No announcement yet.

SS365 – Seagull's Skyscape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was really strange how the weather seemed to come to a stop along with your project E, and I’m so glad I’d been looking through all your images, as this was a huge boost in the circumstances of the following few days.

324 was one of those photos that one takes although at the time it doesn’t seem at all special, but coming back to it later . . . .I suppose that subconsciously something attracts to make one take it in the first place, your “grabs” is perhaps a better word for that.
    Did you look back at 291? – similar view but very different feel to it. I am very pleased about how the “same place, different time” sub-plot of the project has emerged.

Comment

My favourite is #323,. especially if i look out of my window in the fog now. Perfect November preview...

#322 is also impressive, look at the different colours of the clouds!!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

What a year - what a fantabulous year it has been, and you are almost there.. almost there!

Too many favourites to just choose one. Love them all, as I just simply can't pick one.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The Skyscape Diaries – 2010 October 15

Jan-Olav has already seen an image I took this day, and was probably expecting it to appear here also. Indeed that had been my intention when, even before the first intimation of a golden sunset, I set off up the hill to take a photograph and spend some time in a special place.

Dazzled as the sun emerged from a cloud layer just before touching the horizon, I turned around ... and gasped aloud in wonder. Two small fragile slivers of colour, far apart, each growing and extending before my eyes until they gently touched, merging overhead to form the most beautiful rainbow I have ever seen.

No photograph could capture the height and extent of that glorious arc, the sensation of soft moist air and fast moving clouds rushing beneath it towards me, and the feeling that I could have just stepped forward and entered another world.

Comment

Day 326– 2010 October 13

Comment

Day 327– 2010 October 14

Comment

Day 328– 2010 October 15

Comment

Day 329– 2010 October 16

Comment

Day 330– 2010 October 17

Comment

Day 331– 2010 October 18

Comment

Day 332– 2010 October 19

Comment

Oh Lady C, Lady C!!!! This week is too delicious for WORDS! I can't pick a favorite....but that rainbow is amazing...but so are ALL of them!!!!! Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!!!! and 33 days to go!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!

Comment

During the last two weeks i had the impression, that motives are repeating. Maybe the topic would have been fulfilled after so many daya....? I even told a friend about it. And now this!! A teriffic week!!! A big wow for #328, not only it is technically perfect, you catched this unique moment, and that is big art. I have to correct my opinion to my frien!!!
                            Can't wait for the rest!!!
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

The Skyscape Diaries – about Skyscape as a diary!

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                              During the last two weeks i had the impression, that motives are repeating....
                              Ummm, I guess this is all my fault, me always picking favourites in other threads. Taking threads of pakarang’s as an example, there are usually so many wonderful images that it isn’t possible to have time to say lots about every one, so I choose and call such selected ones “favourites”, and before you know it everyone is having favourites everywhere! Fine in most contexts (like the fun of picking a favourite house in your recent Bavarian photos, Ralf!). But there I was every week picking my favourites of EP365! In a way it goes rather against the idea of a 365, which is as much about the complete whole as individual images.

Even the concept of a week is artificial, for seven consecutive photos could start at any point. I had actually been thinking that (apart from if I was away or had no internet access) I really should have posted on a daily basis rather than weekly, so as to stop myself from introducing artificial variation retrospectively, as in thinking “too many sunsets this week, I’d better select other subjects for some of the days”.

So you could say a 365 is more like a diary than a novel. A daily diary is constrained by what one actually did and saw that day, even if what one did and saw might be much the same as the day before and the day before that. In Skyscape, I was very attracted to some threads in old forum –I think it was Tom’s originally –where the exact same view was taken at regular intervals, thus emphasising the different light and seasons. I suppose I liked the somewhat scientific observational aspect. Anyway it was always my intention that motifs should be repeated.

As well as the analogy of a diary, a 365 also really is a kind of diary for the person making it –perhaps more obviously so in Elizabeth’s wonderful documentary of her daily life and her immediate surroundings – but also there for me in Skyscape when I look back on the year. It is rather wonderful to discover that others are in fact able to read my diary, as Ralf was actually doing in what had seemed to him like two repetitive weeks. Yes, I hadn’t got out much (just back from Singapore and wanting to sort and post those photos right away especially while the F1 race was still current, and also as a thank you to Ombugge for his kind hospitality). From time to time I opened the window and took a photo for Skyscape!

But there are also a few dates in a year when the content of a diary entry is to some extent anticipated –the NewYear retrospect and resolutions, starting a new job, a birthday, the anniversary of something. Day 328 was the latter, as I set out to a special place to sit and reflect, intending to take the day’s photo from there whatever it looked like.
                              But then something extraordinary happened. The gift of a unique moment, caught to take its place amongst more ordinary days.

Comment

Soon you'll see the finish line with your beautiful 365-day project, Seagull
                                You provide stunning images every time I look at your page.

Comment

Working...
                                X