No announcement yet.

Sigve's New Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was always especially unhappy that my Highland Adventures posts (from Scotland) vanished from my first gallery due to the Photobucket issue.
    I have now recreated those posts and will repost them over time in my new gallery.

HIGHLAND ADVENTURES, PART ONE. (This one is for Seagull)

In January 1983, I went to Scotland. I flew to Newcastle, and then took the train to Edinburgh, then on to Inverness, Glasgow and back to Newcastle. The weather was grey, but not wet. The Edinburgh – Inverness train was long, oldfashioned and with almost no people. I had a coupe for myself and felt like taking part in a Agatha Christie movie. It was dark inside, with almost no lights. The killer could come anytime. I felt. But only the conductor came. Fortunately I had a couple of beers and two minibottles of Glenfiddich on which I fortified myself until I reached Inverness alive in the evening. After leaving Edinburgh I took some pictures from the train window before it went too dark. (I tried to do it in the best W. Eugene Smith style, I had seen some magnificent pictures he had taken in China from trains).

Edinburgh, Sir Walter Scott Memorial.

Last edited by Sigve; March 7th, 2020, 13:48. Reason: Reposting from old gallery.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

The hurtigruten ships built in Italy 1949-50 (the codfish ships) were beautiful ships, state of the art for their time.
      This picture of Erling Jarl docked in Molde, is worth a closer study.
      The picture is undated, but taken after 1958, when the aft saloon was expanded to full with.
      Erling Jarl was in commission until 1980. (Photo: Jac Brun/Nasjonalbiblioteket/Wikipedia).

(PS: The were called codfish ships because they were partly payed for in codfish, due to a trade deal between the norwegain and italian states after the WW2).

(PSS: I have also seen a colour version of this picture, but in my opinion the b/w version is the most beautiful).
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

Such superb pictures from the old days. For me it ha a special thrill to see pictures from the 80ies when i was grewing up to an adult and had the feeling, that everything is new and modern. But there were still so much trains and ships around, that today are clearly veterans.

By the way, it is just a pity that none of the italian sisters have survived...
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sigve
          Sigve commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank You, Ralf.

HIGHLAND ADVENTURES PART TWO (Continued from Post #16)

When I visited Edinburgh in January 1983, BTA was my host, and I was given a guided tour of the town. My guide was Morag M. She took me to all the important sites, and I took pictures both from Calton Hill and the castle.

These two pictures are taken from Calton Hill:

And from the castle:

Then we went to a tea saloon where Morag introduced me to tea and scones (which I have loved ever since). I don’t remember where it was, except it was near the castle. Could it have been in High Street?

Afterwards she followed me to the Inverness train, where I took the pictures you have seen in post #16.

Two years later, I visited Scotland as a private tourist. I drove around in my car, and stayed with Morag and her family for two days. She gave me the advice to stay in scottish house hotels. That was a good idea; I remember I had to dress before dinner (fortunately I had brought a suit), and felt like a nobleman dining in great solitude near the blazing fireplace….

(Reposted from old gallery).
        Last edited by Sigve; March 10th, 2020, 13:36.
        Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

• yvneac
          yvneac commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice report Sigve. I like this black-and-white atmosphere.
          As a Frenchman I am not familiar with the English abréviations, so what is the BTA?

• Sigve
          Sigve commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank You, Yvneac. BTA means The British Tourist Association. Correction: British Tourist Authority.
          Last edited by Sigve; March 10th, 2020, 17:49.

As i can see, Edinburgh was quite crowded even those days. But it is much more today. We should have Cecilia joining in to name the places exactly.

Comment

• Sigve
          Sigve commented
          Editing a comment
          I sent a message to Seagull the other day, but so far she has not responded.

Excellent photojournalism, as always!

Comment

• Sigve
          Sigve commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Tommi, your comments are always appreciated.

SMOKE IN THE FJORDS 1): The tourist ferry Skagastøl and the cruise ship Queen Elizabeth II (?) had one thing in common; they sent out a hell of a lot of exhaust. The blue smoke lay like a lid over the village of Flåm every time she visited. Good that both of these pollutants are now gone. (Picture from July 2001).

Last edited by Sigve; March 10th, 2020, 21:25.
        Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

SMOKE IN THE FJORDS 2):
          Also Maxim Gorkiy was a big pollutant, laying a carpet of smoke over the small community of Flåm.

And so was the Saga Rose (ex Sagafjord).

Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            It's almost like they bring their own weather system with them: slightly foggy.

I am not sure if the new big ones are much better. You don't see the fine particulate matter. And at least there are much more ships visiting the fjords today. So it is very important to insist for the modernisation of the ships engines.

Comment

RAGNVALD JARL SAVED: The good maritime news from Norway last week, is that Ragnvald Jarl (Hurtigruta 1956-95) is sold to the same company that owns Nordstjernen.
            She is also known as Gann, Sjøkurs and NRK's Sommerbåten, but has been idle for some time, due to lack of sertificates. Everybody thought that her time was out and the scrappers were next.
            However, she has now arrived Gdansk to have a massive overhaul and upgrading and return ship-shape for the same type of use as Nordstjernen, that is tourist traffic along the norwegian coast and Svalbard.
            This means that another of the 50-60 class is saved; Finnmarken (museum ship), Harald Jarl (Serenissima), Lofoten (active duty) and now Ragnvald Jarl.
            This is indeed good news.
            Here she is seen as Gann in Flåm July 2006.
            (When RJ returns to active duty, she and Nordstjernen (both from 1956) will be the oldest hurtigruten ships still sailing).

