X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Members not seen for a while

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
    Hi, Ombugge, I'm still alive!

Haven't looked in for a little while. Just checked the update on HMS Killham. Not sure of what to make about the interest from the potential buyer. However, she appears to be underused at present looking at the recent photos.

Thanks for asking. I'll try to look in more frequently.

Best wishes to all.

Paul.
    I may have viewed your posts in the wrong order.
    Nice to see you are still active.

Comment

Another long standing member that have been absent for quite a while is HurtigruteMartin.
      Has he gone missing into the FB crowd or lost interest in our friendly forum.
      Anybody know his status???

Comment

Jan Martin is definitively alive, I think he has been quite occupied with his interest to sports and football, supporting his team and so on. I believe he'll get back when things get a bit more quiet?

Comment

Don't be alarmed, our friend is just fine.
          He's enjoying summer in Kristiansand in his new boat, a Wiking 21.

As for the FB part, aren't we all on FB soon?
          I did not like FB, but felt forced to go there if I would have contact with prople.
          FB is a bad thing for CVF, that's for sure, but that discussion has nothing to do in this thread ;-)
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            FB is a bad thing for CVF, that's for sure
            we are dooing this to ourselves
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
              we are dooing this to ourselves
              I agree with you Thijs, but what can we do...., sit in here all alone, we 10-12 who are in here?
              Don't know about others, but I often visit here only to find 'Sterkoder' active, and I'm to young to sit and talk to myself...
              Last edited by Sterkoder; July 31st, 2013, 20:31.
              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

i have the same with that,only me and also to young,but if we keep sailing this way it wil be over in a short time.
                we lost a lot of members which where Always in for a post and reply,even our captain lost our sinking ship.
                but we al have to put our shoulders under CV to keep her floating.
                and yes i am also a fb member,but it is nice for little conversation (mostly family and collegeau's),but didn't found the fun as here.
                a lot of fb groups are from trucks and modelbuilding,but no fun to follow building projects there,it's the way of replying i don't like.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Well, you both know my thoughts on the matter. Days go by and there is nothing new. It is obvious from the occasional remark that quite often pictures are shown first on FB and then - perhaps - on CVF. I said elsewhere only a day or two ago, that CVF used to be fun, full of interest, members joined in things, talked to each other, made jokes. There were discussions, exciting new threads arose, many of them non-ship-orientated but reflecting someone's particular interest or bright idea, and others jumped in with their photos on the topic. Now I look sadly at the Photo Assignments thread with so few people posting in them.
                  I think back to my early days on CVF when I had discovered a whole new world. No, not discovered, for I was invited in on the strength of my journey on the Kong Olav and my photos of that trip seen on Flickr. But having arrived I was overwhelmed at the warmth I found there, and rapidly made several friends with whom I shared interests and bandied repartee.
                  Yes, those days were such great fun. Family was the word often used to describe us, and that's how it was. But not now. There was a triple birthday recently, wasn't there? Two of the three people expressed their appreciation of our greetings, keeping up the family feeling. The third?
                  but we al have to put our shoulders under CV to keep her floating.
                  Yes, Thijs, but for those few it is hard work. I try to post things, but few see them. I try to look at others' posts, and comment, but do not do as much as I feel I should because it takes time out of other things I should be doing. Whereas if there were many other members around, all commenting on and enjoying each others posts I wouldn't feel so bad about not doing enough myself. It's dispiriting.
                  And I am very, very sad, for I have lost something I had begun to value deeply. My first action after breakfast each day used to be to rush to the computer, to see what new things had been posted, sure that I'd find plenty to amuse and interest me. Now, I boot up, thinking "Oh well, I might as well check - you never know, something might be there."
                  It so rarely is.
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; July 31st, 2013, 22:55. Reason: typo
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yes we can all see the family shrinking in here. As a non-FBer I don't see what is going on in that parallel universe, and I don't intend to join in.

I also notice that I'm most of the time the only member on line when I open CVF in the morning. That may have to do with the time difference of 6-8 hrs. to Europe and 12 hrs. to EST in the US.

The number of guests are sometime over 100, but how many of those are actual people, not automatic attempts at breaking in, or tracking, I don't know.

