• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPHOTO understanding

iPHOTO understanding

Silly question: iPhoto Basic Knowledge

Dear all,

I don't have any friends which has 'seen the light' like I have, so I have some maybe silly questions which I hope some member(s) might show their mercy on me and guide me.... Embarrassed.

iPhoto..... I have all my 70.000 + photographs on an external LACIE harddrive, neatly organized in folders of all types.

When I import photos to iPHOTO, does that mean the same as if the images imported will be stored at two different locations) on the iMAC and/or the external afterwards?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if the images get duplicated when being imported and what 'importing' the images actually means....

Thank you very much to the one which shows mercy on me...
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

As far as I understand, whenever you import - you copy. So yes, I would say they are duplicated.
    A little test I have always done for anything in a batch process mode, is to copy 10 images to an isolated folder > Import them > see if they are indeed copied. Takes all the guess work out of it, and takes all the heartache out of it too!!
    Hope this is of help Jan-Olav.
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post

iPhoto..... I have all my 70.000 + photographs on an external LACIE harddrive, neatly organized in folders of all types.
      And if you have not already done so, please, to save yourself big heartache in the future, make sure you back them all up on another drive. And i know you can get software that will keep your backed up stuff up to date, by that i mean it will only copy stuff to the drive that's not already on it.

I know drives do not fail too often, but with so many irreplaceable photos and memories on one drive, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Having said all of that, i am sure you will be well ahead of me on that one!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

They are backed up... I use Apples Time Machine for that enormous task!

Here is some replies I got to my question, on another place:

Yes. If you select and drag photos from your external drive they will be imported into iPhoto. You will then have two copies of each. One in iPhoto and one on your external drive.

Some people do not like the way that iPhoto organises and sorts photos. As you have been using your own system for a long time, I suggest that you import some of your pictures, use iPhoto for a short time to see if you like it.
        As Dave says, iPhoto works in its own way, some would say it's not as flexible as your current way of organising photos into separate folders in the Finder.

However, give it a chance and work in the way iPhoto wants to work, and it actually makes a lot of sense.

When you import photos, it stores them in a package file here:
        Home > Pictures > iPhoto Library

Apple don't recommend you routing around within this package file, instead they advise you do all your organising and editing within iPhoto itself. That's why when you double click the "iPhoto Library" icon it simply launches iPhoto. You can delve into the package file, but it's best not to do that as it can break iPhoto if you move or delete anything important.

There are three main ways to view your photos in iPhoto:

• iPhoto Library - this is the top icon in the list, and displays ALL the photos you've added to iPhoto, displayed in date order - so make sure the time/date on your camera is correct.

• Events - iPhoto creates groups of photos, called Events, based on the date and time they were taken. So, say you import a batch of photos directly from the camera from a birthday party. It will ask you to name the event when you import them, let's say you type "My 21st Birthday" for example. Clicking on the Events title in the list displays your group of photos under the "My 21st Birthday" category. You can create as many Events as you like, so this is a good way to organise photos taken on the same day, but you can also add any photos in your library to any event too, so it's not as restrictive as you might think.

• Albums - This is the nearest equivalent to your current way of organising photos, except it's all done within iPhoto instead of in the Finder. Basically, click the [+] button at the bottom left of the window to create a new Album, give it a name, then go to your main library at the top and select the photos you want to add and drag them onto the album name in the list. Drop them there and they're added to that Album. To select items that are next to each other, keep the shift key held. If you want to select items that aren't next to each other, press the Command key instead as you click the thumbnails.

It's important to understand that both Events and Albums are just links to the real photos in your main library at the top of the list. So, for example, you can add the same photo to multiple albums or events and there's only one copy of it and that's the one in the library at the top. It's very much like the way iTunes works in that you've the main library, then you've got Playlists which you drag tracks into (Albums and Events in iPhoto are the equivalent to iTunes' Playlists). Therefore, don't remove the photos from the main library at the top, otherwse they'll disappear from both Events and Albums that they appear in! This simplistic approach can sometimes trip newcomings up as they think iPhoto is storing multiple copies of the photo in both the Library, Events and Albums - which is not the case!

If you struggle with iPhoto's way of working, you could always try the free Google Picasa (just Google for it!!). This should allow you to have your photos arranged in separate folders in the Finder - as long as they're in your "Pictures" folder within your Home folder - and they'll appear in those groups within Picasa as it automatically scans the "Pictures" folder when you first launch it.

However, iPhoto is much more integrated with the other iLife apps (iMovie, iDVD and iWeb etc), so it's worth trying it out first if you want to use your photos in other ways (such as making DVDs, creating web pages etc).
        So, for example, you can add the same photo to multiple albums or events and there's only one copy of it and that's the one in the library at the top. It's very much like the way iTunes works in that you've the main library, then you've got Playlists which you drag tracks into (Albums and Events in iPhoto are the equivalent to iTunes' Playlists).
        Incorrect.

A photo can only be in one Event at a time but can be in many Albums.
        Remember that iPhoto is a Database. Albums, Smart Albums and so on are just indexed lists of which photos should appear when you click the name of the album. Never use Finder to move iPhoto images. Always do it from within iPhoto.
        I share the info here, in case others are also having the same questions.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
        X