Sigve's New Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigve's New Gallery

In 2017 I stopped posting pictures in this forum due to the problems with Photobucket.
    Photobucket, as many of us experienced, took away my pictures over 42 pages in my "Sigve's Gallery".
    I tried Flickr, but was not satisfied. Now I'll make a new try, this time using Postimage.org/no as my platform. I have no experience with this service, but I hope the best.
    Since my original gallery is now empty of pictures, this is no longer of any interest.
    Therefore I'll start afresh with "Sigve's New Gallery".
    Some of my postings will be repostings of old material, if I find it to have interest. And as you perhaps remember, I'm a great hurtigrute enthusiast.
    I will post both maritime matters but also other things, nature, travels, happenings big and small...
    Best luck to all of us!
    Regards Sigve.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Riksarkivets digital fotoweb has lots of maritime pictures, its use and downloads are free of charge.
    I will start my new gallery with this beautiful picture of Kong Olav in the ice around Svalbard. Picture from 1978-1982 in VDS' livery.
    In the years 1968-1982, hurtigruten had weekly express sailings to Svalbard in the summer. They also visited Bjørnøya. Harald Jarl, Nordstjernen, Lofoten, Kong Olav and Nordnorge sailed in this service, which came to an end in 1983 due to shortage of ships.
    This picture is undated, and photographer unknown. (Reposting from old topic).
    Try out the fotoweb yourself at https://foto.digitalarkivet.no/fotoweb/

Regards; Sigve.
    ---

Comment

D/S Prins Olav was one of hurtigrutens most beautiful ships. The former british royal yacht Alexandra (1907) was bought
      to Norway in 1925 and renamed.
      In 1937 she was radically rebuilt for hurtigruten service.
      Alas, her career was short. In 1940 she was sunk by german planes west of Hammerfest under way to England. (Photo from Kanstadsamlingen/Nordland Museum/ Wikipedia).

Last edited by Sigve; March 6th, 2020, 11:08.
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---

Comment

Believe it or not. I enjoyed this delicious Skagen salad and a beer in Bergen bibliotek, the city library of Bergen, the other day.
        They also have plenty of books there, CD's, LP's, sheet music, videos and a lot of other things.
        But that you can enjoy such a treat in a library, is pretty un-norwegian.

Regards; Sigve.
        ---

Comment

The former day I dived into my stock photos and found this spring sensation from the Keukenhof flower park in Holland, april 1995.

Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

MS Nordlys in the lane, Solund, april 1998. The last picture is taken in Ytre Steinsundet, the narrowest spot in the whole lane.

Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              Navigation in a rocky lace. Stunning.

I read a book about the german Kaiser Wilhelm in Norway. Up to 1914 he was a frequent guest in the norwegian fjords. His contribution to the rebuilding of Ålesund after the fire in 1904 is worth to mention.
            His ship was the royal yacht Hohenzollern. According to the book, she was not especially seaworthy. Nevertheless, Wilhelm was a hard master, commanding his seamen to keep the ship shining at all times of the day. If that included that they had to wash the shipsides at night, well, then they had to do it....

Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

This message I found on a norwegian ferry:

Girls with long skirts, look out for the engines!
              Girls with short skirts, look out for the engineers!

Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                ...And next time, wear overalls!

DIMENSIONS AND PROPORTIONS:

Trondheim 2011:

Geiranger 2012:

Ålesund 2019:

Bergen 2008:
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                I hate these monsters of the seas.

Thank you so much again for rejoining the forum. We all missed your wonderful pictures.
              Such a delight and i am impressed by the perfect quality of the 1998 pictures of the Nordlys pictures. Maybe soon Ragnvald Jarl will join the list of the Svalbard cruisers!
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Message to all of us in these corona times, seen at Bergen Railway Station three days ago. Let's hope this forum will stay free of virus!

Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Atishoo….

• Oistein
                  Oistein commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bless you

M/S ILMATAR: After some years as a Silja Line ro-ro ferry between Sweden and Finland, and then some years of cruising in European waters, then VDS (Vesteraalens Dampskipsselskap) bought her in 1980. The company wanted to expand their activity to cruise in addition to the regular hurtigruten traffic.
                This was not a success at all. In 1982 the ship was laid up in Toulon, and in 1984 she was sold to Panama and her name changed to Viking Princess. Scrapped 2012. This picture is taken in London 1981. (Photo from Riksarkivets photoweb).

Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

REFLECTIONS: Kong Harald is reflected in the large windows of the new buildings at Skansekaia in Ålesund. Hurtigruta docks right outside the windows of the Ålesund town court, which has led to major concentration problems for the court's parties, who are beeing disturbed in their procedings. (Photo March 2016)

Last edited by Sigve; March 7th, 2020, 14:24.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---

Comment

Really enjoying these Sigve. Hope there are more to come!
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

The Chusan was a british liner and a cruise ship, which visited Norway many times in the 60-ies. This is an evening shot (reposted) from Skansekaia in Ålesund, august 1966.

The SS Chusan was a British ocean liner and cruise ship, built for the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company's Indian and Far East Service in 1950. She was named after Chusan, a small island off China. A smaller version of the SS Himalaya, the Chusan had a gross register tonnage of 24,215; and a capacity of 1,565 passengers and crew. She was built as a replacement for the RMS Viceroy of India, lost in the Second World War. She was 646.5 feet (197.1 m) long. The Chusan is said to have brought new standards of shipboard luxury to India and the Far East.[2] She was the last passenger liner built for P & O by Vickers-Armstrongs.
                      Chusan entered service in 1950, with her maiden voyage from London, England to Bombay, India. But she first made two "shake down" "all first class trips", one of a week's length and the other of a fortnight, sailing to Lisbon, Casablanca and Madeira. For most of her working life, she carried passengers between London, Bombay, and Japan, but from 1963 also operated to Sydney, Australia. In 1973, she retired from service and was sold to be scrapped at Chou’s Iron and Steel Company Ltd. in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. (Wikipedia).
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

• Oistein
                        Oistein commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I lived at that time about 200 meters from this place, so I'm sure I was present when this photo was taken.
                        Cruise ship visits were an event many came to see, and especially take part in the farewell when they left Ålesund. Lots of people, serpensins and music band on the dock
                    Working...
                    X