• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagull
    started a topic SS365 – Seagull's Skyscape

SS365 – Seagull's Skyscape

Coming soon . . . SS365 . . .

The 22nd of November is St.Cecilia’s Day. No, it’s not my birthday, but as my “name day” it is usually an excuse for a celebration of some kind. Sometimes that has taken the form of attending a concert, for St.Cecilia is the patron saint of music and there is usually some special musical event or other taking place. But I had decided that this year the day was going to be different, something extra special.

It would be the day when I would start my 365!

I wanted so very much to show pakarang what following his project had meant to me, and just how much of an inspiration it has been. Embarking on my own project would surely be the best possible way of telling him these things and saying the biggest possible thank you imaginable.

But as the months and weeks passed, I started to consider that my relationship to photography is rather similar to my relationship with music. I love listening to all kinds of music, and even have a knowledge of and appreciation of the finer points of the classical genre, but I don’t actually play an instrument or even sing very well. Similarly I really enjoy just looking at the very best work of photographers.

I do have some technical understanding of photography (having had a professional connection in two different scientific disciplines), and of course I have a camera and take lots of photos! I do try to ensure that photos I post on CV are reasonably competent and presentable. But I don’t consider photography a hobby of mine, just a useful adjunct to other hobbies, interests and enthusiasms.
    So reluctantly I realised that 365 was not for me. I did manage to be just a tiny bit creative by planning a cartoon saying so for Elizabeth’s thread, but that was intended to be my last word on the subject.

However…. even before I got around to posting the cartoon, I’d started to see things a little differently ….

I was attending a conference on meteorological satellites, and this particular day had a particularly early start and rather a formidable number of papers and presentations before the coffee break …. It was all very worthy stuff about agreeing on common standards for data archiving, calibration of data, instrumentation for the next generation of satellites, and suchlike, and there were many tables and figures and graphs to look at …..and then someone actually started his talk with a photo of a CLOUD – not a satellite image, just an ordinary photo looking up at a cloud.

Ok, it soon became just the “wallpaper” for the graphs and tables in his PowerPoint presentation. But for me it was a eureka moment! Of course, a cloud a day, that was what I could do for my 365!!!!!!!!!!!! A 365 that really was a “seagull kind of thing” that I would actually enjoy doing. Seagull being herself.

I soon realised that it will be far from easy. The following day it was really far too nice weather to be sitting indoors at lectures, but looking upwards as I eventually emerged for the lunch break, I wasn’t sure that a plain blue rectangle would have been an acceptable 365, nor the equally uniform grey one of the following day! But there were days of subtle variations of shades of grey, and I was beginning to see that choosing the extent of the image was in itself something of a mildly creative act and the result an interpretation of nature’s own abstract art.

There would have to be days that were more than simply clouds, other motifs could be allowed, even a little bit of the surrounding landscape once in a while, photos that would have been equally at home in CV’s "Gallery of sunrises and sunsets", "Moonlight Serenade" and some of the collections of seasonal images.
    So not CC365 then (Cecilia’s Clouds) but, let me see, it’s going to be SS365 : Seagull’s Skyscape.

I have already committed to a 365-like discipline of working towards some significant contribution for CV each day, and I hope I will be able to continue that resolve also. (I’ve even been thinking of some spin-off connections between SS365 and other threads and posts that might make it slightly more interesting for others.)

But really SS365 is for myself and for Jan-Olav, and when I waver in my resolves or it all seems just too difficult or even pointless, I’ll look once again through Jan-Olav’s year of 365 and remind myself what brought me here.

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    Enjoy!!!!!

• Sigve
    replied
    In fact, no. Not until you pointed it out to me. I'll have a look. Be sure!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Sigve, have you also seen the second year, Skyscape 2 which started in May 2011?

Leave a comment:

• Sigve
    replied
    Seagull; have you ever thought about repeating this incredible project? From time to time I open this thread, views a collection of skyscapes, another day another collection, and so on....

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Re: SS365 – Seagull's Skyscape

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    ....I’ll only be tell you in due time how it works for me in a personal way as diary and a record and remembrance of the past year.
    It did work.

It’s working today, as I remember this day three years ago.
    …when I was remembering five years before then.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    My dear! – at the end it says that it is for you – so yes, of course you may
    (though only when you have more leisure for such things, you hard worker )

Actually it would be me who would feel honoured.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Lady C....

