Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMPRESSIONS OF CRETE

IMPRESSIONS OF CRETE
    In late October, I spent a week in the west part of Crete.
    The period allows avoiding the crowd of summertime even though a nice weather is not guaranteed. The staff of the hotel told us that the previous week was enjoyable but I had three quite sunny days followed by a big storm.
    This part of the island keeps the memory of its history and the towns of Rethymnon and Chania (Hania or La Canée) have an architecture showing both Byzantine, Venetian or Ottoman periods.
    In the countryside olive trees and vineyards are dominant, a typical Mediterranean landscape. The mountains are cut by deep gorges (due to the bad weather Samaria was closed for the hikers).
    As for the life, we are in Greece. Easy- going. No rush. Take your time. Be happy. Smile. A way of life that the ayatollahs of the New Economy would like to destroy. Hopefully it’s easier said than done!

idle in Rethymnon

The old town

Taverna

Enjoy a "frappé"(greek cold coffee) at the venetian harbour.

Comment

Ottoman sign

Ottoman wooden balcony

Comment

Cretan products.

Here olive oil is a must.Sweet and tasty.

And ouzo too

Fresh fish.

As anywhere in Greece, the komboloi is the best gadget to pass the time.

Comment

This looks promising, and I feel like I need a vacation!

Comment

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice place to take few days off.

OK, I have sussed Komboloi, though I can think of better ways to pass the time. . You could always hang them round your neck, I suppose. Did you get a string, Yves??? I can imagine you very quickly becoming proficient at the swirling.
          I went to Crete many years ago but to the eastern side, staying at a charming little B&B hotel in Agios Nicolaus. My reason for going was to see Knossos and I'll never forget catching the bus/coach along to Heraklion, then the little local bus up to the site. The bus windows were all wide open so that half a gale seemed trapped inside as we helter-skeltered along. Knossos was breathtaking, a coach party being led around were there for about two hours, but I was wandering around for about five!
          I caught another bus later, going south to an archaeological site whose name I forget. It was deserted except for a little tabby kitten who seemed pleased to see another living creature. But I can't remember ever getting further west than Knossos. Is Samaria the very long gorge that is so popular with experienced walkers?
          More impressions, please. These are delightful.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Ivy.
            Unfortunately,I didn't get time to go to Knossos.Next time...
            Yes Samaria is the most well-known gorge of Crete.But there are many others.

Still in Rethymnon

Comment

The harbour

The venetian lighthouse

Fishing time

Not sure the European flag is in fashion these days in Greece.

Comment

Nice start on a new thread!

Greece is a wonderful holiday destination for all us "northeners" starving for some more pleasant temperatures near to home.

I have quite a few personal favourite places in Greece, and I know I'm not the only one.

That taverna looks great, but I would rather sit and sip a frappé at the Venetian harbour.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Rough weather can create a nice atmosphere.....but three days,I must admit it was not what I expected!

Comment

Clouds above the mountains at sunset.

Comment

I never experienced this kind of weather in Crete. I was there in springtime once and in summer twice, always without any clouds!! But you are awaking nice memories, this is more than 20 years ago now...
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Olive trees

With its nets

Lemon

Orange

Vineyards

Comment

Adele village

A Norwegian owner?

Comment

You spotted the Norwegian flag too!

Wonderful impresions of a very popular holiday country for all Scandinavians. Our "get-away".
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                          X