No announcement yet.

members name and what do it means

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think explaining my username is really necessary, since it is simply my initials and surname, as most would have guessed by now I think.

But I would like to follow up on Nichu's story about his first watch as 3rd Mate. In my case I joined a small ship at Heroya, near Prosgrunn, Norway at the tender age of 20, which meant that I was on dispensation, accepted by the Master of that ship. (See My Ship Thread)

We left in dense fog, bound for Esbjerg in Denmark and quit Pilot as it was getting dark. The Captain was a Warsailor and had been torpedoed trice and suffered from some nerve problem. He left the bridge with these encouraging words; "Proceed at full speed and keep a good lookout. Remember you are sailing on MY license".

There I was, all alone steaming along in bad visibility at 12 kts. In the Skagerak was a large fleet of Russian Herring Drifters and their Motherships, which we had to thread our way through. A rude introduction to the life of a watch going officer, with not much encouragement or support.
    Later I found that the Captain got so nervous in such situation that it was much better he went down then to make everybody else nervous as well.

Sorry, OT again.
    Last edited by ombugge; April 13th, 2010, 05:30.

Comment

facinating stories, i love those old memories.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        I tend not to approve user names which does not sound like a proper user name (e.g. sw45ghtk, shghujejk,...)...
        I just had an amusing thought on noticing this remark. Phew! Thank goodness I thought “seagull” first and before anyone else did – when having to think up a unique user name on the spur of the moment I have been known to use my amateur radio callsign gm8jav !!!!

Comment

members names

my user name kiki42 came about when i was very young i couldn't say christine it became kiki. and the year i was born. kiki42

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

The user name 'Paul Cobb'? Hmmm, well I could say it was because I'm fond of bread rolls or I like male swans, but I'd just be spinning a yarn. However, I can follow the trend to relate a nautical tale:

In the mid 70s, a friend and myself took our first backpacking holiday to Greece, flying to Athens where we spent a few days camping. We then struck camp and took the ferry from Piraeus which meandered through the Cyclades islands to Crete. Our destination was the small island of Ios which had a harbour, but not one suitable to take sea-going ferries. Instead, the ferry drops anchor in the bay offshore, and a stream of motor boats made their way out to the ferry to transfer any visitors.

The ferry lowered its disembarking steps and tethered them in place, but although the Aegean sea was a lovely turquoise colour and it was sunny, there was a choppy swell and the motor boats rose and fell quite alarmingly - especially when we considered the heavy rucksacks strapped to our backs, secondary bags and camera cases and the denims and hiking boots we were dressed in.

There were a few visitors queueing to leave, and my mate took one look at the task expected of him in attempting to get ashore and turned the colour of the sea! He seriously considered staying on until another island. I think one boat filled and left, then a second - we remained until last. The boatmen yelled to us to hurry up and my friend took one look at the crowded boat and said "It's ok, we'll get the next one." We were told "This is the last one." I could see my friend gradually sink at the knees.

I went first down the steps. The boat bobbed up and down, I looked into the depths and didn't give myself much hope if I missed my footing - I'd have sunk like a stone. Wait until the boat rises again...then launch myself onto the boats bulwarks and eagerly grab at rails running across the roof of the cabin section, while the weight of a fully laden rucksack with tent and the kitchen sink were trying to pull you backwards...phew, done it! But then it was my mate's turn! It really took some courage for him to do it - and if I remember rightly he started to fall backwards and had to be grabbed by the Greek boat crew!

Once ashore, straight for an ouzo to steady the nerves.

Mind you, the adventure only began there! To get to the beachside camp site meant catching a bus that was filled to bursting with locals. Rucksacks were thrown onto the roof and we were like 'Tsardines' inside - but that's another story...

Comment

It has been a morning for wonderful written English prose, first Wherrygirl in her Kong Olav “Salute” and now you Paul! An absolutely delightful read.
              Only problem is I might now need one of those ouzos myself if I am to have the nerve to attempt to string a sentence together today!

Comment

I agree to Seagull, this is a wonderful story. But i was not able to connect that story with the meaning of the name "Paul Cobb". Does it explain the name? Then there must be necessary some British insider knowledge...
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                  I agree to Seagull, this is a wonderful story. But i was not able to connect that story with the meaning of the name "Paul Cobb". Does it explain the name? Then there must be necessary some British insider knowledge...
                  Umm-mm-mm, got me puzzling, too. I'm British, but perhaps not enough of an insider to know the connection. Paul Cobb, come clean, man.
                  But I wouldn't have missed the story for anything, connection or not.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

"Ralf: But i was not able to connect that story with the meaning of the name "Paul Cobb". Does it explain the name? Then there must be necessary some British insider knowledge..."

"wherrygirl: I'm British, but perhaps not enough of an insider to know the connection. Paul Cobb, come clean, man."

Ok, you've got me bang to rights! I'll bare my soul. In the OED just one of the historic meanings of 'cob' is male swan (ie cob = male, pen = female). A swan, a graceful aquatic bird bobbing on the water; Paul Cobb, a not so graceful backpacking Brit nearly sinking like a stone to the bottom of the Aegean. I was destined for aquatic adventures with such a sea faring name!

And if I haven't yet convinced you, how about the name 'Elizabeth Swann' in the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movies?

So, why are myself and brother Barry called 'Cobb'?

Answer: because we 'aaarrrrrrr'!

Comment

Umm-umm-mm, a bit thin . But OK, I'll buy it. (Thinks - could do better. )
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                      X