Would you allow me putting these in an own album on the main page?

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/captai...s_and_Art.html

If you would give me that honor, I'd love to have it there.... I might not get a time to do it right now, but as a future project of mine.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Oh, Cecilia...you had to go and make me think "calendar"....
    Every year, I collect up the family photos and "do" a calendar for the family...not just 12 photos though, I use Shutterfly and they have multiple photo options on each page...
    Well, given the "events" of the past few months, I haven't gotten around to it yet...grrrr.......
    oh, well...it gets done when it gets done.....

Maybe I'll work on it today......instead of wrapping prezzies........

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    That seasonal thank you …

Dear CV friends and Skyscape supporters,
    Those of you with good memories might just be wondering if my memory is so bad that I’d forgotten I’d said this in post #373!!!!:

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...3317#post33317

Well, with Skyscape not concluding until 22nd November, the time-scale was frankly over-optimistic anyway, and that was before the worst snow in years caused chaos with the postal service here. So I’ve realised it would be best to wait until next year.

It might actually be even more appreciated after that period of time has passed, and I’d have the pleasure of the leisure to really enjoy selecting the images for each of you (and yes, believe me, I do remember your favourites!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ). So expect a little reminder next autumn to PM me a snail-mail address if I don’t already have yours.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    So proud of you.... so happy, you have no idea how much pleasure you have given me by fulfilling your one year long engagement!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Originally posted by ehp View Post
    ....Now don't dare take a photo of sky for at least a week!!!!!....
    This warning already came too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sitting at the computer, scarcely more than an hour after posting the final images, I happened to look out of the window…saw an attractively lit cloud, and had grabbed my camera, opened the window and leaned out before my brain even started to form the thought “I don’t have to do this”……

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    ....I can't wait to learn more about what was your thoughts now as you have completed it. What was the hardest, what was the best thing with the project.... and would you ever do it again?
    …well, in light of what I’ve said to E above, I am almost wondering if the hardest thing will be actually stopping! (Maybe that answers the question of whether I’d do it again too!).
    But of course there were times when it was really really hard to fit it into busy or otherwise preoccupied times, and those evenings which found me in some panic with no picture yet taken. A more regular difficulty was not so much actually taking the photo, but the time it takes to organise and prepare the images. That is probably the hardest thing. There were also choices to be made, for I frequently took many images in a day –limiting myself to taking only one photo whilst needing to be sure I actually ended up with one, would, if you think about it, have deprived you of most of those stunning sunsets!

But, as you, pakarang, and Elizabeth too seem to have experienced, there is a difficult period when the end is in sight (far too close to abandon the project with any grace), but with still some way to go. I called it my Samuel Beckett phase, for a quotation from “Endgame” seemed to sum up my mood:
    Finished, it's finished, nearly finished, it must be nearly finished.

…and the final words from “The Unnamable”, (I imagined pakarang saying the first four words!) :
    You must go on. I can't go on. I'll go on.

I’m sure I’m not temperamentally suited to a more general “anything goes” project premise. I would very soon descend to a halt due to total indecision about what to photograph. The perfectionist and unconfident bit of me also needs to be able to blame what a real photographer would consider an unsatisfactory image on “the weather” …. ” that was what it was like that day” … “it’s not my fault”!

The best thing about the project may have been coming up with subject matter that was “me” and therefore both enjoyable and achievable. So now looking back I feel really good about it, about myself, about having made Jan-Olav proud to have influenced and encouraged me to do it, and that in the end I have given him something unique and special.

I’ll only be tell you in due time how it works for me in a personal way as diary and a record and remembrance of the past year.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    .... each of the pictures has a special detail, which thrills me and makes it special for itself....
    Thank you so much for this unique project and for all your work. This was wonderful to follow....
    Ralf, thank you so very much for such a thoughtful and considered response to the images of these final few days, and for being such a staunch supporter of Skyscape throughout the whole year.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Oh, Cecilia!! What a way to end! Simply splendid!! THIS NEEDS TO BE MADE INTO A BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So very proud of YOU!
    (Now don't dare take a photo of sky for at least a week!!!!!)

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Congratulations on the completion of your one year long project.

I can't wait to learn more about what was your thoughts now as you have completed it. What was the hardest, what was the best thing with the project.... and would you ever do it again?

And, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so very much for your dedication. I'm at loss for words (and as you know me, that is something that doesn't happen often).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X