Last edited by Sigve; March 11th, 2020, 11:41.
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              How Lucky you are in Norway to keep some of your old ships. Very few have this chance in France.

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              Great to hear that there are some serious plans to keep her shipshape.

Sterkoder noticed this a week ago.

https://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com...%B8kurs/page14

But it is nice to have such a beautiful picture of her together with other classics. She is a direct sistership to old Finnmarken, now the museum ship in Stokmarknes.
            These were the first two with the 60ies design (rounded bridge), while MS Nordstjernen nearly at the same time was still built with the same layout as MS Hakon Jarl and MS Polarly from 1952.

Interesting, that Blohm&Voss built at the same time two different kinds of Hurtigruten ships. Nordstjernen with Burmeister&Waine engine, Finnmarken and Ragnvald Jarl with MAN engine.

Comment

• Sigve
              Sigve commented
              Editing a comment
              In other maritime foras, I have seen mentioned that both Nordstjernen and Ragnvald Jarl will fill the Havila gaps in the Hurtigruten (sorry Kystruten) schedule from 2021, because Havila lacks two of the four ships needed in the service.
              I don't know how realistic this is.

CORONA:

Both Stavanger and Bergen have now banned cruise ship passengers from coming ashore, due to the corona virus situation.
            Oslo has banned all arrangements including more than 500 people. It is probably a question of time before hurtigruten passengers are not allowed to go ashore.

Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

VENUS AND TRYM in Nordsjøen, January 20, 1937. One of the major heroic rescue operations in Norwegian shipping history.
            ---

The cargo ship "Trym" was on its way from Kirkenes, via Kopervik, to Middlesbrough in the UK with iron ore.
            Shortly after they left Norway, it blew to a heavy storm. The crew had some problems with the maneuvering for a few days and on 18th of January one of the rudder bolts on the starboard side broke, causing them to lose control of the vessel.
            It started just after taking water through a hole in the hull and they had to send out emergency signals by telegraphy.

The Norwegian passenger ship MS "Venus" (BDS, Bergen - Newcastle) came to the rescue and after over a day at the accident position the crew of "Venus" managed to save all of the crew of "Trym".
            First and foremost because ordinary seaman Perry Opsal managed to swim across from the "Trym" to "Venus'" lifeboat with a line.
            Six of the crew were rescued by the lifeboat and after the wind subsided, the remainder were transferred successfully from "Trym" to "Venus" by a rescue chair.

Perry Opsal from "Trym" and those of the crew of MS "Venus" who participated directly in the rescue operation, were awarded the medal for noble deeds. On 6th of February 1937, First Commander Brynjulf ​​Bjarnir and nine crew members were awarded the King's Merit Medal in gold.
            The rescue campaign was widely covered in the media, both with newspaper articles, radio talk and books. The coastal radio stations in Wick in Scotland and at Utsira participated in the rescue operation. (Google Translate from Wikipedia).

Painted by Frank H. Mason. Displayed in Bergens Sjøfartsmuseum. Photo by Yours Truly March 2020.
            ---
            Venus (1931 - 1968), undated photograph (from Riksarkivets photoweb).

Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

• Ralf__
              Ralf__ commented
              Editing a comment
              Impressing story. Thank you for posting.

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              Very interesting story, thank you for sharing!

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Seamanship, thanks for sharing!

The good ship Balmoral (Fred Olsen) docked in Olden july 2019. Now i find the website "Fakta om fartyg" to be closed so I cant' check up on her history. I hope this closure is shortlived.

Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              Regarding FoF, I found some information from a "close source" to the person who has been running the site during the last 20 or so years. Apparently it tooks too much time and effort to update and at the same time communicate with people that has opinions about kind of details. "Theft" of pictures has also been a problem.
              FoF has been away before and returned, but I'm not too sure this time. But let's hope, it's truly been a gold mine for information.

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              Some more information about FoF,
              the author now says that the site will be back, but it will probably take a while.

Basic information from Wikipedia:

The ship was built 1988 as Crown Odyssey at Meyer shipsyard in Papenburg for Royal Cruise Line. She made cruises in the Caribbean Sea. 1992 she was sold to Kloster Cruise. In 1996 Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) bought the company, which was struggling financial problems. The Crown Odyssey was renamed to Norwegian Crown. 2000 she was running again as Crown Odyssey for Orientlines.

2003 she was refurbished in Singapore (Sembawang Shipyards), renovated totally and again renamed in Norwegian Crown. She was in duty for NCL until 26th of May 2006, and was then sold to Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines and chartered until November 2007.

At 7th of June 2006 the Norwegian Crown touched ground at St.Georges (Bermuda).

At 7th of November 2007 the ship was handed over to Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines. At 16th of November she docked in at Blohm + Voss Repair in Hamburg and was extended by 30,2 meter. So additional 186 passenger and 53 crew cabins were created. They installed also 60 new balkonies and various public areas were created or refurbished.

Im 2008 she began her duty as Balmoral.

Comment

Working...
            X