VOLGA CRUISE JUNE 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOLGA CRUISE JUNE 2019

Last June we did a cruise aboard the Anton Tchekhov from Saint Petersbourg to Moskow.
    Here are some photos taken during this this trip.
    We spent two full days in Saint Petersbourg before reaching the ship, not enough to discover this beautiful city but OK for a first approach.

Saint Sauveur sur le sang versé cathedral.

Pierre-et-Paul fortress

Nevski pospekt

Along the canals

Post soviets humour.

Famous russian puppets

Street restaurant

When visiting a palace you have to preserve the wooden floor

But, before you have to queue!

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, #2/4, this is known as "Swedish safety boots" in the oil industry. (At least the Norwegian one)

• wherrygirl
      wherrygirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Keeps the floor nicely polished, too.

Our ship Anton Tchekhov.
    Don't know for this one but a lot of these cruise ships were built in the former DDR (east Germany) in the 70's and recently refurbished.

where can i upload a picture to get a url

free picture hosting websites

Comment

Promising start. I have to show #2/4 (the last one) to Regine. She is always trying to convince me to a trip to St.Petersburg and i don't want - out of this reason...
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• yvneac
        yvneac commented
        Editing a comment
        Regine is right Ralf. St Perersbourg is a place to go...but in my opinion, not during this period (mid June) because it is that they call the "white nights" so there are an increase of tourists both Russians and foreigners. If I return it would be in May with an accomodation in the city center. But I insist: it's a very nice town with a rich culture.

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        At the same time i posted, your next post came. Your ship was built in Austria and was the most comfortable Russian river cruiser at that time (1978).

Leaving St Petersbourg, we came up river Neva as far as the fortress of Schlusselbourg, then we entered in lake Ladoga, largest european one.

how to upload pic

best image hosting free

images up

free pic upload

Comment

What an amazing cruise!

I'll be looking forward to see all the things you enjoyed on this particular journey.

Saint Petersburg is a very fascinating place, and I'm both lucky and honoured to having had the opportunity to visit many times - even back when it was Leningrad too!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Along the Svir river between lakes Ladoga and Onega.

Comment

The whole country is covered with large forrest, so the wooden industry is one of the main activity in the area. We crossed a lot of boats loaded with logs.

Comment

Early in the Morning we had a call at the island of Kiji on lake Onega. The "parish close" is on the UNESCO list and its churches are built with tiles made with birch and aspen. The aspen ones have a silver colour since they are new but will change to the black in the future.

Comment

The icons Inside the Church.

Comment

During this voyage, the ship must take many locks.

Comment

A call at Ouglish, a pretty little city on the Volga.

Comment

The last part of this journey follows the Moscow canal, connecting Volga to Moscova. Its length is 128 km, and it was built betweem 1932 and 1937 mostly by Gulag prisonners under the direction of KGB.

With this canal Moscow has an access to 5 seas : White, Baltic, Caspian, Azov and Black sea.

Nowadays its banks are a place for real estate projects, mostly blocks of luxury flats. « Normal people » has not access to this expensive appartments.

Comment

Impressive pictures. Such a large land! Everything seems to be big, ships, locks houses - and then again lonely landscape and small, undeveloped villages. Must be fascinating!
                        How was the average age of the passengers on your ship? Have you been youngsters among the travellers?
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• yvneac
                          yvneac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No teenagers onboard Ralf! As we say in French, it was not a rock'n roll atmosphere. average age about 50 - 70.

• Ralf__
                          Ralf__ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          But that is still okay. In Greece we needed the crew to draw the average age below 70....

Some views of Moscow.

Inside Kemlin.

Poutine's car park.

On the Red Square, Lenine's mausoleum.

Comment

Working...
                        X