Most of the activity on CVF happens during the night here, so I usually see some new posts first ting in the morning. I usually read ALL new posts, but admit that I don't normally comment just for the sake of commenting, only when I have something to say.

I usually leave CVF open at all times during the day when I'm home, even if I'm busy writing Reports, Procedures or Manuals, or active on other sites. Looking in occasionally (when I need a break from what I'm doing) to see if there is anything happening.

It is a pity to see this friendly forum go down the drain. I have been an active member since March 2009, with nearly 8,500 posts to my credit and rewarded with the illustrious title of CV Commodore.

The few really active members here (10-15) can of cause keep the Forum afloat for a while but, as pointed out by others, it will eventually die from lack of interest if no new blood is added, or old active members start to take an interest again.

I have been posting links to CVF on other forum from time to time, but don't know if that has brought in any new active members.

PS> I notice that a lot of the "guests" are "registering". Is this spammers, just like the ones with funny nicks, or could there be some genuine new members there?
                    The last new member was accepted 30. May, 2013. Is that because the Administrator has been absent, or is there nobody worthy of acceptance??
                    Last edited by ombugge; August 1st, 2013, 05:38. Reason: Add PS

Comment

A pointer to the leaching away of members is the statistic at the bottom of the main index page. I don't know what algorithm is used to arrive at the figure representing the number of active members, but it is interesting to note that the figure today is 57. How that figure is arrived at goodness knows, there are certainly not that number of members posting regularly - would that it were - but it is very interesting to remember that from the time I joined in February 2010 until, say, a year ago, that statistic was always in the top 90's. The principle is there, the number of members posting has almost halved.
                      Ivy

Comment

And don't forget that the current summer/vacation period also is drawing down activity quite much.

Personally I use FB mostly to keep in touch with my "ordinary friends", old school mates and similar. CVF is a very special thing, and at least I try to primarily communicate with you here on the forum.
                        What we need is a bunch of new great fresh members that can bring in some new stuff for discussions, but this is something that J-O really needs to dig into.

Comment

The drain has been noticeable for a long time, Tommi, holidays may exacerbate it but it goes back further than that.

but this is something that J-O really needs to dig into.
                          But Tommi, I don't think it is something which should be dependent on one person, whether he/she is the administrator or not. A thriving, busy, informative and interesting group will always attract those of similar interests. Since I joined I have learned quite a lot in areas where previously I knew nothing or little. So my interests have broadened. Not that I don't have a very full list of interests and hobbies already! CVF is not my life, by any means, but it has (or had) added a fascinating new dimension, and new friends, to it.
                          I have had two goes at FB, the first time for a specific family tree orientated reason, then the second when it seems that J.O.'s contact list got hijacked and everyone in it received an invitation to join. Each time I got out. For the reasons you give I should imagine it is fine. But otherwise CVF used to win hands down.
                          No, it is up to existing members to make it live, and thrive. But apparently many members have lost interest.
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            But Tommi, I don't think it is something which should be dependent on one person, whether he/she is the administrator or not.
                            I fully agree on that.
                            However, all members are approved by the administrator, and our newest member joined in May. That's a little too low rate to keep the kettle boiling and evolving.

Comment

Hi there, all what we can do is to continue. It is clear that a lot of threads are loosing interest because all is posted about f.e. the Hurtigruten ships.
                              Maybe we should be creative and search for new topics. All of us stepped in here looking for information about something special. And the most new ideas were thrown in by our Captain.
                              And - it has been always a problem, when the multi-poster pakarang is out. He alone signed half of the total amount of posts and he kept things going, commenting everything. But this costs a lot of time, time we all often not have. Additionally Cecilia is obviously going through some difficult days and is also not posting as much as we are used to.
                              So don't claim, try! Count the threads of pakarang, which had no single answer and don't be frustrated if it is similar with many of your tries. Maybe you have to try five to hit one.
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Regarding Facebook: I will never be there, as I find the enterprise deeply disagreeable. They're too data-hungry for my taste and trying to make money of everything they know about you. So, I boycott Facebook. People keep telling me that I should be there, but I simply say no! So, if this forum were closed in favor of communication via Facebook, personally I would have lost an information and communication platform I find still very helpful, even if there's not a lot of activity. And I would still boycott Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                X