the living spaces (as I know to my cost, more than once . But first I'm showing De Zeven Provincien.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X