No announcement yet.

Members not seen for a while

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I look in most days but have been struck by the fact that there have been no new posts. Not from me either, I admit. I intend to do a new thread on my trip to the USSR years ago, which, although it has no photos at all, things like my happy encounters with various Russians may interest some. The idea to post it was sparked off by Yves' great thread on his river trip to Russia recently. I will get going on it soon. But will there be anyone around to read it?
    Also Nari hasn't posted for ages. I sent her a message via CVF some time ago because I was concerned over how things were in her area with the terrible bush fires. But there has been no reply.
    Anyway, Good-day, Ombugge, how are you doing? Are you in Norway or Singapore? Was the New Year celebrated in the latter as usual or was it cancelled as in much of China?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I'm here too - but nothing particularly exciting to share!

I am missing the Svalbard programme a lot though, was very happily plodding around on Spitsbergen. Found that I sat down for 5 minutes, and realised the time 1/2 hour later.

Re Ombugge's post, won't be long before all of Singapore is MRT!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Like Mark, I'm still here but Nothing exiting in my every day life to share….
        Of course I had a look to NRK programme. Great scenaries and atmosphere. Like to ear norwegian even though I can't understand.
        Waiting for your trip in USSR, Ivy.

Comment

I'm here..., several times pr. day. But no new comments, no new postings, no new nothing.
          Try to make some traffic in her by posting from the city, a bit on the ferry thread, and a fe other places.
          It's kind of, not sad, but a time for reflection when some say there's not happening anything interesting to share..., I mean; in life? Is life that dull?
          Oh, anyway, I'm not the one to have any thoughts about what others should or should not do.
          As I said many times, I'm a little bit saddened by the way CVF has turned out, not how it is or what content there is, but when it comes to activity.

Have a nice day folks, and take a look at our two great live cams on YouTube (Live cam Kristiansund). M/S Black Watch is in harbor today and thus start the cruise season 2020 in this city

(Why there's no picture from me on that 'exiting' thing? My car is at the garage for a heavy service today and my Pentax is left at home).
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Dull ??? Absolutely not.These days I read again La Fontaine and it's a great pleasure that delight me. But it's not easy to photograph that.

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              No, dull is not the correct word, but as 'nothing exiting' came up, I could not find another ;-)
              But, you (we all) don't need to do photography and post pictures to make others satisfied..., write a story, write a poem or something.
              CVF might not be like we know it from the "old days", but I'll do my part :-D

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              See my post above at #106, Svein.

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Post #106 is read ;-)
              Even Norway is a direct neighbor to Russia, up north, I don't know very much about the country, the culture or people.
              The other way (U.S.A), I could describe a street in any small city, I know about the geography, I know cities, a bit about politics, I can name several former presidents in a correct order and so on, and so on.
              In Russia, I mostly know of Moscow and Murmansk.
              So your story might be an eye opener to many of us who never had the interest enough to check out Russia even on Google Earth.
              (But they kind of did it to themselves, closing themselves in like they have done for decades, specially in the time of being Sovjet Union)

Thank you, Sterkoder, for the message of Black Watch in the harbour. Unfortunately she has left already. But i am sure there will be a day, when you have your Pentax and can freeze such a moment.
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Since the last days are again very quiet in here, i did some statistics to get an idea what is going on.

We have 487 names in our member file.
              377 of them have just created an account, but do not use it, their sign in was the only visit in the forum.
              77 have been active members or at least readers for a while.
              33 members are more or less active now.
              So it has always been a small active community.

But some of the active members are meanwhile posting daily on Facebook, but do not share these events or chats here in the forum.
              That is a pity, traffic is moving away from here, because these belong to the most active forum members.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                But some of the active members are meanwhile posting daily on Facebook, but do not share these events or chats here in the forum.
                I'm very surprised at the long absence of two members in particular. Or perhaps not! Anyway, it shows where their hearts lie.

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree, Ralf. I had two tries at Facebook years ago. I do a great deal of family history research and as a result of my adventures in Western Australia, when my Aussie friend and his wife took me to explore the semi desert to find the old telegraph station at Mundiwindi where my uncle Will had once worked, I discovered a distant cousin in Plumstead, London. He was living only a few streets away from where I was born and grew up. He told me that he was trying to set up a Bowden group on Facebook - Bowden was my mother's maiden name and I have traced that lot back to the late 17th century. He asked if I would be interested in joining. Thinking that it would probably lead to some more interesting discoveries to add to our family tree, I agreed.
                  So what happened? Plenty of responses arrived, yes. And what had they to say? Brief banal comments like "Yes, I'm a Bowden, isn't it great!" "Hallo everyone, my name is Bowden, too." Not one ever contributed anything to further our research nor indicated that they could join in our research. But I found one person whose grandfather was already on my tree and about whom I had some unusual information about his death (which my mother had told me). I told her about this and she was surprised as I was the only person she had met who had this particullar piece of info. I perked up, she would probably be a great help.
                  But no. All she was interested in was giving daily reports on how well she was doing in some online game. Absolutely nothing else .After waiting a while, I decided to quit. Some time later I had another try and rejoined. (Yes, contrary to their promises, all my details were still there and had never been erased! There was nothing all that personal, just name, email address possibly (can't remember!), and interests.) But again nothing had arrived on the Bowden info. Eventually I gave up for good.
                  A mine of intellectual exchange???? Not in my experience. I think it's main value is where people have many close friends and family members who are not seen very often, but with whom you want to keep in regular contact and update them on your doings, while enjoying the same news from them. Just casual chit-chat.

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly. I made very similar experiences with school mates, when i was researching adresses for a jubilee some years ago.

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree. FB can be useful from time to time to keep in touch with people you met, you appreciate for some reasons but you're not close to. As says Ralf, "hey i'm here and you too" is a good definition.

I must admit that I am one of those who have been absent from CVF for some time.
                The reason was the Photobucket issue. Much work spoiled. That was hard to swallow, and I didn't find Flickr as a good alternative.
                In the meantime I went to Facebook, where I posted on my own account, and on the "Hurtigruten venner" and "Hurtigruten history".
                I have missed, however, the "family feeling" that I had here on CVF.
                Now I'm making a new try, with the "Sigve's New Gallery". I hope you'll enjoy it!
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---
                IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Nice to see you again onboard Sigmund.

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you so much, Sigve!

Well, personally I still boycott Facebook. I haven't been very active here as I didn't have anything in particular to contribute lately, but I often check what's going on (mostly not logged in). As I just read the (hopefully) good news on Ragnvald Jarl here, this was a motivation to sign in and post in that thread. Also, I might post an update on the Lake Lucerne steamers soon...

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, Gestumblindi and we are looking forward to that.

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh good. be lovely to see them.
              Working...
              X